Transporting bicycle from HCM to VT

I'm a keen cyclist living in HCM and would like to be able to bring my bike over to VT a couple of times a month to enjoy the let's say more 'sedate' traffic and scenery.

Due to time restraints and the 200+ km round trip from HCM i prefer not to ride there and back, and would rather spend my energy enjoying VT.

Does anyone know if any of the bus services allow you to bring a bicycle on board? I can't seem to get an answer from them here.

Thanks.

departed00 wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the bus services allow you to bring a bicycle on board? I can't seem to get an answer from them here.

AFAIK, there isn't any.  Even the Greenlines Ferry does not allow bicycle on board.

do you have a vn car licence? you can hire a car starting @ 400k a day if your making a weekend of it and 2 of you then its just about as cheap as a limo bus and you get to take your bike.

departed00 wrote:

I'm a keen cyclist living in HCM and would like to be able to bring my bike over to VT a couple of times a month to enjoy the let's say more 'sedate' traffic and scenery.

Due to time restraints and the 200+ km round trip from HCM i prefer not to ride there and back, and would rather spend my energy enjoying VT.

Thanks.

Used a vip limousine van to go to Saigon on Sunday afternoon. Was full going there. But coming back around 7 pm there was only one other customer. Don't know if it's worth phoning/visiting one of those companies and asking. Maybe they'll allow you to take bicycle during a less busy time for a higher ticket price. Search Internet for 'loc phat vip limousine', or 'Thanh Vinh limousine', or 'Huy hoang limousine'.

Other options is hiring car (if you drive) like someone said earlier or search facebook groups for private hire.

Another options is to wait till the ferry service from Can Gio to Vung Tau opens (it was due to open in September):

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/pla … 06219.html

However, it says elsewhere that it's now due to open this month:

https://plo.vn/do-thi/pha-bien-can-gio- … 34487.html

Trucks, cars and motorbikes allowed, so presumably bicycles will be allowed too.

Last time i took the ferry from HCMC to VT back in June, I'm pretty sure I saw cyclists who were returning from VT disembarking with their bikes. But, yes, their website says "Our guest are kindly requested: - Not to bring on board motorcycle or bicycle."

Also, Futa buses (the orange one, Phuong Trang in VNese) has a luggage space underneath like most buses. There's usually not much luggage, so you could lay the bike down and secure it somehow. Their office is on Pham Ngu Lao St near De Tham close to Allez Boo Bar unless they've moved again.

Alternatively, you could rent a bike in VT but not sure about the quality.

If you're on Facebook, check out the Expats in VT groups. There are several.

Thanks guys. I saw that the Can Gio ferry will be opening soon so that's one option to take a few km off the trip.

I also just found at that the greenlines ferry will carry a bike at 100k extra (captains coffee money according to my friend) however this time of year it's a little rough out there.

The ferry does allow bicycles even though it's website says no.  We took our bikes on it during Tet in February.  I think they charge you about 100k.  Just go to the office an ask.  The lady there is nice and you can confirm it.  They just tie it to the back of the boat.

Ciambella wrote:
departed00 wrote:

AFAIK, there isn't any.  Even the Greenlines Ferry does not allow bicycle on board.

We traveled from HCM to VT on the ferry both ways and each time there were 2 people with bikes on board. It might pay to ask at the check in office.

Wadey

sanooku wrote:
departed00 wrote:

Thanks.

Used a vip limousine van to go to Saigon on Sunday afternoon. Was full going there. But coming back around 7 pm there was only one other customer. Don't know if it's worth phoning/visiting one of those companies and asking. Maybe they'll allow you to take bicycle during a less busy time for a higher ticket price. Search Internet for 'loc phat vip limousine', or 'Thanh Vinh limousine', or 'Huy hoang limousine'.

Other options is hiring car (if you drive) like someone said earlier or search facebook groups for private hire.

Another options is to wait till the ferry service from Can Gio to Vung Tau opens (it was due to open in September):

Trucks, cars and motorbikes allowed, so presumably bicycles will be allowed too.

Anyone got an update on ferry  Can Gio to Vung Tau, like is it up running yet?
Got a trip HCMC to Vung Tau soon & the ferry would make a nice change from all the way on the road on my moto. Or is there any other ferries taking motorbikes not too far from HCMC going to Vung Tau?

goodolboy wrote:
sanooku wrote:
departed00 wrote:

Thanks.

Got a trip HCMC to Vung Tau soon & the ferry would make a nice change from all the way on the road on my moto. Or is there any other ferries taking motorbikes not too far from HCMC going to Vung Tau?

Google is your friend.  :D

Ferry

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
sanooku wrote:

Google is your friend.  :D

Ferry

Looks like I will have to wait for the ferry ride then that's a pity .........road it is then :cool:

How much will the Can Gio Ferry take off the total distance from HCM to VT?  My guess is about 30%.  As a bicycle ride, passing through Can Gio may be preferable to going out on Hanoi Hwy with it's heavy trucks, and down on Route 51, it is not exactly scenic.

THIGV wrote:

How much will the Can Gio Ferry take off the total distance from HCM to VT?  My guess is about 30%.  As a bicycle ride, passing through Can Gio may be preferable to going out on Hanoi Hwy with it's heavy trucks, and down on Route 51, it is not exactly scenic.

Exactly what I was thinking.......dont think there is much to gain time wise, just a change & its been nearly 3 years since I went to sea after spending nearly half my life there!! so will bring back memories.

There are actually two ferries if you take that route.  First one gets you on to Gan Gio island from Nha Be District and the new ferry takes you to Vung Tau.   There is actually another small ferry from Long An to Can Gio but that is the long way around for most people. 

Personally there is something I love about ferries.  It may be the break you get from driving or the deep throb of the huge diesel engines.  Maybe it is being able to look over the other passengers who would just be a blur going by on a bridge.   Anyway, I always feel a twinge of sadness when I see a new huge bridge go up if I know that another ferry will be lost.

THIGV wrote:

No need to go out onto AH1. Catch the ferry through Cat Lai/ Nhon Trach and dodge a lot of the traffic.

I've taken the Greenlines HCM-VT ferry a number of times as i love to be out on the water. The initial hr or so is lovely until you get into the open water before Vung Tau where it can get very choppy.

Last time it was too rough to dock in Vung Tau when we arrived so we had to wait around 500m offshore in rough water for around 30 mins until there was a gap in the swell! I think i was the only person who wasn't throwing up....

departed00 wrote:

I've taken the Greenlines HCM-VT ferry a number of times as i love to be out on the water. The initial hr or so is lovely until you get into the open water before Vung Tau where it can get very choppy.

Last time it was too rough to dock in Vung Tau when we arrived so we had to wait around 500m offshore in rough water for around 30 mins until there was a gap in the swell! I think i was the only person who wasn't throwing up....

I took the ferry from Vung Tau to My tho this time of year two years ago. It left Vung tau about 1 hour late (not sure if this was due to bad weather), but once we set sail it was plain sailing (pun intended). However, it did become bumpy.

About bicycles - come to think of, when boarding the ferry at Vung Tau, I remember seeing someone coming off the ferry (which had just arrived at Vung Tau) pushing a bicycle. I don't know if it was just this ferry or the particular service (Vung Tau to My Tho) but remember that there weren't any ramps. So, I had to carry my huge suitcase weighing about 25kg and another bag on stairways to board the ferry. Bit of a pain.

Depending on the type of material bike is made of, may be take some precautions before and after (good wash afterwards and WD40), as it's bound to be sprayed with salt water from the ocean if it's tied to the back of the ferry.

After some in person enquiries it seems like Futa bus will take a bike for 120k on their big bus from D1. Hoa Mai said they will take a bike for free if they can fit it in.

Stay away from Hoa Mai, complete maniacs on the road.

colinoscapee wrote:

Stay away from Hoa Mai, complete maniacs on the road.

Ditto.

OO or  00

I hope you are good !! no cough !

Ask the bus company to haul your bike ,  if you go by boat , ask them.
There is a service that hauls motorcycles , ask at Style Motorccle in HCMC (google it)
good luck

Tom

Dear all,
the new Can Giocar ferry connects two of the most popular destinations near Ho Chi Minh City: Can Gio mangrove forest and Vung Tau beach. This new ferry route is cheap and easy to use, fun and convenient, frequent and fast. The crossing only takes 30-60 minutes, and travel time between downtown Saigon and Vung Tau via the new ferry is just 2-3 hours, depending on the time of day. This is only marginally longer than it takes via the main highway. What's more, the Can Gio↔Vung Tau car ferry is far more pleasant, scenic, and quiet than taking the main highway as it doesn't involve the horrible crawl through the industrial suburbs. This new ferry route also means it's no longer necessary to go via Saigon if you're travelling between the southern coast and the Mekong Delta.

Are these 2 ferries, mentioned in previous replies (VT to My Tho, VT to Long An) still running. I was in VT last month, and was told that there are no more ferries from VT to the Delta area.