Vung Tau local bus to Mega Market?

Vung Tau is one of the places I am considering for a place to settle. One of the things that make it a contender for me is (in addition to fresh air and ocean breezes) the fact that there is a MM Mega Market there.

Mega Market is my favorite of all the supermarkets because they have low cheese prices, excellent and huge variety of stuff that puts Big C to shame, and wonderful GAP produce that they grow in their own farming system including stuff like Parsley and Frisse lettuce that is hard to find anywhere else.

However, when I checked it on Google Maps, it showed Mega Market as being quite far outside Vung Tau city, I think something like 9 km.

Since I don't drive, I wonder if there is a local Vung Tau bus that goes there, and, if there is, what time does it stop operation? Buses in VN usually stop service at ridiculously early hours that make it difficult for me as I tend to get out of the house very late in afternoon or early evening.

Thanks for any info.

hyagly256 wrote:

Vung Tau is one of the places I am considering for a place to settle. One of the things that make it a contender for me is (in addition to fresh air and ocean breezes) the fact that there is a MM Mega Market there.

Mega Market is my favorite of all the supermarkets because they have low cheese prices, excellent and huge variety of stuff that puts Big C to shame, and wonderful GAP produce that they grow in their own farming system including stuff like Parsley and Frisse lettuce that is hard to find anywhere else.

However, when I checked it on Google Maps, it showed Mega Market as being quite far outside Vung Tau city, I think something like 9 km.

Since I don't drive, I wonder if there is a local Vung Tau bus that goes there, and, if there is, what time does it stop operation? Buses in VN usually stop service at ridiculously early hours that make it difficult for me as I tend to get out of the house very late in afternoon or early evening.

Thanks for any info.

I take a GRAB ride there about once a month, early in the day to get there before they sell out of fresh salmon.

I haven't seen a bus going there, but perhaps someone else has.

I have asked ADMIN to please consider moving this new thread from "Vietnam" to:

Vietnam > Vung Tau > Cars & Transportation

Hopefully you'll get an answer there.

I've been disappointed with the freshness of their specialty produce items; all kept together in a cooler case along the right side of the produce department.

The other standard produce items seem to turn over more frequently and appear fresher.

I really like Mega Market, but for the items you are seeking, I think you'll be happier with the selection at Lotte Mart, which is much more centrally located (location is incorrect on Google Maps; I just sent a correction which will likely show up in 24 hours)

Good luck!

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

... Lotte Mart, which is much more centrally located (location is incorrect on Google Maps; I just sent a correction which will likely show up in 24 hours)

Until it's updated just search for 'Lotte Cinema Vung Tau' or 'KFC Lotte Mart vung tau'. They are both in the same building as the Supermarket, however, their locations are correct.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

Thanks for any info.

I take a GRAB ride there about once a month, early in the day to get there before they sell out of fresh salmon.

I've been disappointed with the freshness of their specialty produce items; all kept together in a cooler case along the right side of the produce department.

The other standard produce items seem to turn over more frequently and appear fresher.

I really like Mega Market, but for the items you are seeking, I think you'll be happier with the selection at Lotte Mart, which is much more centrally located (location is incorrect on Google Maps; I just sent a correction which will likely show up in 24 hours)

Good luck!

Probably nitpicking, but if you're replying to the whole post directly above yours, surely you don't need to quote it. :/

Any particular reason(s) for doing it?

hyagly256 wrote:

Thanks for any info.

I think most likely there is a public local bus running along that route, I'll see if I can get some details. In my 4 years of living in VT, I've never felt the need to go there. In addition to Lotte, there is Co-op Mart, several smaller shops with imported stuff, such as Linh Phuong and Q Mart, the Circle K and Family Mart convenience stores, and the local markets and vendors for fruits and vegetables.

With all of those options, I think you will be able to find pretty much anything you might desire.

sanooku wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

Thanks for any info.

Good luck!

Probably nitpicking, but if you're replying to the whole post directly above yours, surely you don't need to quote it. :/

Seriously, you might not be aware but every individual Post in this forum has a unique URL

In the off chance that someone might want to quote one of our posts in the future, by quoting in my post, no matter how close it is to the op, it becomes self-contained without need for further reference back to the op.

Cheers!

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
sanooku wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Good luck!

Seriously, you might not be aware but every individual Post in this forum has a unique URL

In the off chance that someone might want to quote one of our posts in the future, by quoting in my post, no matter how close it is to the op, it becomes self-contained without need for further reference back to the op.

Cheers!

Ah!, gotcha.

although, when quoting multiple posts from say the beginning and end can be tricky. I usually use notepad to copy and paste (the two or more relevant posts) in to then do the writing there then copy and paste everything to edit window in expat.com.**

Some other sites get round this issue by having a 'multi-quote' button in addition to the 'quote' button.

** - This doubles up as a scheme to have saved copy locally if say the wifi connection was to go on the blink.

Thanks for the replies. OceanBeach, I know that, at the Mega Market in District 6 HCMC, the produce is usually very fresh.

Actually, I did live in VT before, a number of years ago, but didn't know about MegaMarket then, or perhaps it wasn't there then. I recall there are some local buses, I don't know if they travel that route.

As for Lotte Mart, it's a great store but tends to be expensive (at least in HCMC). Also, I am primarily interested in cheese and the cheese at places like Co.op Mart and Lotte Mart is all brand name sealed packages and at least 50% more expensive than cheese at MegaMarket.  That's because MegaMarket repackages huge 1 to 3 kg blocks of cheese into smaller packages.

Is there any other cheese shop in VT that also does that and has low prices? Similar to Lan Chinh in HCM Q.1?

Pity I think MM made an error locating their supermarket too far out of town.

Visited Mega market today.

I only live about 5km away. didn't even know about it until this thread. Been going to co-op mart and lotte all this while.
Today coop mart was closed (due to TET), so decided to head to Mega market.

I was able to buy my usual 500g Flora butter, which co-op mart sell at 114k VND. At mega market it was only 107k VND. Lotte mart only has the 250g and it's about 75k VND.

Also bought some Brie. Saw that they have quite a variety of cheeses at reasonable prices.

Generally, I feel the prices are much lower, but some items only comes in bulk. i.e. you have to buy 10 pack.

Also, although today was not busy at all, I get the feeling it can be at certain times, just by the number of items each customer would purchase.

I went by motorbike. Didn't see any bus stops or buses along the road where it's located. Asked a local if there were any buses from the centre, she said 'no, must take taxi'. Seemed pretty confident. I wanted to ask another local, but was pressed for time, and had to head back.

Sanooku, thanks for this information. I'm glad you discovered the place. Today I went to the MM in HCM Q.6. Scored a huge, fat bag full of very fresh kale (Cai Xoan) for 17,000d. At Big C, WHEN they have kale, it's about 15,000 for a bag less than half as full.

I once went to the MM in Q.2 just to check it out, and was disappointed to find that they only sold the big 2 to 3 kilogram packages of cheese, and did not cut it up into smaller portions the way the MM in Q.6 does.

So I wonder if the one in VT does this or not. Buying a 3 kg loaf of cheese is a bit much for a single person and who knows how long it would stay good in the fridge. So I hope that VT also cuts their cheese into the 200 to 500 gram portions.

Many times I go to MM and there are not many customers, which scares me because I don't want it to close down like the Auchan chain did. That's why I feel the need to evangelize for the place. Lotte Mart in HCM, also, has hardly any customers when I go there, and I worry about it too because it's a unique supermarket. (Although I noticed that the Lotte Marts in Danang and Nha Trang, unlike in HCM, were very popular and always crowded.)

There's so much great stuff at MM that nobody else seems to carry. Big bags of dried garbanzo beans, 1 kg bags of shelled sunflower seeds...and lots of other items at amazingly low prices.

That's truly awful if there's no bus that goes there. I'm a big walker, walk everywhere, but 9 km is a bit much for me.

I wonder what it would cost them to move the whole operation closer to the city? Is that feasible? They must realize they made a mistake.

hyagly256 wrote:

Sanooku, thanks for this information. I'm glad you discovered the place. Today I went to the MM in HCM Q.6. Scored a huge, fat bag full of very fresh kale (Cai Xoan) for 17,000d. At Big C, WHEN they have kale, it's about 15,000 for a bag less than half as full.

I once went to the MM in Q.2 just to check it out, and was disappointed to find that they only sold the big 2 to 3 kilogram packages of cheese, and did not cut it up into smaller portions the way the MM in Q.6 does.

So I wonder if the one in VT does this or not. Buying a 3 kg loaf of cheese is a bit much for a single person and who knows how long it would stay good in the fridge. So I hope that VT also cuts their cheese into the 200 to 500 gram portions.

Many times I go to MM and there are not many customers, which scares me because I don't want it to close down like the Auchan chain did. That's why I feel the need to evangelize for the place. Lotte Mart in HCM, also, has hardly any customers when I go there, and I worry about it too because it's a unique supermarket. (Although I noticed that the Lotte Marts in Danang and Nha Trang, unlike in HCM, were very popular and always crowded.)

There's so much great stuff at MM that nobody else seems to carry. Big bags of dried garbanzo beans, 1 kg bags of shelled sunflower seeds...and lots of other items at amazingly low prices.

That's truly awful if there's no bus that goes there. I'm a big walker, walk everywhere, but 9 km is a bit much for me.

I wonder what it would cost them to move the whole operation closer to the city? Is that feasible? They must realize they made a mistake.

I don't think they made a mistake, from their point of view.

It is centrally located between Ba Ria and Vũng Tàu.

As with other warehouse stores of this type, they do the "bulk" of their transactions with business customers.

Since I've now shopped at this location a number of times, I can personally say that they seem to be doing a pretty good job of not letting the needs of the individual customer be overlooked.

If I may, two suggestions:

Once you make personal friends here, it shouldn't be too difficult to split the taxi fare with a like minded shopper, especially if you personally get to know a GRAB taxi driver who will take you there, wait for you and take you back home for somewhere between 50 to 70 per-cent of the normal meter rate.

Also, perhaps it is a good idea to actually move here before declaring that you know better than a local business?

I get it.

It might end up being inconvenient for you.

However, you say yourself that you have found at least one LotteMart that suits your needs.

Until you visit our local LotteMart, you simply won't know if all this angst is energy well spent.

I truly hope find what YOU need.

And don't worry.

Someone will definitely cut the cheese in MegaMarket...

hyagly256 wrote:

I wonder what it would cost them to move the whole operation closer to the city? Is that feasible?

No.

hyagly256 wrote:

They must realize they made a mistake.

I think Metro was wise to sell it to Mega Martket when they realized Vung Tau was going to 'expand' by becoming more dense much faster than it is by spreading out. I've been there on weekday mornings when there was more staff than customers. It only takes 15 min. to get there from 84 Phan Chu Trinh (i.e. central PCT) on my motorbike (but I'm lazy and don't walk if I have to go more than four blocks).  ;)

Feel I have to weigh in on this thread again (pun intended).

hyagly256 wrote:

Were the smaller portions packaged and on display?, or did you ask a staff member to cut it up?

The brie I bought was a 125g pack on display. Noticed they also had Camembert in small pack. However, the cheeses like cheddar and Mozzarella were in 2kg or 2.3kg packs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idtrmu1vziym92i/mega-market-cheeses-close-up.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhzgxaliw9gbw34/mega-market-cheeses-selection.jpg?raw=1
I didn't see a 'cheese counter' as such where I could take the 2kg block for slicing to a 500g. I don't know how this would work practically (and logistically), because the 2kg pack comes sealed. Do they just then make 3x 500g blocks and reseal them?. Wouldn't this play havoc with the expiry date, because the 2kg pack was opened even momentarily.

In supermarkets abroad (UK) I've seen cheese counter's where a staff member will cut the cheese from a huge block and package it then are there. Not sure if Mega market run similar operation. They did have a bread counter with staff member.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Do you have experience with this?

hyagly256 wrote:

I wonder what it would cost them to move the whole operation closer to the city? Is that feasible?

I guess the prices would become similar to the other two main supermarkets located downtown.

sanooku wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It was a bad attempt at humor... 😬

Seriously though, they have cut fish and meat to order for me before, so I imagine if you figure out the right person to ask, it's likely possible.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
sanooku wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It was a bad attempt at humor... 😬

Whoever s(melt) it dealt it  :lol:

sanooku wrote:

hyagly256 wrote:

Were the smaller portions packaged and on display?, or did you ask a staff member to cut it up?

The brie I bought was a 125g pack on display. Noticed they also had Camembert in small pack. However, the cheeses like cheddar and Mozzarella were in 2kg or 2.3kg packs:

Sanooku,

At the MM in Q.6 HCM, they do cut most of the big cheeses up into much smaller packages. It looks like this:

[img]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/wQX7Egs"><a href="//imgur.com/a/wQX7Egs"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

https://imgur.com/a/wQX7Egs

(Hmm. I can't seem to get this free image hosting thing working with this site.)

This is very convenient, but, as per your info and my visit to other HCMC MMs, I suspect most MM stores don't do this.

Today I was going to buy some more of these small packages of Even Emmental, but saw a huge 3 kg block of Tippegral emmental and the price was so low I couldn't resist it. About 60% of the Even and Grand'Or prices per kg. It was not available in the small packs.

So I'm doing an experiment: how long will this monster cheese last in my fridge without molding?

I googled it and there seem to be ways to prevent it from molding, like putting a paper towel soaked in vinegar in the package. So we'll see if it works. It will certainly take me a month to finish it off.

Sorry for delayed response, too busy lately to come to forum regularly.

hyagly256 wrote:
sanooku wrote:

hyagly256 wrote:

Sanooku,

At the MM in Q.6 HCM, they do cut most of the big cheeses up into much smaller packages. It looks like this:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed- … script>

https://imgur.com/a/wQX7Egs

(Hmm. I can't seem to get this free image hosting thing working with this site.)

This is very convenient, but, as per your info and my visit to other HCMC MMs, I suspect most MM stores don't do this.

Today I was going to buy some more of these small packages of Even Emmental, but saw a huge 3 kg block of Tippegral emmental and the price was so low I couldn't resist it. About 60% of the Even and Grand'Or prices per kg. It was not available in the small packs.

So I'm doing an experiment: how long will this monster cheese last in my fridge without molding?

I googled it and there seem to be ways to prevent it from molding, like putting a paper towel soaked in vinegar in the package. So we'll see if it works. It will certainly take me a month to finish it off.

For posting pics you just need internet address of each image (the one ending with .jpg)

Let me try:

https://i.imgur.com/CrJgoK3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kFKUgch.jpg

Sorted.

Yes, Internet is full of trips and tricks videos and info on how to preserve food for long. Recently, I learnt spinach, celery, and herbs can be preserved for extended periods using various tricks. Pretty nice huh?

Anyway, keep us posted on how it goes.

It seems I may also come to this forum less regularly from now, as I've experienced some discrimination, harassment and bullying from forum moderators, a VIP member, and select few forum users. I will monitor their conduct and behaviour and make a judgement.

hyagly256 wrote:

You should be able to cut off a large chunk and put it in your freezer without (much) loss of flavor.

Also, it seems that you should be able to cut off any moldy areas and eat the rest.  Anyway, that's been my limited experience with cheese here.

johnross23 wrote:

Also, it seems that you should be able to cut off any moldy areas and eat the rest.  Anyway, that's been my limited experience with cheese here.

Correct.  Many wheels of cheese are completely mold covered when being aged while others are wax dipped to prevent that.  Cut it away and eat.  Bigger problem than mold is the exposed surface getting hard.

SteinNebraska wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Correct.  Many wheels of cheese are completely mold covered when being aged while others are wax dipped to prevent that.  Cut it away and eat.  Bigger problem than mold is the exposed surface getting hard.

I read a little article online the other day about using the dried up part of cheese as a seasoning in stews chili and other similar dishes.

Also, a camper friend introduced me to the vinegar preservatives effect, but not with a paper towel; by using a tupperware container and putting the hard cheese inside with enough vinegar to reach the top of the piece of cheese.

I only tried it once and it was a camping trip for less than 10 days, so I don't know how it works for longer periods of time, but it did keep the cheese fresh without refrigeration.