Mushrooms in VN sun-dried or not?

You know those huge bags of dried shiitake mushrooms that you see in markets? Not the ones in supermarkets, but in big markets like An Dong, Binh Tay, etc., where you buy by the kilo and they scoop it out of a huge 20 kilo bag?

Does anyone know if those mushrooms are sun-dried or oven-dried?

I recently found out that sun-dried shiitakes have a huge amount of Vitamin D. It seems something in their anatomy absorbs the sun's rays and makes D out of them, same as our skin does, especially if they are dried with the gills up.

But if they are oven-dried, they don't have this advantage.

So, does anyone know?

If they're produced in Vietnam, they're sun-dried.  Sun drying is cheaper.

Ciambella wrote:

If they're produced in Vietnam, they're sun-dried.  Sun drying is cheaper.

So, the next question would be....what is the place of origin?

colinoscapee wrote:

So, the next question would be....what is the place of origin?

Mostly China, then Thailand and Vietnam equally.  There are mushrooms from Japan and Korea but they're not sold at wholesale markets and they're very expensive.

1/ I wouldn't buy dried mushrooms from those 20kg bags. The price is low but there's no stamp indicating the place of origin. 

2/ I wouldn't hope to find sun-dried mushrooms from wholesale markets.  Anything sold in bulk would not be produced by natural methods because drying mushrooms under the sun or over wood/charcoal produces only small quantities.

3/ Heat pump dryers are not expensive.  At 50M, a HPD can yield 20 kg at a time of dried mushrooms, veggies, fruits, herbs for traditional medicine, seafood, etc. in a fraction of the time and energy of a drying oven.  Thus, if you don't want to pay for imported sun-dried mushroom, it'd be best to buy HPD mushrooms from legit shops instead of the stuff at Bình Tây and An Đông Markets.

Thanks, Ciambella and Colinoscapee. So, like with organics, the only way to be sure is to grow and dry them yourself. Wish I lived someplace where I could do that.

I think fresh Shiitakes taste vastly better than dried, but am intrigued by the Vitamin D angle.

Anyone in Vietnam who does not wear long sleeves, long pants, a cloth mask and a nón lá hat every time they leave the house is probably getting all the vitamin D that they need.   :top: