High Import tariffs

Hi buddy dunno and don't care about taxes on imported stuff this instance. All i know is, go web shopping here online and you uncover tax after tax.Taxes on imported goods are set by th viet gov we all know that.
Have compared costs of imported goods in other better developed countries. They taxes elsewhere all seemed to make more sense and are lower.
VN is 4th home country to me. So definitely there are pros and cons to make me wana live here, in that I'm saying general costs of living is cheap but you have to be on ur watch 360 degrees for the expected crap and stuffs. Amd Scams!!!!
Take care dear expats and good viet partners

Poke325 wrote:

Back to the what convention you was feeling miserable on, they are confusing all the people with so many zeros. So its simple just count the zeros right.

Actually, the simplest way is to drop the last 3 zeros (the same way the Italians did with the lira).  Not many people in Vietnam say 400,000 as four hundred thousands.  Instead, they say 400 (four hundred).  The word "thousands" is implied.  No one has ever made mistake saying that way.

In writing, rarely do people write the entire amount.  The letter k, small or upper case, is to replace the last 3 zeros:  400k, 700K, etc.  No one has ever needed to count the zeros that way.

When it comes to millions, most expats write 1.5M but the locals would write 1,500k.  Again, no need to count the zeros that way.

That's the convention.  When in Rome ...

Poke325 wrote:

So what's ur problem?

No Poke, it's you. You seem cranky today.  :(

This is a friendly and helpful forum. Not Reddit, Facebook, Youtube.
In a thread where a member asked for help with DHL shipping fees, all you seem to want to do is:

- Complain about "overtaxing" in Vietnam
- Complain about too many 0's in money
- Complain about cruisemonkey who corrected your mistake
- Teach us that other countries have lower taxes
- Teach us that Vietnam is full of crap and scams

Please be nice. Happy members make a happy forum!  :)

ps. I like the zeros. i feel good being a multi-billionaire.   :cool:

@Gobot:   :one

My $499.99 USD motorcycle helmet was delivered this morning (kudos to UPS... friggin' amazing - 2.5 days from North Las Vegas to Vung Tau... while everyone else was standing still because of COVID-19 :top:).

Vietnam Customs valued the helmet at 11,924,396 VND. I was charged 20% import duty = 2,384,874 VND, plus 10% Value Added Tax (VAT) on the price of the helmet and the import duty i.e. 14,309,243 = 1,430,294, plus a 20,000 VND Customs fee.

Grand total = 3,835,798 VND.

I don't mind paying the duty or the tax. What I want to bi#ch about is paying 'tax' on 'tax'. However, I know no government will ever change (I'm from Canada where we have to pay GST (Goods and Services Tax) on Provincial Sales Tax.  :mad:

On the bright side of things - I may only become paraplegic instead of quadriplegic when some Vietnamese moron wearing: a pair of flip-flops, nylon shorts and his baseball cap on backwards; driving a GS600 without a license, runs the red light and I 'smack' him at 140 kmph.

Import taxes always the same depending on goods

UK

Duty
Excise
Vat
Most of the time just VAT but alcohol and tobacco always attract the others

Always this bullshit with DHL -it's actually a scam as they never actually declare your import.  You should have used normal ‘low key' international mail, and asked the sender to put a nominal value.

Should have got rid of all the bullshit wrapping and hand it sent as an item already owned.

secedit wrote:

Should have got rid of all the bullshit wrapping and hand it sent as an item already owned.

Clearly have no idea what you are talking about..
Yes postal service is cheaper, and for low value items it makes more sense.

Likes if any courier DHL / UPS / TNT etc all work the same way, if you think it's a scam ask for a copy of the customer entry. This is generated by customs in the country of destination and will show the value and taxes applicable as determined by that country's government.

If you have genuine evidence to the contrary then provide it, if not don't go posting BS

3 times I have imported into Vietnam:-
Contact lenses
Printer cartridges
Motorcycle Helmet
Each time, NO paperwork / receipt.  Just a nonsense email (after I requested further information).

Using normal mail from UK. Spain, China - I pay nothing.  Courier services say “rich foreigner'!

secedit wrote:

3 times I have imported into Vietnam:-
Contact lenses
Printer cartridges
Motorcycle Helmet
Each time, NO paperwork / receipt.  Just a nonsense email (after I requested further information).

Using normal mail from UK. Spain, China - I pay nothing.  Courier services say “rich foreigner'!

If you took the items to the post office they will ask you what the contents are and value... As long as they are low value and not restricted they travel on what is known as a CN22 declaration

Courier companies are not permitted to declare goods this way and have to make a full formal declaration.

If you had done your research before shipping you would be aware of the above

When I lived in Da Nang, all my meds shipped from the US got hung up at customs in HCMC. I always emailed that I was old and infirm and needed my meds. Everytime, the package arrived the next. Tell them you're old, and painting is your only joy. Never underestimate the people's respect for the elderly in Vietnam.

Jimmy

At least you could send it. My blood thinners could not be sent from the Fed Ex in the US because shipping meds is not allowed from the US.
And unfortunately for me they're needed to sustain life, but not always found at pharmacies.
There has to be a way to get them here without a hassle.

Who said you cannot ship them from the US ? Is it a domestic brand that is restricted ?

The FDA allows personal importation to the US for personal medication providing it is not for resale. The reverse should also be true..

I suspect maybe the courier in question didn't understand the request fully..

I've never heard of a ban on shipping meds from the US. Mine always made it eventually via both FedEx and DHL. It was in 2016-2018.

Key is to check with local office first with a full list of contents.. let them inspect it, include copies of the prescription and prices paid inside and out. Make sure box is labelled with sender and receiver including contact numbers.

Make sure it is declwred for personal use ...

Pharmacies in the USA won't ship medicines in the mail anymore, even between states, has to do with the opiod problem in the USA

Would need a family member to collect meds and ship - i assumed this is wgat the OP was doing