Vietnam custom hold my parcel !!

Hi All,

I can't find any better solutions to settle this matter. Hope can get some advise from here to deal with Vietnam custom. My wife ( Vietnamese ) wish to sell a beauty products which origin from my country Malaysia. However, I use EMS courier services to ship the beauty products to my wife. The parcel weight approximately around 16KG. At first, before I ship out the parcel , I do get advise from courier services and they told me shouldn't have any problem with Vietnam custom. Then only I ship out the parcel.  But now problem is parcel arrived in Vietnam but get hold by custom. My wife told me that Vietnam custom request for product certificate and also need pay 20% of taxs based on goods value. Both of us have no idea how to deal with them . Any solutions ? Please help !!!

Nothing you can do that pay.. or ask wife go to custom and try give coffee money.

Wald0 wrote:

Nothing you can do that pay.. or ask wife go to custom and try give coffee money.

So you mean I have to ask my wife to give COFFEE MONEY to them to release my parcel . Let say if this time PAID to them . Then how about next time ? Because my wife probably will buy the beauty products again .

MarcusKS wrote:

My wife ( Vietnamese ) wish to sell a beauty products which origin from my country Malaysia. The parcel weight approximately around 16KG. ...Because my wife probably will buy the beauty products again .

This may not make you feel better, but that's the risk of sending valuable or popular merchandises to VN (beauty products are both valuable and popular), especially when the quantity is large enough to be considered commercial merchandises. 

Corruption in Vietnam custom aside, tax on commercial items is collected by custom in every country, same as the requirement for product certificate.  Even in the States when I ordered skin care from France, the items always came with the company's product certificate stating that the ingredients complied with US standard.  I never had to pay custom because the quantity was always small.

If your wife buy a good amount of the products on a regular basis and you don't want to pay tax on the merchandises, I suggest that she, or you, or someone you trust, brings the products to VN in the luggage.  That's what I've done and will continue to do when I need something from other countries (I've never bought a large quantity of anything, however.)  Tickets can be very cheap when one buys them on sale.

MarcusKS wrote:

Hi All,

I can't find any better solutions to settle this matter. Hope can get some advise from here to deal with Vietnam custom. My wife ( Vietnamese ) wish to sell a beauty products which origin from my country Malaysia. However, I use EMS courier services to ship the beauty products to my wife. The parcel weight approximately around 16KG. At first, before I ship out the parcel , I do get advise from courier services and they told me shouldn't have any problem with Vietnam custom. Then only I ship out the parcel.  But now problem is parcel arrived in Vietnam but get hold by custom. My wife told me that Vietnam custom request for product certificate and also need pay 20% of taxs based on goods value. Both of us have no idea how to deal with them . Any solutions ? Please help !!!

Yes, every item has a product code and your piece belong to that category, of course, you need to show product certificate, you have an official authorised to export and import that bit. Example: you cannot directly introduce Nike brand to Vietnam because there is an official agent who as allowed to import & Export.  The best thing you can do Just pay 20% and pay coffee money to the person who is in charge and get your parcel or just forget it.

www,sblaw.VN/importing-cosmetics-to-Vietnam/

This may shed some light to your question

Good Luck

Its obvious that you are going to resell the cosmetics, therefore a tax needs to be paid for importing the product.

Haven't you heard that the big boys are out of $$ and are looking to tax everything that comes in and out in this #s..thole country. Apologies in advance to those who's offended by the s..thole terminology.

QuidProQuo wrote:

Haven't you heard that the big boys are out of $$ and are looking to tax everything that comes in and out in this #s..thole country. Apologies in advance to those who's offended by the s..thole terminology.

Maybe Haiti, Venezuela or Somalia would suit you better.

colinoscapee wrote:
QuidProQuo wrote:

Maybe Haiti, Venezuela or Somalia would suit you better.

Naw, this place suits me just fine. I prefer hanging out here with you people. You guys keep me entertained.

It's what we are (really) here for.      :/

Thank you for your Appreciation.     :cheers:

.   Pale Blue Dot

Ciambella wrote:
MarcusKS wrote:

My wife ( Vietnamese ) wish to sell a beauty products which origin from my country Malaysia. The parcel weight approximately around 16KG. ...Because my wife probably will buy the beauty products again .

This may not make you feel better, but that's the risk of sending valuable or popular merchandises to VN (beauty products are both valuable and popular), especially when the quantity is large enough to be considered commercial merchandises. 

Corruption in Vietnam custom aside, tax on commercial items is collected by custom in every country, same as the requirement for product certificate.  Even in the States when I ordered skin care from France, the items always came with the company's product certificate stating that the ingredients complied with US standard.  I never had to pay custom because the quantity was always small.

If your wife buy a good amount of the products on a regular basis and you don't want to pay tax on the merchandises, I suggest that she, or you, or someone you trust, brings the products to VN in the luggage.  That's what I've done and will continue to do when I need something from other countries (I've never bought a large quantity of anything, however.)  Tickets can be very cheap when one buys them on sale.

Hi ,

As you said better way is my wife to come over my country to carry the beauty products in the luggage back to Vietnam.   If weight approximately around 20kg . May I know will it have any problem ?

MarcusKS wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
MarcusKS wrote:

Hi ,

As you said better way is my wife to come over my country to carry the beauty products in the luggage back to Vietnam.   If weight approximately around 20kg . May I know will it have any problem ?

You do know they scan your bags as you exit the airport, right? You could still get taxed right there.

MarcusKS wrote:

Hi All,

Answer one question.

Are the cosmetics to be resold in Viet Nam?

MarcusKS wrote:

Yes, you would definitely encounter problem.

I suggested carrying it in luggage before I knew the quantity you plan to bring each time -- 20 kg is definitely commercial level, you ought to pay tax as it is the law, not just in this country but everywhere in the world.

colinoscapee wrote:

Answer one question.

Are the cosmetics to be resold in Viet Nam?

Even if the OP's answer is no, not one Customs in the world would believe that a person needs 16-20 kg of the same product/s for personal use.

My experience:  I brought over close to 15 kg of personal products (a combination of essential oil, skin care, and hair care) in checked baggage and didn't encounter any question, only because everyone can tell that they're truly for me and not for resale.  I packed them loose (without their original boxes) and resealed them with thread seal tape, which made it unsaleable.  They're also a hodge podge of many products so they're evidently not for sale.  The lack of wrapping/boxing is the proof.

Hi, this kind of thing is very common in Vietnam. When I moved here I shipped 6 boxes from the UK (all items that were used like kids books, toys, ornaments and personal effects). The customs and DHL said I had to pay 4m VND despite paying the shipping company $600!! My first question is if the courier says there should be no problem let them deal with it! Why else have u paid them!! Secondly if you have had no joy then find out exactly how much they want! Be polite in discussions and say that you don't have that kid of money and play the waiting game! Eventually I got DHL down from 4m to 2.9m VND which still annoyed me but did feel like a small victory! Good Luck!

The solution is simple - you pay.

Hi
I shipped cosmetics to Vietnam a few months ago from US for personal use,
1. you have to state it is for personal use only, and do not need certification
2. then you only pay about 5-10% in import duties.
3. you can only ship 10 items at a time if you do it this way...I actually shipped 19 items, but got extremely lucky and they packed all the items in one box...so I got all my items...when i picked them up.
4. Basically you have to ship the items above 10 back to its originator.
Good Luck..
C

Hi Again,
Sorry, yes it is important who the shipper is...if it goes through VN Postal you get many more headaches...go through a private shipper like FedEx or DHL as other person posted.
C

It is normal - this is VietNam. Govt has run out of money. Tet is coming. Everybody needs cash. Pay the coffee money and you will get your package - it's the way it works.

You can of course, be a little shifty...

..and shop around to find a cheaper coffee..?   :happy:

I disagree completely; if you use DHL / FEDEX, your parcel will attract attention - something for the rich foreigner. As yousuch, MANY people want ‘fees' in addition to customs clearance, handling, and import duty which DHL / FEDEX will ask you to pay.

Keep to normal postal services - they are a bit slow. If you are in Hanoi, all post goes to the Post Office at Hoan Kiem Lake for inspection, and is then sent to a local office for delivery.

Some of these posts are pure supposition and not real experience!

I travel 4 times a year from Europe in Business Class - luggage allowance 3 x 32kg = 96kg.  I have never been stopped once at the x-ray machine. 95% of my luggage are multiple goods for resale - cosmetics, vitamins, and the like. I have even brought in a microwave oven, numerous pots and pans, numerous boxes of baby formula

Just because you have been lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen. A friend brought in a new Ipad still in the box, customs charged him 500 k tax on it.So it does happen, you have been lucky.

pilotadamp wrote:

Some of these posts are pure supposition and not real experience! ... 95% of my luggage are multiple goods for resale ...

My *real* experience:  I've seen MANY (as in hundreds) of check luggage resealed with Customs tape (meaning they're opened and inspected), some of them in different coloured tapes (meaning at different checkpoints.)

Read online newspapers and see how often incidents involving (may or may not be unscrupulous) luggage inspection and (may or may not be unfair) tax collection happened.  Some of them were reported in full details -- flights number, names of complainants, times and dates of incidents, etc.   

Here's one example:   Inquiries for Custom inspection at TSN.  Google Translate is not that good, but you'll be able to understand the gist of it.  Pay attention to the yellow box in the article.

Be thankful you've been lucky and got away scot-free with taxable goods.  I wouldn't brag about it if I were you.

pilotadamp wrote:

Some of these posts are pure supposition and not real experience!

I travel 4 times a year from Europe in Business Class - luggage allowance 3 x 32kg = 96kg.  I have never been stopped once at the x-ray machine. 95% of my luggage are multiple goods for resale - cosmetics, vitamins, and the like. I have even brought in a microwave oven, numerous pots and pans, numerous boxes of baby formula

Dare you to post your passport number and name and I'll make sure you pay your fair share of import tax next time.

He's a fool - nothing is payable and he needs to read up on the regulations