Import Tax Exemptions for Temporary Residence Card holders ??

Does anyone know what import tax exemptions are available to those who have a Temporary Residence Card ?  I heard something to the effect that it allows an individual to import items for personal use into the country without tax.  Is this true and if so, is there a website with more detailed information about this ?

Just for your information the custom charge me 600.000VN just for my company brochures... i don't thing there are any website here it does depend from the custom official breakfast...if was good is free if was bad they charge you!!!

[Moderated: Off topic]

I can assure you I'm NOT a viet kieu.  And yes, I have been here that long.  Like I said, over the years I've heard a lot of talk from other expats about there being import tax exemptions such as for importing a car for personal use, household items, etc...  I just was looking for a little more detail about what items are covered under the provision.  If you could fill me on or point me in the right direction, that would be really great.  Thanks.

What was the declared value of those brochures ?

John,

The organization or institution that you are with, or the guy that went and did the paperworks for you to remain here that long, should know exactly what you can bring into Vietnam.  Check with them or him (if you can find him).  If they claim to know nothing, then they must have filled out "the blanks" for their benefits, or somewhere along the line, someone must have ommitted a key part in bringing a foreigner into Vietnam...

Your entire household could have been shipped here tax-exempt...

So much for my question being what you labeled as "elementary". Sounds like you don't where to look for this information either. Or maybe you know and you just don't want to share.

[Moderated: Off topic]

Who said anything about withering away ? I didn't come here 5 years ago to go to work.  My wife brought me here.

AmericanEnglishVN

Always search before you ask.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=226938
I requote my earlier response here

"I am not the expert on this area, besides it is a jungle.

In principle, the import of personal goods (tài sản di chuyển) are exempt from import tax, if the person has residency permit and can show the receipts. However, there is limit how much you can bring with you.

Here is the law in Vietnamese.
http://www.mof.gov.vn/portal/page/porta … p_id=10297

There are different rules for Vietnamese returning home and for foreigners.

Car is a different animal. Howie has mentioned about it on a previous thread."

Thanks so much for the info Anatta.  That's exactly what I was looking for !

Sorry for the late reply.... the import declared value of the brochure was 0... non commercial..!!!

Nothing is free in VN, even though the law granted something. All department hold by 'Kings'. Expect for a breath tax sooner!

mguidi.htmir wrote:

Just for your information the custom charge me 600.000VN just for my company brochures...

A side comment concerning brochures:

For those who do business and want to import brochures from abroad or hand out brochures in Vietnam, if you happen to have map of Vietnam or South East Asia, there is a ridiculous sensitivity about the showing the disputed Spratly and Parcel islands on maps, any maps.
IT does not matter how tiny your map is. It has to show those islands visibly, even though it means you have to enlarge the islands' size by, say, 100 times!!!. You can omit Con Son, Phu Quoc, Hainan. No problems, just not the Spratlys and Parcels.

Here is an example of a violation, as reported in the news. Link in Vietnamese.

http://baohay.vn/chuyen-de/doi-song/214 … ng-Sa.html