Laptops held by Customs

Ok, so I have a weird situation. My wife and I went to visit family in the US and when we returned we had accidentally left one carry-on bag at home. I know it was stupid of us, but we left for the airport in a hurry. In that carry-on bag was our laptops.

My family shipped the laptops out to us, but they are being denied entry into the country because they aren't 'brand new'.
These are our personal laptops (not for resale), BOTH of which were purchased in Vietnam.

Am i correct in thinking that these laptops shouldn't be denied entry since they were purchased here? The laptops are being held here until 14 Feb. Does anyone know the address and/or phone number of a customs office in HCMC? Has anyone dealt with this before? What id the best way to get customs not to deny these laptops?

According to customs' law, you are entitled to carry 1 used laptop. In this case, it will consider as "imported" and should pay the duty. However, they have the discretionary power to allow or reject it.
Here is the Vietnam Customs Department:
http://www.customs.gov.vn/default.aspx

http://www.customs.gov.vn/Lists/English … 7ca31ae3ff
If you "see them on the right way", may be you can get it but will cost(duty + 'their duty') more than new sometime. :)
If you just want to enquire:
http://www.customs.gov.vn/Lists/English … uage=en-US

Have been thru this and it was upsetting at the time. When you go to the customs they will want to hang onto your passport at the gate. The people in the customs hall wont release the goods until they also have seen your passport. It is a runaround and will cost money and like for me, could mean multiple ATM withdrawals

sorry to hear that ..  suggest you cotact either a customs broker or freight forwarder asked  them to quote before you decide, save you time , money and hassled , leave it to the locals to deal with the govt dept

Used laptop is listed into products banned for importation pursuant to Circular No. 31/ 2015/ Ministry of Information & Communication. Since you didn't carry this laptop into VN as personal luggage but sent back to VN via courier, this activity will be treated as Importation. There's no point calling customs official as they will recommend you check latest laws & regulations available on customs' website.

Do you still keep the Boarding pass when you entered VN, you can call Courier agent & ask if they can help to explain to customs that this laptop is for personal but not commercial purpose, u forgot to bring it when travelling last time so that customs may accept to release the laptop for u. (I tried this way before for other commodity & it worked)

In the worst case if customs is not "IN MOOD" to release, you will have to reject the shipment & return laptop to shipper rather than keep it in courier's warehouse & abandon it.

Good luck.

Good luck on this one.   As for the passport run-around, I suggest you take a notarized copy of your passport to the entry gate and tell them that's all you have on your person but you need to speak with customs.  Maybe they will accept and not shake you down for some scratch.  Of course you will need your true passport at the actual customs desk.  Whether is be bribe, pay the duty, refusing the shipment to retrieve on your next trip AND buying a new set of laptops it looks like your going to be out some mullah.  The VN gov workers live for this type of situation...they know they are got a good chance at a foreign bonus.

This was before Tet Holiday, Customs Officials will let it in after you pay a fee. Since it is after Tet, it might be easier. See Customs early in the morning. They may ask to look at what you have on the computer.

They will want a bullshit bribe (money) from you.  Didn't anybody warn you about the 'games' here ?????