High Import tariffs

I recently ordered some paint brushes from a shop in Singapore, for personal use, not for resale, they sent it through DHL

DHL wants me to pay government taxes which is shockingly more than half the value of what I paid for it
DHL cleared it at 25% import tariff, which seems a bit high

Does anyone what the import tariff is for artist brushes or where to find it?
I tried to lookup on https://www.customs.gov.vn/SitePages/Ta … uage=en-US
But the site doesn't work. I found the HS Code is 96033000

This is the whole message from DHL
Value of this shipment is 114 SGD = 1,893,578 VND, but as regulation in Vietnam, Article 5- Section II- Chapter 2- Circular 39/2015 / TT-BTC dated 25/3/2015 of the Ministry of Finance this shipment need plus Freight Charge = 34.03SGD
-> Total value around 2,679,000 VND

Tariff = 25% for import and 10% for VAT, so we have Import tax around 669,833 VND and VAT fee = 334,916 VND
Total = 1,004749..!
This is still exlcuding  handling fee, merchandise process and VAT which adds up another 200K

Import tariff is set by Vietnamese customs and not DHL, they use the HS code supplied by the shipper as it is a requirement in their export declaration

That HS code shows as makeup or cosmetic brushes... I suspect possibly classified as luxury goods and commanding a higher import tax.

Country of manufacture is also a consideration when declaring to customs

Bruce007 wrote:

I recently ordered some paint brushes from a shop in Singapore, for personal use, not for resale...

I don't believe that Customs differentiates between personal use and resale items for new merchandise.

If you can honestly say that something is your own personal household goods and if you don't insure it, then you might get lower rates.

Customs is known on some items to base their Duty charges on the insured value

I just ordered a $500 (on sale) motorcycle helmet from the U.S. I expect to have to agree to pay Vietnam Customs about 5,000,000 VND to get it 'released' when it enters 'Lotus Land'.  :(

I'm having trouble getting a package released. The package is being handled by DHL but they are telling me that customs won't release it and are asking for forms that I cannot provide, like an original arrival card with immigration stamp from the past 30 days! If I could have gone anywhere outside the country in the last 30 days I wouldn't have needed this package sent.

Any advice on the steps I can take? This is my first time receiving a package so I am not familiar with this process. I keep asking for details of the customs officer but they are not providing details. I also had a Vietnamese friend call DHL and offer some money to assist but still no joy... would appreciate any tips.

Pixie20 wrote:

I'm having trouble getting a package released. The package is being handled by DHL but they are telling me that customs won't release it and are asking for forms that I cannot provide, like an original arrival card with immigration stamp from the past 30 days! If I could have gone anywhere outside the country in the last 30 days I wouldn't have needed this package sent.

Any advice on the steps I can take? This is my first time receiving a package so I am not familiar with this process. I keep asking for details of the customs officer but they are not providing details. I also had a Vietnamese friend call DHL and offer some money to assist but still no joy... would appreciate any tips.

Send them a scan or clear photo of the bio page of your passport and a scan or photo of the last entry stamp in your passport.  As long as it's not expired it should be fine.  I've done the same thing for goods received and they just wanted a current stamp.  I've never been asked for the last 30 days.  Even in non-COVID times a stamp in the last 30 days wouldn't be likely for approximately 70-80% of the legal visitors with some on a 3 month stamp, others on a 6 month stamp and some on 2-3 year TRCs.

For what it's worth I found this website that has a downloadable Excel with the tax rates in it

https://songanhlogs.com/bieu-thue-xuat- … l-pdf.html

In my case it's indeed 25%

cruisemonkey wrote:

I just ordered a $500 (on sale) motorcycle helmet from the U.S. I expect to have to agree to pay Vietnam Customs about 5,000,000 VND to get it 'released' when it enters 'Lotus Land'.  :(

Who is arranging the shipping for you ?
If it is the company in the US ask them to ship it with a pro-forma invoice and show a value under 100USD
That way it should attract lower taxes

20% import tax and 10% VAT for motorcycle helmets

65061010    - - Mũ bảo hiểm cho người đi xe máy    - - Helmets for motorcyclists

Pixie20 wrote:

What are the items and value?
Have they actually landed in VN yet or still in transit ?

Bruce007 wrote:

20% import tax and 10% VAT for motorcycle helmets

65061010    - - Mũ bảo hiểm cho người đi xe máy    - - Helmets for motorcyclists

DHL have a tool online TAS that shows landed costs and verifies taxes and duty rate applicable to the HS code

Thanks I didn't know that, I will check it out

Anyone importing from overseas can avoid some of the issues if they remeber under 100 USD for personal end user should arrive with zero taxes to to pay.

BUT anything over will incur duties that take the declared value of the good plus any freight charges to calculate the import tax

On top of this you will get various agency or clearance fees.

Now declaring items at a lower value also means you will only receive that figure if the goods go missing

I checked this with DHL the recipient has to be local apparantly

Another option they gave:

"We also have this regulation, for Vietnamese person, gift shipment ( value bellow 2.000.000 VND)  for a person to a person, but we only use it for VN person, so you cannot use it

If you can request someone in Vietnam, your friend help it. I can suppport in the future. But pls noted: invoice must have GIFT word and value on this invoice is correct"

Bruce007 wrote:

I checked this with DHL the recipient has to be local apparantly

Another option they gave:

"We also have this regulation, for Vietnamese person, gift shipment ( value bellow 2.000.000 VND)  for a person to a person, but we only use it for VN person, so you cannot use it

If you can request someone in Vietnam, your friend help it. I can suppport in the future. But pls noted: invoice must have GIFT word and value on this invoice is correct"

Yes that is correct as GIFT is acceptable, as is the option to have declared at a low value and mentioned "sample" but the second option usually stipulates that the item must be not fit for resale

Anyway back to the gift option... If you have VN landlord have it sent to them as a gift, I'm sure as a reliable Tennant they would be happy to help

2 million VND is allowing for varying exchange rates etc around 100 USD

Thanks for your replies.

The goods are in Vietnam being held by customs. It is medication for personal use valued under $100 dollars. There is a prescription in with the package but they are still asking for the customs declaration form and now an import permit from the Ho Chi Minh Health Department! I have checked the list of banned medication and this medication is not prohibited but it is also not available here in Vietnam which is why I had it sent over. The list of what they want to release it continues to grow and my patience continues to wane. They have said if I don't provide these documents they will not release it an return it to sender.

Ah, yes, medication.  They are really strict on that.  I sent Ibuprofen and over the counter nasal spray along with some material for work.  They asked me for a prescription but I told them I couldn't provide one since they are OTC available at any pharmacy without a prescription.  I did have to go down there and sign a release that it was for personal use but they did finally release it.  I also had tobacco in there, 340 grams.  Website says 500 grams at least to carry in without duty.  Customs said it was only 250.  But again, she did release it.  She did admonish me to not do it again.  They had records of me bringing in the same tobacco but less than 250g the month before.  They were asking for an import license for tobacco as well as the prescription for the other goods.  Of course I don't have it but the personal use statement got it released.  I had put 500,000 coffee money in my passport when I met with the customs official but she surprisingly didn't take it.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I have no idea where to even go to see the customs officer. Could you provide me with some information on that? Sounds like heading down in person might be my best option. Especially, as I really need this medication released ASAP otherwise I need to work on an alternative.

Pixie20 wrote:

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I have no idea where to even go to see the customs officer. Could you provide me with some information on that? Sounds like heading down in person might be my best option. Especially, as I really need this medication released ASAP otherwise I need to work on an alternative.

Usually before shipping I would have let DHL inspect the goods. They are based our near the airport, and suspect that is where they will hold your items.

Do you have a copy of the prescription?

I have a contact who works for DHL and will ask him what the best course of action is.. as soon as he reply I will send you a DM

Thank you. DHL in Australia did inspect the goods and said it would be no problem. There is a copy of the prescription inside the package as instructed to do by DHL Australia. I have instructed DHL Vietnam to open the package to check the prescription. Stupidly, I did not ask the sender to make a copy of it and am trying to avoid hassling my doctor again who has already been very helpful.

I have another friend making some phone calls as well. But in case they have no luck, really appreciate you reaching out to your friend. I fear I am not popular in the DHL Vietnam office at the moment, due to the email wars over the past few days. No profanity has been used, but I have not been as polite as I would usually like to be out of frustration.  :(

I used to send items here all the time from the UK, always good to have full packing list stating quantity and values, mention personal use etc..

I wonder if they maybe think you are importing to sell. If they check contents and prescription it should hopefully resolve the issue

Hello again. A day or two ago, you were kind enough to give some advice about an SSL for my laptop, so I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on freight forwarders......

Two or three years ago, I shipped a bunch of stuff (furniture, pictures, books, etc) from the USA but decided  not to bring over an antique English long-case clock until more settled here. I'm now ready to be reunited, armed with a Temporary Resident Card and such like. In the last week or two I've emailed some shipping companies but the ones in Saigon seem disinclined to tackle the customs formalities of a one-off item, and the Atlanta movers seem put off by the fact a single item is less profitable than the contents of a whole house.   

Chris

CHRISLANGTON wrote:

the ones in Saigon seem disinclined to tackle the customs formalities of a one-off item, and the Atlanta movers seem put off by the fact a single item is less profitable than the contents of a whole house.   

Chris

Plus, nobody wants to take the risk of shipping damage on such a fragile item that I assume isn't packed in its original shipping packaging.  I think you are going to have a very tough time finding someone to pack and crate it then ship it and guarantee it arrives in one piece.  And if you do, with packing, freight and import duty I would not be surprised to see close to a $3,000 total quote.

CHRISLANGTON wrote:

Hello again. A day or two ago, you were kind enough to give some advice about an SSL for my laptop, so I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on freight forwarders......

Two or three years ago, I shipped a bunch of stuff (furniture, pictures, books, etc) from the USA but decided  not to bring over an antique English long-case clock until more settled here. I'm now ready to be reunited, armed with a Temporary Resident Card and such like. In the last week or two I've emailed some shipping companies but the ones in Saigon seem disinclined to tackle the customs formalities of a one-off item, and the Atlanta movers seem put off by the fact a single item is less profitable than the contents of a whole house.   

Chris

You can find shippers in Vietnamese communities. I don't know about Georgia, certainly the case in California. Start by googling : movers Vietnam.

Then again, considering considerable expense and hassles, maybe it is time to let the clock go. In my situation, after I moved to Vietnam, my surviving family members died and I was left with a house full of my parents', my brother's, and my, stuff. Pack rats all. Culling is an emotional ordeal, I didn't bring furniture but looking around the room here, I wasn't disciplined enough. (Anyone need a Persian carpet?!) The fun/magic of starting life in a new country is bogged down in many ways by bringing too much of the old country stuff.

Advise that probably doesn't apply to you, just my story!

Just wanted to give you a quick update that even providing a copy of the prescription and visiting both DHL and customs resulted in no luck with my medication being released. Would advise against anyone shipping medication (or anything for that matter) with DHL. DHL Australia were ok, but DHL Vietnam could not have been more unhelpful. DHL blamed customs and customs blamed DHL and both suggested getting an import permit for the medication from the Department of Health. The Department of Health won't issue an import permit without a customs arrival card declaration. Since I haven't been out of the country recently, I don't have one of those! Not to worry, have found an alternative solution but definitely won't be using DHL again and will think very hard about having anything sent to Vietnam again after all the hassle.

That's pretty poor... What value is the medication ?

There is a regional office in Asia for DHL, Google straight to the top DHL and it should give you the contact address

Pixie20 wrote:

And...

Pixie20 wrote:

Just wanted to give you a quick update that even providing a copy of the prescription and visiting both DHL and customs resulted in no luck with my medication being released. Would advise against anyone shipping medication (or anything for that matter) with DHL. DHL Australia were ok, but DHL Vietnam could not have been more unhelpful. DHL blamed customs and customs blamed DHL and both suggested getting an import permit for the medication from the Department of Health. The Department of Health won't issue an import permit without a customs arrival card declaration. Since I haven't been out of the country recently, I don't have one of those! Not to worry, have found an alternative solution but definitely won't be using DHL again and will think very hard about having anything sent to Vietnam again after all the hassle.

Ahh...

Not just a "package", a medication that requires a prescription back home?

Was the "package" sent from a pharmacy?

Was there a prescription label on the contents of the "package"?

It sounds as if the regulations of another ministry may well be involved...

Apologies, I just didn't want to share my life story on the internet unless necessary!

I'm not sure what you mean by a prescription label. If you mean on the medication, yes the medication was labelled and a copy of the original prescription was included. The medication came from an Australian pharmacy but it was sent by a family member. It was declared to Australian DHL before pick up that it was prescription medication and inspected by the Australian DHL courier on pick up. I was not hiding from DHL what it was... just from random people on the internet! lol!

***?! yea i share ur frustation as i am familiar with the way and rates they charge for imported goods.

I imported some personal goods from Hongkong and its total cost including shipping which is 500,0000 vietnamese dong cost me another 200,0000 vietnamese dong which is equivalent to 300usd in total when it cleared vn customs. I ordered for expedited courier but it took more than awhile to reach me.
Local people are too complaining and in fact  massively opposed the idea of overtaxing sellers and buyers trading on Vietnam

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Inappropriate language.
Poke325 wrote:

***?! yea i share ur frustation as i am familiar with the way and rates they charge for imported goods.

I imported some personal goods from Hongkong and its total cost including shipping which is 500,0000 vietnamese dong cost me another 200,0000 vietnamese dong which is equivalent to 300usd in total when it cleared vn customs. I ordered for expedited courier but it took more than awhile to reach me.
Local people are too complaining and in fact  massively opposed the idea of overtaxing sellers and buyers trading on Vietnam

You mean 30usd, which is around 700k.

I just heard from UPS re: my motorcycle helmet from the U.S. -

We would like to inform that your shipment has arrived at UPS warehouse. Please kindly find the attached file and confirm this shipment is Individual or Company

If it's your Individual shipment, please provide below additional information to do Customs clearance:
- Description of items in Vietnamese or the picture
- Brand/model:
- Material and Usage:
- Brand new 100% or used:
- Specific quantity:

I sent them a picture rather than a description in Vietnamese.  ;)

Hi! No mate. Not 30usd. I said 300usd. Two zeros. Look again, mate..

Poke325 wrote:

Your placement of the comma after four '0's is confusing. The convention is - after every three digits from right to left.

Poke325 wrote:

I imported some personal goods from Hongkong and its total cost including shipping which is 500,0000 vietnamese dong cost me another 200,0000 vietnamese dong which is equivalent to 300usd in total when it cleared vn customs.

colinoscapee wrote:

You mean 30usd, which is around 700k.

Poke325 wrote:

The confusion is of your own creation, mate.

You've placed your commas in incorrect places to designate the numbers you now imply you intended.

After rereading your post, ₫5,000,000 and ₫2,000,000 VNĐ appear to be the amounts you wanted to communicate, mate...

cruisemonkey wrote:
Poke325 wrote:

Your placement of the comma after four '0's is confusing. The convention is - after every three digits from right to left.

You posted 4 seconds faster than me... 😉

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
cruisemonkey wrote:
Poke325 wrote:

You posted 4 seconds faster than me... 😉

I win!  ;)

Poke325 wrote:

Ok mate, I see that you incorrectly wrote the amounts. Good on ya mate.

Hey mate, that's not the point I'm sharing about. Point I'm sharing with expats and locals here is the overtaxing issue on imported goods which virtually nobody is enjoying for long time since when its started. Same goes for imported cars. That's reason you don't see evos, stis, rexes, fd3s, fcs, mr2s. You only see bikes instead of cars here
Back to the what convention you was feeling miserable on, they are confusing all the people with so many zeros. So its simple just count the zeros right. Nvm the commas,you don't see them everyday on the notes itself

So what's ur problem? The whole idea is not about the comma so what is your problem cruise monkey. You here to comment on expat.com members on comma-placing? Comon turn to the next page, read on, there are plenty of other more interesting articles

Poke325 wrote:

What you failed to mention was the product itself, while import tax rates are the same here the HS or tariff code dictates what tax and duty is applied in import by the government.

If you believe you were over taxes ask the agent for the customs entry acceptance advice. This document will show you the rate of exchange, value declared, origin and most importantly the HS code used.

Same process in every other country, taxes are government set not by the freight or clearing agent.