Import tax

hey. any idea how much the tax would be when ordering phones online to come to the DR? they are apple so definitely over 200 dollars. any answers will be appreciated. i use BM cargo

Welcome to the forums.  It's 8% duty plus 18% ITBIS (sales tax )

Does anyone know if it's the same tax on laptops over $200US?  Thanks.
It's great that every kid needs a laptop for school and the government provides them freely unless your kid is in a private school then they get nothing...that's my rant for the day...

Yes it is.. the killer is the 18% sales tax.  Grrrrrr

Sorry I guess they assume if you can afford private tuition you can afford computers!

Thanks and is it on the full amount or just the amount over $200?

2) The point is, it's discrimination.

If you can afford to put your kid in a private school, why should the government subsidize your laptop?

As they say....you gotta pay to play.....

Who said I can afford to put my kid in private school?  Doesn't everyone try to to the best that they can for their kids, affording has nothing to do with it.  You have no idea what I have to do to pay for my kid's school or what sacrifices I make to do it either.

I am not one to say I can't afford something for my son and then smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, eat out everyday, get drunk everyday...if I did those things I will give them up so that my son has a better future.  Wouldn't you do the same?

Also, who says that all of the kids in public school come from poor families than can't afford laptops?  Maybe they are rich but they just prefer the public school system.  The private school system is still governed by the Dominican Ministry of education even though it's an International school.   So if they want to stick their noses in, then they should provide the same benefits that they provide to every public school.

If there are any educated people out there that understand the word discrimination, please add your 2 cents worth, otherwise keep your comments to yourself since you don't know the story or what you are talking about and don't understand basic politics.  Just for the record, my wife and son are both Dominican!

So first the tax is from dollar 1 honey.

I am not disagreeing with you about the unfairness of the assistance with laptops.

Based on the definition of discrimination this does not qualify. 

You have chosen to make sacrifices so your children receive a better quality education.   I admire that.   Does the govt then need to subsidize that? I am not sure. Should your Dominican children receive at least what all Dominican children receive? I think so.   By paying for private education you certainly take the pressure and responsibility off the govt.  That should also count.

So would it be fair your kids receive an equivalent laptop as the public school kids? I can make an argument for yes!

Discrimination takes all forms but I respect your honest response Planner.  The same rules should apply to everyone.   To help someone that cannot help themselves is a different issue.

If you tell your shipper the laptop is for school, they will not tax it, or so I am told by a friend who has done it several times.  Would be worth a question, before buying though.  Phones seem to be a different story.

Domicamike....you asked ...who said....it was Scorpio, the guy who did the OP.

Thanks UB, ordered through Amazon, but let's see what happens... I'll keep you posted.

Dear DomincanadaMike and Planner

Which Dominican children get free laptops?  My husband has 3 children and they have nothing in respect to an education (in my view), never mind a laptop.  They are very poor.  They have not been in school since the pandemic and in 2019, the school was closed often, due to renovations which never happened.  They got a report card for the year, with maybe 8 weeks of schooling for the year.  They are getting a very poor education is what it seems.  When we brought internet to their house/cable tv in 2020 after the pandemic, they started getting some basic learning at home.  But that started this year and I dont have many details.   If there is a program to get laptops, can you tell us about this program and where to get signed up?  It sounds like its only available to a select few.

Mike, sorry about whats happening with your situation.  Of course your making sacrifices for your children.

The DR does not treat education with much respect and that is one major reason why they are still a 3rd world country.  Without education, the people cant help themselves, so they can have a chance for a better future.  And as I said before, they have to take jobs in hotels where they are treated badly, work many hours for very low wages. 

Thank you for any assistance in regard to the laptop program.

Some kids got laptops and many many others tablets for online classes.   I am pretty sure it's based on the grade they were in but not positive.

I believe they had to have internet or wifi access at a minimum but not positive.  Let me see what I can find out.

Thank you for your assistance.  I hope its not too late.

DominicanadaMike wrote:

Thanks UB, ordered through Amazon, but let's see what happens... I'll keep you posted.

From my understanding, you can order from whoever you want, it's your mail forwarder of choice that should notify Aduanas that it is for school.  I can't speak from personal experience, although we did pick up a very good Asus laptop at PriceSmart for a bit more than Amazon was offering.  With shipping, I think we came out ahead.  And it was urgent, so that accounts for something, too.

Karin

I am told that you need to go to the school where your kids are registered to request the items based on their year of study.  I so not know if this is correct but it's a start.  I will continue to investigate

ok I will pass that on, thank  you