Retirement VISA?

My much better half and I are retired Americans, and think that our next adventure in retirement might be to buy a narrowboat and spend the next 2 to 5 years exploring the english canals and rivers. Then sell the boat and on to the next adventure. I am having trouble finding visa info for retirees.  We should meet the required economic restrictions, and have visited the UK numerous times. Any guidance is appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Based on what you've told us, the simple answer is no, the UK does not offer retirement visas to people not living in the UK.  Had you been living in the UK when you reached retirement age, you could have applied for leave to remain for a further 5 years, then for indefinite leave to remain.  But as non-residents, the best you can hope for is the 6 months short-term visa.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I hope it helps a bit.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Expat Team

Thank you. do you happen to know if the 6 month visitor visa is 6 months per calendar year or 6 consecutive months and then how long before you get another 6 consecutive months?
Otherwise it looks like it will be French wine and croissants!! They still have a retirement visa.
Again, thanks,

Hi again.

It's 6 months in a 12 month period, not consecutive; read about them at this link.

This link may give you some advice on places to consider.  I don't specifically recommend it, but it came up in a Google search.

Hope this helps.

Expat Team

New topic