Student visa

hi my name is robin Thomas From India I like study MSC computer science in London,after my education in London can I apply for Post Study Work and how many years can I get the visa for PSW & dependent can work full time?thank you

(moderated: inappropriate comment)

The people on here are not government personnel and can give you the wrong information.

Check out the link below this will guide you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat … mmigration

Some people on here do have experience & knowledge, which they share. And if not, they can direct the person to where the info is, as you just did.

We travel extensively and can't stress enough the importance of having the correct information on Visa requirements for the different countries you wish to travel in.
All Visas are based on the nationality of the individual.
Always always check with the countries Embassy for your nationality do not rely on people on this site giving the information.Information can change without warning.
This also applies to travel health, inoculations injections and tablets for travel abroad, always ask the advice from your health care professional and don't ever think you don't need malaria tablets if traveling in a Malaria zone. Malaria kills
I've seen on forums the idiots who say "I've traveled and never taken tablets and I've never been ill", you cannot put a price on life.
People may mean well on this site but they are not a government body, keep this in mind and stay safe.

Well for matters of healthcare, it's not wise to rely on answers from a non-medical website. Regarding Visa's & other aspects of travel, if someone doesn't have the latest up to date info (or a link to where it can be found), they shouldn't be responding to a thread in the first place. We are supposed to share the newest, reliable info. And I believe the overwhelming replies is accurate, and members are not putting themselves in positions of authority, but simply willing to help out. But it's a good idea to double-check. But many of the questions are quite straight-forward, such as not being able to work while on a tourist visa. You don't need to be an Immigration Officer to answer that.

.. and sadly enough even the information from government officials is not always accurate. Happened to me a couple of times: different officer- different answer. (This is not specific to the UK but rather a bureaucratic phenomenon in many countries)

In addition we do not know the persons Visa history, If they have previously been refused a Visa, if they have be deported,if a Visa was previously cancelled, if they have convictions if they have overstayed previously, and the misunderstanding of language it goes on and  on.
Nothing is straightforward when you do not know the full history of the individual that is why it is more helpful to suggest taking the advice of a solicitor or using the government website.
The individual may make plans based on the information provided and that would not be helpful.
Best not to get involved.

jeanie99 wrote:

In addition we do not know the persons Visa history, If they have previously been refused a Visa, if they have be deported,if a Visa was previously cancelled, if they have convictions if they have overstayed previously, and the misunderstanding of language it goes on and  on.
Nothing is straightforward when you do not know the full history of the individual that is why it is more helpful to suggest taking the advice of a solicitor or using the government website.
The individual may make plans based on the information provided and that would not be helpful.

If you don't feel comfortable giving visa advice I suggest you just don't do it.

Some forum members have a lot of immigration experience and are happy to share it for free. It might help some users to get onto the right track and can save sometimes exorbitant solicitor fees (immigration is big business and lawyers can also wrongly advise you!). This is a FORUM and not a legally binding advice column. No one should ever make big life decisions based on comments on a forum (no matter what type of forum it is). Or do you cut your finger off because someone on a medical forum says so?

In the end it always depends on the relevant government office. And rest assured: If someone has a criminal record, overstayed his visa etc. it will come up either on the database or on paper with the documents which have to be handed in.

jeanie99 wrote:

If someone wants the best advice they can possibly receive on a forum, or from a Solicitor, it's their responsibility to disclose any & every relevant information. We can only advise based on what they want to tell us about themselves. If they hide anything from us, or their Solicitor, then that's solely their problem, and the advice they receive, may as a result, not be appropriate for their situation. Some of us have already got answers to their questions from websites/lawyers/experience etc, and we share it. It saves the person money, as someone has already mentioned, and time researching for an answer. There are visa threads with no replies, because those who read it did not have the answers. We are not a bunch of know-it-all's, or pretending to be experts in immigration. Far from that. I personally was involved in a thread regarding a Spouse Visa to the UK. A few month down the line, it came to my attention that they were successfully granted the Visa. They got the answers to all their questions from this site, and those partaking in the thread where not Immigration advisers or the like.

Your are clearly having a major problem with understanding where I coming from, but I'll try and explain again simply for your benefit.
My replies to any Visa questions are intended to help the individual by saying that most people on this site are not experts in the complex purchase of Visas and it it better to contact the Embassies directly themselves who will provide hopefully the correct information for their legal entry.
If you don't understand where I am coming from I can't do anything about that, you'll just have to come to terms with the fact you don't know everything.
I've been traveling and buying Visas since the 1960s worldwide and wouldn't dream of believing I had a better understanding of the entry requirements for all nationalities in all circumstances for all countries than the Embassies or Consulates.

jeanie99 wrote:

Your are clearly having a major problem with understanding where I coming from, but I'll try and explain again simply for your benefit.
My replies to any Visa questions are intended to help the individual by saying that most people on this site are not experts in the complex purchase of Visas and it it better to contact the Embassies directly themselves who will provide hopefully the correct information for their legal entry.
If you don't understand where I am coming from I can't do anything about that, you'll just have to come to terms with the fact you don't know everything.
I've been traveling and buying Visas since the 1960s worldwide and wouldn't dream of believing I had a better understanding of the entry requirements for all nationalities in all circumstances for all countries than the Embassies or Consulates.

We do understand what you are saying and no one claims to know it all (as it was mentioned in previous posts). A forum is for discussing issues and not meant to provide legally binding advice. In most cases, members refer anyway to the relevant official sites. Maybe you misunderstand the purpose of a forum?
With all due respect, there is a HUGE difference in obtaining a travel visa or trying to immigrate into a country / obtaining a resident visa!  Travel visas are often handled at the relevant embassy, while resident visas are usually  sent back to the desired country and it can take YEARS before being approved.( I am not up to date with the current waiting times in the UK, though).  The time, cost and effort spend on a resident visa makes a travel visa look like a walk in the park!
A webpage does not always answer all the questions and it is often extremely difficult (if not impossible)  to get hold of an government officer who can answer your questions. If you have ever been in that situation, you understand why people post here....

And by the way: it is quite condescending to call people foolish for posting here on the forum.

This thread seems to be slipping off topic so could we get back on track please regarding student visa.
Thank you.

jeanie99 wrote:

I am not having a problem understanding anything you have said. You don't need to explain anything. You're simply on the wrong site. You're a new member here, which is why I and others have to try to explain to you. If you're not happy with the way things work here, then that's not my problem, or anyone else's. There are plenty of other blogs/forums that you can sign-up to, where hopefully members don't dare discuss visa-related issues, unless they work in immigration. Maybe that would suit you. As for us here, we are happy to continue doing what we've been doing before you arrived.

Regards.

Hello everyone,

Just as Stumpy said, this thread is off-topic from the get-go. It will be great if we could all just focus back on the topic. Does anyone have an answer for robinthomas please?

@ jeanie99 > As I told you on another thread, Expat.com is a space for expats and future expats to help each other, share information and their experiences. No one here claims to know everything but we all share our experiences in certain situations; all ranging from problems to find an accommodation to visas as well.

The main aim here is to share information and help. That's all. If you have any information that can help out someone or at the least point them in the right direction, please feel free to share it, just like everyone else does here.

Thank you for understanding,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

robinthomas,

since you are now residing in Denmark, my first suggestion would be to contact the British Embassy in Copenhagen.

From what I understand, your visa will be issued for four month longer than your study course. During these four month you can work full time. (link here:https://www.york.ac.uk/students/support/international/after/working/ )
After the four month you have to leave unless you secure a job offer and apply for a Tier 2 visa.

To get a study visa: https://www.gov.uk/find-course-sponsor
I would recommend to go through this website and look for courses, fees, and application requirements.

You can apply for dependants but have to proof your ability to support them financially (Proof of sufficient funds). It is not really clear to me if you partner is allowed to work while on a dependant visa (it sounds rather difficult). The official rule is a bit unclear to me, but please read for yourself:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _07-14.pdf

Again, I really recommend to ask the embassy!

I have been on dependant visas in other countries and had to change visa type once I had a job offer. But each country has different rules, so please double-check!

I am glad to see that some posting are providing links to government departments that makes good sense and is helpful.

Regarding travel Visa, it's reassuring to know that you are aware that there are different types, as there are different nationalities and Visa entry requirements..

Hi everybody,

Just to inform you that i have removed some off topic posts.

Regards

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thx for the information no_clue :)

jeanie99 wrote:

Regarding travel Visa, it's reassuring to know that you are aware that there are different types, as there are different nationalities and Visa entry requirements..

We are not talking travel visa here, but different types of residence / study visa.