Top Panama Law Firm Advice re Rental Expiring in COVID-19 Emergency

Many expats in Panama may be facing an upcoming rental contract expiring during the national COVID-19 emergency.

Will they be forced to move when the lease expires if the landlord refuses to extend or agree to a new lease?

I posed the following questions to Panama's top law firm Morgan & Morgan:

1. What happens to a tenant in a private lease agreement (not filed with the government) when the residential lease expires during the COVID-19 national emergency?

2. If the landlord refuses to extend or agree to a new lease, must the tenant leave?

3. If the tenant suffers an "economic hardship" during the current national emergency, but always pays his rent and electricity bills on time and wishes to pay every month and remain in the apartment, can the landlord "evict" the tenant when the lease expires?

I got a reply from:

Ramón Varela
Partner | Morgan & Morgan
T: 507 265-7777 ext.7721
[email protected]
MMG Tower | 23rd Floor | Ave. Paseo del Mar | Costa del Este Panama City, Republic of Panama

He wrote: "If the lease expires while the ‘declaración de emergencia' is in force, the landlord cannot vacate the tenant."

Thus, all residential leases remain in effect even after the expiration date while the current government Declaration of Emergency remains in force.

Stay safe and healthy!

Steven Rich, MBA

I hope this legal advice helps out expats whose rental leases will expire during the current Panama coronavirus national emergency.

Thanks for researching these questions and letting us know!

Hi Steven,

Great article by you and right to the point.  Plus the reply from Law Firm Morgan & Morgan was fast and detailed.

My wife and I will be moving to Panama very soon depending upon the opening of Tocumen International Airport.  Before we move I will be setting up a YouTube Channel posting small videos giving recommendations to future Expats looking to relocate to Panama pertaining to legal documents, traveling with a dog, etc. My suggestions will be based upon the experiences I went through.

In closing, Steven I would like to touch base with you. Thanks

-Douglas Morgan

Krist, Glad to help other expats know their rights when their leases expire during the current COVID-19 national emergency.

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for liking my Post here.

Morgan & Morgan is considered the best law firm in Panama.

I think my profile here has my email address. If it does, send me an email. If not, send me a private message here so I can safely send it to you.

I wrote a lot about Panama including "How to Bring your Pet to Panama" which was well received by many viewers.

Steven

Steven hi,

Can you send me your recommendations about bringing a pet to Panama?  Thanks!

Best regards,

Douglas

I wrote this years ago. The process should be the same, but the fees may be higher than when I wrote this. 

http://www.panama-offshore-services.com … panama.htm

Steven

Douglas,

I wrote all of the web pages at the POLS Attorneys site (except for their Blog). Read the other web pages I wrote about immigrating to Panama and obtaining licenses, etc.

Steven