I moved to Panama from UK, am now developing houses here and love it!

Hi All!
I moved to Panama a year ago after living in Trinidad, Grand Cayman, Bahamas and US and am originally from UK. I am now married to a Panamanian and am managing a luxury gated beachfront development in Pedasi (Azueros Peninsula).
I'd love to share my experiences of being an expat for the last 6 years, living in Panama with my wife and 2 dogs or just meet cool people who love to travel and enjoy life.
Cheers!
Martin

Hi Martin and welcome to Expat.com :)

Hi Martin,

I live in Greece but we have been researching Panama for the past 3 months  so far it is looking good. Based on what I have neen reading I have a few questions you may be able to clear up.

I presume the gated communities, such as yours, are more expensive to live in than a house.

Is local hospital insurance only about $80 a month.

Do you believe that $2000 a month is enough to live well on if you own a home. I mean maid, internet, dinners out a few times the week etc.

Least humid area.

Any opinion on Santa Clara? Where would you live.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Steve

Hi and thanks FeeAcer.
Hi Steve....
Yes it is...amenities don't come cheap I'm afraid, nor great design, turn key houses etc.
Yes insurance is about that for 'local coverage'.
Yes easily - but it depends on the area - Panama City is not cheap, nor the well worn touristy areas like Coronado that are closer to the City...you need to go further out to the peace and quiet of the country to really live well for less.
I would say the coast because of the constant breezes.
Santa Clara is an extension of Coronado...there's a lot of development on that stretch of coastline from Gorgona to Rio Hato and it's getting more and more "all-inclusive".
I would honestly live in Pedasi and surrounding areas...its charming, peaceful, beautiful beaches, very safe, good weather etc.
Cheers

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the answers. From the pictures IO have seen of Pedasi  it looks good & I will investigate it further.

I would guess that the humidity & mosquitos are less in this area compared to the other side.

What about a car? What is the best make to have, considering service parts etc. Gas or diesel.

Thanks Again, Steve

My wife and I are trying to retire in late 2010 or early 'll.  We would like to devote up to a year traveling and visiting Central and South America (including Mexico) to see what might be best for us. 

I would like to do some writing about Expats using sweat equity in their real estate dealings to gain, savings, location or profits in, say, home rental, or business acquisitions.

I hope to meet some expats who have already working on projects or may have actually completed them while we are still in the US.
    Thanks,   MK

Hi Martin!  My husband and I are considering relocating to Panama or Costa Rica.  We are pretty adenturous and love to travel.  We are in our late 30's and early 40's and aren't ready to retire yet.  He is an Architect and I am a School Social Worker.  I was really excited to see that you are a developer.  We are having a hard time finding information on current employment in our fields.  We are also open to changing fields.  We wouldn't mind doing something similair to what you are doing or opening a bed and breakfast.  Unfortunately, we don't even know where to start.  We would love any ideas that you may have.

Wonderful Martin.  I am so glad that you have lived all the places I am considering moving to.  Panama is at the top of my list. As a single mother of 2 boys ages 5 and 9, where are some good schools and affordable areas for American expats.  Is there a process that I need to complete before I become citizen?  Any criminal activity or natural threats I should watch out for?  Lastly, I am able to speak Spanish, however my boys can not, is there a community of expat familys?  I want to stay near the water.  I receive military disability, so I am trying to stretch my income as far as I can.

smilepurdy  Yesterday 03:55:52 Nassau, New Providence

Dear SmilePurdy,

Just want to let you know you are responding to someone's post from 2010 and when I looked at his profile, he hasn't posted on the forum in 8 months. You may want to start a new post for yourself and ask the same questions for more active members to reply.

Kindly, Zeus

Hi Martin!
We(my husband and I) are just beginning the idea of moving to and retiring in Panama. I'm not familiar with the area you are talking about living in and managing a community in.
Please tell me a bit about it.

I think I would like to be near Panama City. Although I guess I could never be very far away, as the country is not that big.
I am mostly concerned with climate and Healthcare. I am thinking not too hot. I don't mind the rain, but I do love my sunshine. Beach is good, but I don't have to be on the beach, just withing a couple of hours.

We live in Denver, Colorado, USA now. We will be attending the RETIRE OVERSEAS Conference in Las Vegas in early September to get some ideas.

I'd love to hear from you. Brits are the BEST!!

from 2010????
why is this showing up in my email as a new post?

Hi Martin

I am from South Africa and would love and come help build with you.
I have been in the building industry for 20 years and now find myself with out work.
I am a qualified carpenter by trade and work in the glass business fitting Aluminum windows
for 6 years

Regards
Brian

Martin!
Are you still here?
This post is so old. Or, is it a misprint?

Let me know. I'm coming to Panama.

Tom

@MGC dont do it, Panama has became a very dangerous place for expats..

@manper

Hello, please note that the OP posted back in 2010 .. Since 2010, don't know if has made the move but he is not very active on the forum.

Regards

Bhavna

@MGC

Hi Martin,

I have 10 years of luxury condo management experience I have opened and managed 2 condo resorts in Turks & Caicos, 2 condo resort properties in Belize, and a Mekong River Cruise Ship.   I have also worked on resort turnaround projects in Grenada,   Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas,  Maldives, and Nassau.  I am looking to pick up work either as a consultant or short-term contract in Panama in Padasi and wondered if there were any opportunities.   Also do have any chance of being hired if I do not speak Spanish?   I speak only English, but this has never been an issue for me in the past.   Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cynthia

@hicynthia137 hi there. If you find an international company, you have a decent chance, but i suggest you learn spanish asap. I found that only a very small portion of Panamenians speak english. And it is like anywhere. U a foreigner, so making the effort, is highly appreciated. Even if u do it with translator apps and images. Also. Make sure you have any visa but the tourist visa, cuz under a tourist visa, ure not allowed to work in panama. The whole country finds ways around it, but IF u get caught, the punishment is deportation.

I was in Pedasí last week and WOW, development there is amazing. I also learned the airport was moved. We landed on another landing strip that looks better than the old one.  If you want cheap charter flights to Pedasí,  check Blue Skies Panama

@MGC

@Bhavna

Hello,

can we delete Post here or just edit? Since he hasn't posted or been on since 2010 I wanted to delete my question to him. 😂

@Choosehappychoosehappy

Hello, you can not delete your post but you can report it and we will delete it for you.

Regards

Bhavna