FINALLY DECIDED TO MOVE

Hello Everyone,
I'm not a brand new member but I have hardly ever posted anything here and certainly not for a loooong time lol

Anyway, We did it. We've finally decided to make the move full time and want to move to DR late next year.

We are scared but excited and know this is the right move for us.

I really hope that you will be ok if I lean on you guys a bit as we are so green.

I really hope that you and your families are all doing well during these crazy times we are going through.

Much love and Thank you!

Welcome, and that's exactly what this forum is for.  It was, and still is, such a valuable resource for us.

Welcome to the forum.  We'll all be here to help you through your transition.  Lean away...

Congratulations on the decision!  Good for you and your family! 

Ask any questions you have.  Keep reading and start threads as needed as well! 

Most of us really enjoy helping others!

My search:

youtube.com/watch?v=Da7PhZ6_dCY

Kind regards,

Jay

I am also trying to make my move, as soon as the borders open. Maybe this week ?
I am leaning also... :)

Ramona

Definately not.opening this week.   July 1 they will open airports and you will need to jump through hoops to get here.

I should say scheduled to open airports!  The way we are going who knows.

Congratulations!  A little jealous :)  We are in the planning stages of moving to the DR, but it is a 10 year plan so need to be patient.  LOVE the DR.  Hope that your move goes well and that you enjoy paradise every day.

How do you find this info..about July 1? It's good to know, but I haven't seen much on "official" sites. It would be good to be in the known more often.

Ramona

That is because things are projected and not actually official.

Today we are supposed to move into phase II of the reopening plan and nothing is officially announced yet.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/covid-19/ … -phase-ii/

Thx !

You're welcome.
I guess the situation has overcome the DR Government as every government in the world. But I guess we'd need to monitor the situation ourselves and share it with anyone we can, like we're doing it with this forum.

Perhaps there is some solace to be taken from how much better the DR is doing relative to the US .  .  .

"So nationally, where does that leave us and then data points and moving on .  .  .

I did not want to get ‘good' at this and I may not be.  But I am doing better at getting through all of this and discerning, organizing information and painting in broader strokes and at least from the perspective of biology we are kinda f'ed.  Locked in after exposure or out in the thousands hollering and swapping spit it just doesn't bode well. 

If you have an alternative hypothesis I want to hear it." (From my daily email to friends: JR)

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc … ic/612796/

The reopening of the DR depends upon a government reopening plan which requires a continuous State of Emergency be granted to the DR's President.  The current renewal of the State of Emergency expires at the end of June.  If it is not renewed all further reopening steps are nullified and the DR can reopen immediately after expiration. 

I expect July will see a complete reopening of the DR, but I have been wrong twice about the State of Emergency extensions.  It took a lot of politics to get the last SOE extension, or the DR would already be "open".

As for giving up on the pandemic, social distancing and keeping the economy closed was to not overload the medical system.  Those things cannot get rid of a pandemic.  People are tired of being kept at home, not working, etc. They will only stay confined for so long.  The same thing has happened in the DR where people are starting to act "normally" again.  Social distancing guaranteed there would be spikes/another wave.

Welcome!
This is the best place to live. You're going to love it here!

I need wait still couple of years
But I would like move soon
Where in DR?
Region i mean

Welcome Tomyroni,   Where to live here depends what you are looking for in a lifestyle. This island is reasonably big and its different from place to place.  Not a one size fits all solution here. What I love you may hate!  So, tell us more about you and what you are looking for.

Aricica wrote:

Thx !

So how goes the move?

I hope Tony Roma brings his ribs !!!

sorry---- couldn't resist !!  :joking::cool:

Bad joke  Willie but funny.....   FYI that restaurant is just down the street from my office in SD.

I must have read his name too quickly....

hehehe

You did but it's still funny!   :D

Humble Suggestion: Make a spreadsheet.. Left column potential destinations.

Columns across the top, things you'd like to have or avoid with relative 'weights' as decision making factors.

Example:

Hurricanes, biological diversity, interesting stuff to see, infrastructure, tourists, flowing fresh water, varied topography, remoteness / closeness, security of food chain, proliferation of scammers, bars, tourists, etc, proximity to other needs, healthcare, hardware, alt energy tech, cost of living, proximity to empty beaches, feel & vibe of the residents, ... 

Then see how it all 'adds up' in your weighted matrix.  Me?  I'm just too damn old to remember a zillion data points.  As it was, the "math" has matched my "gut" so all good thus far.

Just a suggestion but it worked for me.  Ended up in Cabrera after a scouting trip focusing on that area.

After having doing something along much the same line for Nicarauga, Guatemala, Panama, Belize, Hondouras, Costa Rica, Puerto RIca, the DR and probably forgot a few places using other variable across the top....

Kind regards and best of luck,

JR

PS  I arrived here totally destroyed and prepared to live the rest of my days on rice and beans.  The restorative powers of the relocation, the climate, and the people, have had a better outcome for me than I could have dared imagine at the time.