Residencia - 2020 - How to get it done.

Thanks for the input, I was born in New York so I will look into getting my birth certificate apostilled and I'll call and check with the consulate to verify exactly which documents they can apostile.

So when you come to the DR.....I understand the 30 visa is automatic.....but where do you go to extend for the 120 day visa ?

So I think when you come to the DR....the 30 day visa is automatic.....but where do you go to extend it for 120 days ?

https://servicios.migracion.gob.do/

And techinically it's not a "visa", only visitors from a select number of countries need a visa to come as a tourist. For most, the tourist entry tax (previously called a visitor card), included in your airline ticket, is what grants you up to 30 days in the country.

and you extend up to  120 days online. THe   link is in previous posts.

Thank for that update.

The extension is 90 days.... plus your 30

120 days is the maximum

I need to ask a question in regard to visa and residency. From my reading of the requirements above it looks to me like don't  qualify under any single category.
Here is how I am situated so far as income. I am from Canada and retired. I recieve 1500 a month Canadian that's roughly 1200 US from our government. So I don't qualify on this. I just bought a condo and payed 190k US cash. but its short of the. 200k noted above. I plan to rent the condo out and it will provide more income but I don't have 5 years history. My personal investment provide 40k in dividends annually  and total investments are in  7 figures.  So I have income but it does not seem to fit into any one of the buckets above. Can someone suggest a direction I might follow? Thank you on advance.

i would suggest calking the dominican embassy so info does not get lost in translation.
773-714-4924 chicago
i get all my info from them
hope it helps

If you have a 5-year history of dividends, that will qualify you! The "rentista" qualification is with any type of passive income, including rental on real estate outside the DR.

Gbc G59 wrote:

I absolutely  agree with you

Agree with who? About what?

I commented that it seemed that poster was commenting on various threads and often they didn't make sense.

OK I am here to say thank you to Lishali. It's been a long road but finally I got my residency. Between the pandemic and some personal issues I was originally denied residency but because of Lishali's  perseverance, talent and truly caring she got the job done. I think I'll bring her a bottle of wine. THANKS LILY

Congratulations. We are using her too for our residence paperwork

Congrats Emetz that is great news.  I have personal knowledge of two others she has pulled out of the fire and got residency for!!!

Thrilled for you and great work Lishali!

Lily is amazing. I think she was as excited as i was. She called me by video at 7:30 my time 8:30 in the DR to tell me. The smile on her face told me everything before she told me the news. She is not only smart and talented but she has a passion for doing things right.

She is amazing, honest and nice. Rare qualities in a lawyer. LOL She has become a friend.

Because of this group I also hire her to do our residence paperwork after a bad taste with another immigration lawyer and yes, she is good, knows what she does and a very caring person. Sooo happy for all the good feedback about Liz. Congratulations 🍾

Yes because you can do it online

The first residency application can be complicated and anything but easy.

Lishali is also helping us with our residency.  It has been a long process and hit a snag yesterday, but she assures us it will be worked out.    Hopefully this spring it will be official!!

Same us. Hope you are not working with Florida State, they are worth nothing.. Horrible communication with them.
Lishall is very good. We're working with her too.

My wife and I are looking at retiring to DR when we reach that age in a few years. We'll be able to qualify based on income, at least as it stands today, so that's no problem.

My question is, if we're there on a pensionado visa, are we able to work as long as we claim income and pay taxes? I'm a perpetual busy body and would be happy to do editing/polishing of English translations, as that's one of the things I do now here in the States. Plus, I might also want to teach martial arts. Neither would be a full-time gig, just something to keep busy and productive.

Thanks for any advice!

Once you have any form of residency you will also have a cedula.  Then you are legal to work!  So, yes!

I am doing the whole process myself matter of fact I met with lishaly. and I dint like the fee she was asking .so an order to save money I decided to venture on my own .
So far so good got all the documentation require  most of them translated to Spanish . Just waiting for the visa..

planner wrote:

Once you have any form of residency you will also have a cedula.  Then you are legal to work!  So, yes!

Outstanding! Thank you very much for the quick reply!

So many ducks to get in a row, but at least we have some time...  :)

Rich, you amd just like me lol
i did all my wife residency and citezenship applications in the states. this can not be any harder lol
I have pretty much all my docs except my new passport in july and the app filled in already.
come june- july when new passport arrive i will submit and done.
thanks guys

That is not how it works!  You have to submit from the USA not from here.  You need to go back there to start the process and some documents must be issued within  30 days of asking for the residency visa there!   You all need to understand it is not that simple!

of course i meant whole in the stàtes, i uderstand that part. is not difficul either.
Thanks

But you understand some of your documents have to be done within 30 days of applying honey?  I believe the  background check is one of them.

What kind of things do they look for with the medical exam once you're in DR?

They are looking for  drugs,  TB, and anything communicable I believe.

correct

BertEdens wrote:

What kind of things do they look for with the medical exam once you're in DR?

The "exam" consists of providing blood and urine samples, a chest x-ray, and a short interview. You'll need to disclose any medications you're taking - including any OTC since they can impact blood tests. For instance, Sudafed can occasionally give a false positive for meth or amphetamines. Much better to be honest upfront in case it happens than to not disclose and then have to try to explain a false positive!

I've heard that the most common reason people are denied residency from the medical exam, especially since legalization in Canada, is because of the presence of THC. It doesn't matter if marijuana is legal where you live, or where you indulged! You cannot have it in your system at the time of your test.

Yes is not that hard  is just gathering paper work translation into Spanish and some of them need to be Apostillado.once you get the visa  like planner said you have 30 to get all paper work and apply to Residency.
If you want to save money  this is the way to go.

Rich - I think the time limit Planner was talking about was the age of the documents when you apply for your residency visa at the consulate in your home country.

Once you receive your residency visa, you then have 60 days to complete the application for residency and submit it in Santo Domingo and then take your medical exam.

Yes that exactly how the Consulate explained to me here in Boston. Probably was me mixing things but either way  if you want to save money this is not a hard process.
At least for hasn't been so far .

I am going to suggest that until you have successfully actually done it, you should reserve judgement. 

Easy to confirm - yes doing it yourself will be less expensive!

Is it easy? Time will tell. 

Is it easy  once you attempt the process here?  Again, time will tell!

Ok  is on Planner  hahahah

Rich, for the Residency Visa part, it is very much up to you.  A lawyer can assist you, but it's all homework you need to do.  The difficult part, once you arrive with the Visa and the 60 days start, is another thing all together.  It has defeated many people, and they've left the island in frustration and given up.  A good lawyer makes the application process for residency almost painless, except for your wallet.  You need to decide weather several hundred dollars for a smooth and painless process with plenty of hand-holding and explanations of what is going on, is worth your peace of mind.  Most of us come here to reduce our stress and enjoy our new life, and this process, in my opinion, is absolutely worth spending money on.  It's most Expats first interaction with the DR Government, and it's here you realize what kind of strange beast you are dealing with.  Don't go in unarmed.  Speaking Spanish doesn't help with this.  Pay a reputable lawyer to help you with this one, renewals are much easier and can be done online yourself with only a bit of troubles.  Get a good lawyer for the first go, though, it is so much better for you.