Wedding - non-national in a bunad?

Background: I've been with my norwegian (newly engaged) fiance for a year and half and lived in Norway for 6 months now. Norway feels like home and I understand more of the language every day as well!

I have a question. When speaking about planning a wedding, my partner will wear a bunad and he would like me to wear a bunad as well. Either from the area we live in or from his grandmothers area. I am happy to do this, I actually prefer the idea as spending so much money on a 'white wedding dress' is ridiculous to me, I'd rather have something to cherish, that I can rewear and keep for life.

Any thoughts on how this would be received?! I know the bunad is very cultural and I wouldnt want to offend anyone by wearing it. What's the general opinion of non nationals wearing a bunad?!

Hello,

I don't know anything about Norwegian traditions. But why wouldn't you suggest that everyone wear the traditional dress of their country?

In this way, each would take a step towards the other without worrying about making a cultural error ...

And it would also show respect for each other.

Other than that, all my best wishes for the next wedding.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

What a fantastic idea; I'm a Brit and my wife is Dutch, the Netherlands also has traditional clothing and prior to us getting married I had photos taken of me in traditional Dutch clothing, the idea was to use them in the wedding invitations we had printed.

Whatever, my opinion is that if your future is in Norway, then anything you can do to integrate into the society where you live is an excellent thing.

I wish you both the best for a long life together.

Cynic
Expat Team

you could always wear "festdrakt" instead of a bunad, which is a bunad style outfit that isn't linked to a specific area.

However, my impression is that as long as you're wearing the bunad properly (i.e. with the correct accessories) and you have a link to the area you're wearing (through marriage or residency) it is not frowned upon. It does seem to be VERY important to wear it properly so that the cape, shirt, silver, apron, hat are all the correct ones with the dress.

Personally, I went with an inexpensive white dress and invited all the guests to wear their bunad/traditional dress. The guests from my side of the family loved the outfits and it made for some great photos with me in the dress and all the bunad guests around me. Bunads are SO expensive if you also get all the silver so I'm thinking of slowly gathering it over time if I decide to go for it.

Thank you to the three who replied on this post. I did read them and have had some time to think and talk to my partner about it. And thank you ECS for introducing me to the 'festdrakt' I've decided to make my own wedding dress, using inspiration from various festdrakts and low key wedding dresses I have seen. It incorporates my partner's wishes and also mine (to not spend an extortionate amount on a wedding dress!! and to avoid the traditional white dress bride look) I have a year to make the dress and embroider the patterns ect :) I big project but it feels like the right option. Thank you for the advice again, i appreciate it. The only other hiccup now is immigration regulations and coronovirus -.-!