COVID-19 and expatriation in Argentina

Hello everybody,

The COVID-19 crisis inevitably impacts Argentina, between closed airports or periods of containment in some cities or even the entire country .
We would like to hear from you during this unusual period, to find out what the consequences of this pandemic are on your expatriation or expatriation project in Argentina.

Does the current crisis call into question your long-term expatriation project?
If you are already settled in Argentina, do you plan to return to your home country?

How are you living through such an uncertain period, especially if you are far from your loved ones?

Have any of you ended your Argentina in expatriation unexpectedly?

Paradoxically, has this crisis brought you closer to some people?

What are your plans for the future?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Hope you are doing well.

Loïc.

I would like to give a very positive version of our mutual experience.  It surprises me a bit, because I have been through hard times in Argentina, Africa and elsewhere.  I converted an old hostel, built in 1948 by French refugees from WWII.  I separated it into apartments.  Our economy is difficult, mostly nobody can afford to buy or build.  Somehow, the 4 tenant families and I get along most of the time.  And then there is bickering.  However, since our lockdown, if anyone is going out for anything, they offer to bring something back for the others.  The children, while social distancing, have invented a game of badminton with a 500 ml plastic coke bottle across the fence. Everyone, despite horrific inflation and unemployment, is sharing food with the neighbour/tenants.  And suddenly, although we are all scared, frustrated, and maybe we do not love our mother-in-law or daughter's boyfriend, we tolerate better, give more, and we feel a sense of community.  We cannot leave our houses except for essential supplies during limited hours.  We cannot enter houses of others, and nobody may enter our village if not resident here.  All logical, all correct, but my enchanting village has, within 3 blocks, a despensa (type of 7-11, less plastic), butcher, baker, greengrocer, and supermarket. We want them to survive this too, so we do not shop elsewhere.  At 9 pm, someone fires up a music machine for 3 minutes, and the whole neighbourhood claps, bangs pots, and chants thank you to the healthcare workers and others trying to help us.  It makes one reconsider and appreciate that we are human and alive.  I hope whoever reads this finds something comforting or inspirational.  I am not a communicator, I like my own company, but nobody is alone, and we can rebuild bridges.  Reach out if you can.  It makes a difference.

Over 524,000 people in Argentina have been infected by covid.
That is fewer than in several South American countries, including Brazil
(over 4.2 million cases), Colombia and Peru.

This month, outdoor areas at restaurants and bars reopened
in Argentina's capital.  Month's ago, Argentina's workplaces and
hair salons reopened.  Recently, the number of new covid cases in Argentina
has risen to about 12,000 per day.

A Washington Post report dated 9/11/20 discusses updated covid conditions
in Buenos Aires and other South American cities.  A photograph
shows B.A. diners seated at an outdoor restaurant site
as a tot on a skateboard rolls by.

Source... www.washingtonpost.com
   "Latin America struggles to cope with pandemic"