DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

BOOSTER JAB REGISTRATION TODAY

goodolboy wrote:

SIGN OF THE TIMES I SUPPOSE.
Had to go in to Q1 this morning so we decided to go to have an Indian & a beer for lunch at Bollywood in Bui Vien Street. No such luck, all locked up & deserted, next door down said finished no come back. Pity that, really nice people, food & beer was good I thought.

Oh no, Bollywood stuck it out for a long time, too, went there several times this year before the hem lockdown. Also many visits to their place at Skygarden PMH, I'll see if they are still there. Good prices!

The Hem Colonel's minion came by the house today in Saigon D8, collecting names for the over-50-year-olds. Got put on a list for a booster. No idea when or what brand.
A Christmas present.  :up:

gobot wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Had to go in to Q1 this morning so we decided to go to have an Indian & a beer for lunch at Bollywood in Bui Vien Street. No such luck, all locked up & deserted, next door down said finished no come back. Pity that, really nice people, food & beer was good I thought.

Oh no, Bollywood stuck it out for a long time, too, went there several times this year before the hem lockdown. Also many visits to their place at Skygarden PMH, I'll see if they are still there. Good prices!

Went past there in Bui Vien Street about 4 weeks back & they were still doing take away's. Now shut up tight. Did not know they has another place though, thanks for info.

goodolboy wrote:
gobot wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Went past there in Bui Vien Street about 4 weeks back & they were still doing take away's. Now shut up tight. Did not know they has another place though, thanks for info.

In Ham Nghi you can get some cracking curry sauces in jars to tide you over, along with bread mixes chutneys, basmati rice etc all you have to do it add your own onions, meat and you can have an ok curry   for when you cant get out.

Or if your more skilled you can buy all the spices you need to make your own.

Goat is easy to get here and makes a terrific curry, along with Emu, Beef, shrimp, Chicken.

Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
gobot wrote:

In Ham Nghi you can get some cracking curry sauces in jars to tide you over, along with bread mixes chutneys, basmati rice etc all you have to do it add your own onions, meat and you can have an ok curry   for when you cant get out.

Goat is easy to get here and makes a terrific curry, along with Emu, Beef, shrimp, Chicken.

Couple of nice curry places in Thao Dien .. but it's a ball ache for anyone outside the. District to travel to and park

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Couple of nice curry places in Thao Dien .. but it's a ball ache for anyone outside the. District to travel to and park

Mabe because the place is full of brits lol after all it is the staple food to go with a pub crawl

Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
gobot wrote:

A visit to Bollywood was more of a social outing to say hello, have a beer, change of food now & then & people watching for me. Sad to say Indian is not a major part of my culinary diet but if someone else cooks it I am good.

Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Mabe because the place is full of brits lol after all it is the staple food to go with a pub crawl

Ummm remind me again what colour passport you have 😂

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

You want the British one or the Australian one?

Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

British 😂

goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

A visit to Bollywood was more of a social outing to say hello, have a beer, change of food now & then & people watching for me. Sad to say Indian is not a major part of my culinary diet but if someone else cooks it I am good.

I only mentioned it for the ease of making it if you miss it, but yes the going out bit is also good,, not  been doing a lot of that for 9 months

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

British 😂

No doubt the reason for an idian curry house there is because of the huge amount of customers they would get, D1 & Thao Dien thats about it in HCMC for curry places think the same is also true for "fish & Chip" shops  :D

Andybris2020 wrote:

...  makes a terrific curry, along with Emu ...

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ummm remind me again what colour passport you have

https://iili.io/7rrts9.jpg
https://iili.io/7r4MI2.jpg

gobot wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Both roo and emu, goat are all great for curry not so much croc but it does make a great croc pie.

Or if your into local fair then rice mouse makes a great beer snack.

Andybris2020 wrote:
gobot wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Both roo and emu, goat are all great for curry not so much croc but it does make a great croc pie.

Bush tucker seems to be cyclical down there. Rabbits were plentiful, then cane toads, kangaroo such a delicacy that people installed "roo bars" on their "utes" for highway hunting.
Latest in the southeast is mice. You say they are now a pub treat? Makes sense.

https://iili.io/7iI2zF.png

gobot wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
gobot wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Bush tucker seems to be cyclical down there. Rabbits were plentiful, then cane toads, kangaroo such a delicacy that people installed "roo bars" on their "utes" for highway hunting.

We dont eat cane toads, they can be eaten but only the legs due to poisonous glands in the body.

colinoscapee wrote:
gobot wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

We dont eat cane toads, they can be eaten but only the legs due to poisonous glands in the body.

Omg yeah!  Seen many a family pet vomiting up after just licking on a road,,, yuk!
The rice mouse comment was the ones here in Vietnam they feed on the local rice and have a sweet taste.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Asta-Zenica vaccine may not be too effective against the Omicron strain circulating around the world. Here is a link: Bad news.  Omicron may not yet be in Vietnam but as there is talk from official sources about loosening travel restriction, it will be arriving not long from now.

From reading this forum, I believe that A-Z is the most common jab that people in Vietnam got.  It seems that it is ineffective against contracting the variant but I think it is still a little unclear about whether it protects against severe cases.  The Chinese and Russian products may be even less protective.   

Just my opinion but I think we are well past the time when Pfizer and Moderna need to give up their patents and allow manufacturing in other countries.  Vietnam may be very capable of producing more than enough for its population and maybe for export as well.

THIGV wrote:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Asta-Zenica vaccine may not be too effective against the Omicron strain circulating around the world. Here is a link: Bad news.  Omicron may not yet be in Vietnam but as there is talk from official sources about loosening travel restriction, it will be arriving not long from now.

From reading this forum, I believe that A-Z is the most common jab that people in Vietnam got.  It seems that it is ineffective against contracting the variant but I think it is still a little unclear about whether it protects against severe cases.  The Chinese and Russian products may be even less protective.   

Just my opinion but I think we are well past the time when Pfizer and Moderna need to give up their patents and allow manufacturing in other countries.  Vietnam may be very capable of producing more than enough for its population and maybe for export as well.

I was lucky enough to get AZ/Pfizer I believe you are correct Moderna has also done a tablet that just got stamped for approval with a 30% effectiveness the vote was 13/10 for it to be approved some asking why when the effectiveness was so low, the answer was in the fight against covid the 30% would want it.

There was also stories that stopping international travel may be too late as countries have got it and it is spread many many times faster than delta.

There is mixed data on death rate some say more deadly some say not as deadly lets hope its starting to weaken.

Stay safe for Christmas everyone.

None of the vaccine manufacturers have ever claimed their product stops you getting any of the strains of Covid.

window cleaner day!

https://i.postimg.cc/z3qC1NzY/window-cleaner-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cvcW2fXS/window-cleaner.jpg

Made it to Phuoc Hai couple of days ago & back yesterday no problems. At the resort Ms My had to do the scan thing at check in but they did not even ask to see proof of 2 vaccines or recent Covid test.

Off to Tuyen Lam ( Da Lat ) for Christmas but Swiss Belresort require Ciovid test taken within 72 hours of arrival & proof of 2 vaccine or dont even try to come!

Scary stuff,, ours is 35 floor and no wood seat
https://i.postimg.cc/7YFZLZRn/Screenshot-20211221-132037-Gallery.jpg

Andybris2020 wrote:

Scary stuff,, ours is 35 floor and no wood seat, I asked how much get paid, answer several hundred thousand vnd a day.
Would need to be in USD before i even looked over the ledge.
https://i.postimg.cc/7YFZLZRn/Screensho … allery.jpg

Ms.Cindy Nha Trang wrote:

Are you in Nha Trang?

Not addressed to anyone in particular and she even had the temerity to use the logo of her realty company as her icon.   :one   Don't report it and let's see how long before the moderators find it on their own.

Are you in Nha Trang?

Nice to see you again Cindy.

Thanks again for showing me some available apartments when I was in Nha Trang last year.

To reply to one person, you can use the "quote" function, found next to the word "reply" by clicking the three dots: •••

Welcome to the Vietnam forum.

For New Members :- It is polite to come on the forum and get to know members before trying to get them to add you as a contact, as for promoting one's services (which the code of conduct does not allow), it is better to list them in the appropriate section: Vietnam business directory.

Andy
Expat.com Team

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Are you in Nha Trang?

Nice to see you again Cindy.

Thanks again for showing me some available apartments when I was in Nha Trang last year.

To reply to one person, you can use the "quote" function, found next to the word "reply" by clicking the three dots: •••

Welcome to the Vietnam forum.

Another day...another OB contact/recomendation .. it's like reading through someone little black book of contacts 🤣

@Jlgarbutt

Code of Conduct
OPINION:
The entire concept of this forum is to promote the free exchange of information and ideas. Therefore, everyone has a fundamental right to form and express their own opinions, provided that they comply with the terms of use of the website. However, it is not acceptable to criticize or abuse another member in any way for simply expressing their opinion or making a personal observation. If you find the opinion expressed offensive you should not take matters into your own hands nor should you make any abusive comments_ please use the Report button so that we manage the issue

ADVERTISING:
The forum is not aimed at helping you to promote your company and products. If your thread is of a commercial nature, please use the dedicated sections: we invite you to register in theVietnam Business directory or to have a look at our Advertising page.

The forum can't be used to promote external groups or organizations. Should you want to organize gatherings/activities with the other members, kindly get in touch with us: we would be pleased to help you.

Andy
Expat.com Team

NEW MOTORBIKE FIRST SERVICE…………………………………..DONE
COVID TEST…………………………………………………………….........DONE...for anyone interested cost 150,000VND.
BOOK HOTEL BAO LOC………………………………………………......DONE
BOOK HOTEL DA LAT TUYEN LAM ……………………………….....DONE
PACK SUITCASE (REMEMBER WOOLY JUMPER & RAINCOAT)...DONE

LETS GO DA LAT (Tuen Lam Lake)…...HAPPY CHRISTMAS, what a bonus!!made it through another year!!

goodolboy wrote:

COVID TEST…………………………………………………………….........DONE...for anyone interested cost 150,000VND.

LETS GO DA LAT (Tuen Lam Lake)…...HAPPY CHRISTMAS, what a bonus!!made it through another year!!

Ask about how was the new bike ....................DONE
Remind take extra socks ..................................DONE
Remind take riding gloves ................................DONE
Remind to look out for buses  on the twisties ..............................................................................DONE
Wish Merry Christmas & a Happy New year  .DONE

Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Remind to look out for buses  on the twisties ..............................................................................DONE

WOW I forgot about the socks & gloves.....thanks for the reminder, lucky read it before setting off & just remembered to take a 2 hundred VND in my wallet for spending or coffee money. Got up at 5AM ready for quick set off...........took me 15 minutes to get ready including breakfast. Now 7.45 & still waiting for my better half! :/

goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

WOW I forgot about the socks & gloves.....thanks for the reminder, lucky read it before setting off & just remembered to take a 2 hundred VND in my wallet for spending or coffee money. Got up at 5AM ready for quick set off...........took me 15 minutes to get ready including breakfast. Now 7.45 & still waiting for my better half! :/

I had mine with me last TET,,, GF and 3 boys DID NOT and they froze their butts off going up the mountain, we had to stop and put the thin ponchos on to keep them warm but they only had thin socks and no gloves! first stop was,,,, yep you guessed it the market for wooly gloves & socks all round they went from sad and shivering to big smile, now even if the temp drops 5 degrees here they race to find the gloves hahaha
Have a great time and post photos,,,, hope there is no rock slides like last year,, buses go way off their lane to get past them,,, scary when its in fog and head on around a corner.

Back to HCMC last night & off down AEON bakery this morning, picnic in the park this afternoon. What a life!! 

https://i.postimg.cc/DSJSmsjd/croissant.jpg

Some fond memories Christmas 2021 at Tuyen Lam Lake Da Lat,

https://i.postimg.cc/gx58pPrG/IMG-20211227-213705.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/PLyHZdZj/20211225-065404.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Snmt9CGn/20211225-065559.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/VSdg9R0k/20211225-065731.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/47vWn3h6/20211225-100000.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/FYJg7KMY/20211225-100348.jpg

NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO POST THIS & A BIT LONG WINDED BUT HERE GOES :-
Hello, Goodolboy has a real life Omicron Story to share & hopefully it will give us all some hope & we can look forward to a sort of more normal life in the future. In this story there are no links to statistics or copy & paste from internet sites or any unqualified scare mongering from someone who thinks they are an expert.  Just a real life as it happened & is happening as we speak.
On Boxing Day my family back in Scotland had their usual get together Christmas dinner at my youngest daughters house. At the dinner there were 16 people, the next day my youngest daughter was feeling a bit under the weather & did a lateral flow & came up positive so went & got a PCR  & that tested positive. At the dinner there were………….

1 adult woman 70…….2 Astra & 1 Pfizer vaccines
1 adult woman 50…….2 Astra & 1 Pfizer vaccines
1 adult woman 47…….2 Astra
1 adult woman 45……..2 Astra
1 adult woman 27……..2 Pfizer
1 adult woman 21……...none
1 adult man 65……….2 Astra & 1 Moderna
1 adult man 46………..1 Moderna
1 adult man 45………...2 Astra
1 adult man 27…………2 Pfizer
1 teenage boy 18……….2 Pfizer
1 teenage girl 18……….2 Pfizer
1 teenage girl 16……….1 Pfizer
1 boy 12………………..none
1 boy 10………………..none
1 boy 9………………….none

THIS IS THE SITUATION AS OF THIS MORNING

1 adult woman 70…….2 Astra & 1 Pfizer vaccines……….felt really tired for last 2 days & a cough but now feeling fine.
1 adult woman 50…….2 Astra & 1 Pfizer vaccines……….……….felt really tired for last 2 days & a cough but now feeling a lot better.
1 adult woman 47…….2 Astra……….headache & tired for 2 days but today feeling a lot better.
1 adult woman 45……..2 Astra………headache & tired for 2 days but today feeling a lot better.
1 adult woman 27……..2 pfizer……...no symptoms
1 adult woman 21……...no vaccine……..headache & been sleeping for basically 3 days but feeling a lot better today but still not 100%
1 teenage girl 18……….2 Pfizer & booster ……..no symptoms & feeling fine but had Covid Delta previously.
1 adult man 65……….2 Astra & 1 Moderna……...no symptoms
1 adult man 46………..1 Moderna………………..no symptoms
1 adult man 45………...2 Astra…………………..no symptoms
1 adult man 27…………2 Pfizer ………………...no symptoms & feeling fine but had Covid Delta previously.
1 teenage boy 18……….2 Pfizer & booster ……..no symptoms & feeling fine but had Covid Delta previously.
1 teenage girl 16……….1 Pfizer…………………..headache, soar ears, tired & aching all over after 3 days.
1 boy 12………………..no vaccine & no symptoms
1 boy 10………………..no vaccine & no symptoms
1 boy 9………………….no vaccine & no symptoms

So as a positive I can take from this is that Omicron is nothing to be scared of & lets all go on & get back to normal as best we can for a change. ***

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : False
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@GOB
Please refrain from personal slurs or insults
Code of conduct states
OPINIONS:

The entire concept of this forum is to promote the free exchange of information and ideas. Therefore, everyone has a fundamental right to form and express their own opinions, provided that they comply with the terms of use of the website. However, it is not acceptable to criticize or abuse another member in any way for simply expressing their opinion or making a personal observation. If you find the opinion expressed offensive you should not take matters into your own hands nor should you make any abusive comments:

So please keep your posts repectful and polite.
Andy
Expat.com Team

[Post under review]

@GOB
PM sent