Philippines stops visa issuance as COVID-19 cases rise

The Philippines will suspend the issuance of visas, a move that will prohibit the entry of foreigners to the country to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), its top diplomat said Thursday.

"Starting today, all our embassies and consulates will temporarily suspend visa issuance to all foreign nationals, as well as visa-free entry privileges to all foreign nationals," Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. posted on his official Twitter account.

All previously issued Philippines visas to foreign nationals are deemed canceled while visas issued to foreign spouses and children of Filipino nationals remain valid, he said.

Halting visas on arrival for foreigners is up to the Bureau of Immigration (BI), Locsin said in a separate tweet.

“What I just signed is stopping the issuance of visas in all our foreign posts and here, and no visas upon arrival above all but that's BI,” he wrote.

You can read the rest and others  @ https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/19/20/ … cases-risehttps://www.rappler.com/nation/255215-e … oronavirushttps://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/2956 … exceptions

Thanks for those links Tim, much appreciated as I am not getting any answers from immi on FB nor are they answering the phone at our local BI office. I found this in one on the links:

"The DFA said the ban is based on Presidential Proclamation No. 922, dated March 8, 2020, declaring a "State of Public Health Emergency" throughout the Philippines; and Proclamation No. 929, dated March 16, 2020, declaring a "State of Calamity" throughout the Philippines due to the coronavirus disease.

Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr likewise gave assurances foreign tourists stranded in the Philippines will be "deemed to have their visas extended" and will not face penalties when departing the country."

Now I will breath a lot easier as I am still self isolating for another 8 days and after that will severely limit any local travel.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Tim,

Does every one read it this way:

If we already have a tourist visa and are in the Philippines, that the tourist Visa is now canceled?

“Moreover, all previously issued Philippine visas to foreign nationals are deemed canceled. Visas already issued to foreign spouses and children of Filipino nationals remain valid,” it continued.

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1245312/p … z6HBuB7f66
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Not how I read it pej but then again at many times I read incorrectly but feel positive now after reading all of Tims links.
My take on cancelled visas is those applied for from PH. consulates in foreign countries that have been granted but the applicant granted the visa has not yet arrive on PH soil. Those also trying to land here after the said date and expect a tourist visa.

I also think that what Locsin said is very humanitarian, obviously considered us foreigners living here that do so on tourist visas.

" Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr likewise gave assurances foreign tourists stranded in the Philippines will be "deemed to have their visas extended" and will not face penalties when departing the country."

Only time will tell though pej. BTW OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

Not how I read it pej but then again at many times I read incorrectly but feel positive now after reading all of Tims links.
My take on cancelled visas is those applied for from PH. consulates in foreign countries that have been granted but the applicant granted the visa has not yet arrive on PH soil. Those also trying to land here after the said date and expect a tourist visa.

I also think that what Locsin said is very humanitarian, obviously considered us foreigners living here that do so on tourist visas.

" Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr likewise gave assurances foreign tourists stranded in the Philippines will be "deemed to have their visas extended" and will not face penalties when departing the country."

Only time will tell though pej. BTW OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve.

The BOI in Davao has said no visa renewed but no penalty when the lockdown is over

I've read several other things that I failed to get links for that that states if you're here already, you're good. If your visa expires during the shutdown, you will have 30 days to renew w/o penalties once the shutdown has been lifted.

Tim_L wrote:

I've read several other things that I failed to get links for that that states if you're here already, you're good. If your visa expires during the shutdown, you will have 30 days to renew w/o penalties once the shutdown has been lifted.

Thanks Tim

Okieboy wrote:

The BOI in Davao has said no visa renewed but no penalty when the lockdown is over

Hi Okie, Went to BOI in Cagayan de Oro   last Wednesday the 18th of March to renew my tourist visa for max. now of only 2 months. Payed my P2,830. No more fancy sticker for my Passport, just a piece of paper that says i am legal for 2 more months. Can't enter BOI office  without a mask, temp reading and soaked in alcohol. I have no idea what will happen 2 months from now when i attempt to renew again. Maybe they will not renew and ask that foreigners exit the country? Keep healthy.

I doubt you could even get a flight to the Philippines until the virus is over that will be a least a year or more

Okieboy wrote:

I doubt you could even get a flight to the Philippines until the virus is over that will be a least a year or more

What????

:o

the curve is flattening everywhere

soon this will be over but their will be lasting restrictions

Okieboy wrote:

Hi Okie, Went to BOI in Cagayan de Oro   last Wednesday the 18th of March to renew my tourist visa for max. now of only 2 months. Payed my P2,830. No more fancy sticker for my Passport, just a piece of paper that says i am legal for 2 more months. Can't enter BOI office  without a mask, temp reading and soaked in alcohol. I have no idea what will happen 2 months from now when i attempt to renew again. Maybe they will not renew and ask that foreigners exit the country? Keep healthy.

Some time ago when applying for my acr-1 card, I realized time  was running short, only had one month on my visa so I renewed for an additional two months in order to get the proper paperwork in order, the thieves charged me 5,000 PHP for two months.

Completed all the paperwork correctly with one month left. After I went back one month later to pick up my acr-1 card. No card, they explained to me while they were working on the paperwork the extension had expired and I would have to renew again and comeback again, this time the thieves charged me 3300 PHP.

While in limbo the second time, they had run out of sticker extensions, so they kept my passport and told me when I pick up my acr-1 card my passport will be stamped for an additional year.

Other parts of this adventure, when they gave me a date for my lawyer interview, within a minute of the date I knew it would not work, I went back to the window. They informed me it would cost another 1,000 PHP by the thieves to change the date but it had to be approved. My brother-in-law who was my driver, had a doctors appointment on one of the two dates they gave me and in Antipolo he was restricted on driving the second date date.

I had to go to the 2nd or 4th floor, I don't remember which floor, had to put my request in writing, then back to the other floor to get it approved. They gave me the interview with the lawyer that day.

Through all this it took four trips. On this trip I met another who had similar problems, four trips for him & his wife, but he had to fly in and book a hotel room. Imagine the expense for him.

Now immigration is busy, crowded, a sea of humanity, this window, that window, this window again like a Merry-Go-Round. I surmise this sea of humanity is here the second time, the third time, the fourth time and more. If immigration could get organized the place would be empty, one and done for everyone.

Curve for the corona virus like 'PD' mentions, appears to be flattening.
However the Curve for corruption has signs of exponential growth!

Just saying!

Okieboy wrote:

If no one can travel to philippines for one year, do you know what happen to all the economy in that country?

CarNin wrote:
Okieboy wrote:

If no one can travel to philippines for one year, do you know what happen to all the economy in that country?

The Philippines will be fine without foreigners coming in for an extended period if necessary. They are handling this situation well and the people know how to survive. Many have returned to the province from the cities during this time.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

Not everywhere. Much of the developing world will be next, unfortunately.

W9XR wrote:
Okieboy wrote:

Some time ago when applying for my acr-1 card, I realized time  was running short, only had one month on my visa so I renewed for an additional two months in order to get the proper paperwork in order, the thieves charged me 5,000 PHP for two months.

Completed all the paperwork correctly with one month left. After I went back one month later to pick up my acr-1 card. No card, they explained to me while they were working on the paperwork the extension had expired and I would have to renew again and comeback again, this time the thieves charged me 3300 PHP.

While in limbo the second time, they had run out of sticker extensions, so they kept my passport and told me when I pick up my acr-1 card my passport will be stamped for an additional year.

Other parts of this adventure, when they gave me a date for my lawyer interview, within a minute of the date I knew it would not work, I went back to the window. They informed me it would cost another 1,000 PHP by the thieves to change the date but it had to be approved. My brother-in-law who was my driver, had a doctors appointment on one of the two dates they gave me and in Antipolo he was restricted on driving the second date date.

I had to go to the 2nd or 4th floor, I don't remember which floor, had to put my request in writing, then back to the other floor to get it approved. They gave me the interview with the lawyer that day.

Through all this it took four trips. On this trip I met another who had similar problems, four trips for him & his wife, but he had to fly in and book a hotel room. Imagine the expense for him.

Now immigration is busy, crowded, a sea of humanity, this window, that window, this window again like a Merry-Go-Round. I surmise this sea of humanity is here the second time, the third time, the fourth time and more. If immigration could get organized the place would be empty, one and done for everyone.

..................................Interesting post W9(XR, They say patience is a virtue but this sounds more like the definition of insanity. I pay the express lane fee so i dont have to leave my Passport with BOI for 2-3 days. I would never leave my Pasport with that bunch. I read the express land fee is given to BOI employees to "supplement" their income. What other option do foreiners have, either comply or get out of the country. Stay healthy.

scott1953 wrote:
W9XR wrote:
Okieboy wrote:

..................................Interesting post W9(XR, They say patience is a virtue but this sounds more like the definition of insanity. I pay the express lane fee so i dont have to leave my Passport with BOI for 2-3 days. I would never leave my Pasport with that bunch. I read the express land fee is given to BOI employees to "supplement" their income. What other option do foreiners have, either comply or get out of the country. Stay healthy.

.......................* express lane fee

How does the Cash taste?
Delicious....Trust me! Instant Ramen is very popular among college kids for obvious reasons. It can be cooked quickly, it comes in a lot of flavors, it's cheap and it's warm and filling. For the same reasons, Instant Ramen is also very popular in PRISON too!

Just Saying!

:D

pnwcyclist wrote:

Not everywhere. Much of the developing world will be next, unfortunately.

Agreed...I'm getting that "slow boil" feeling too!

:o

pnwcyclist wrote:
CarNin wrote:
Okieboy wrote:

The Philippines will be fine without foreigners coming in for an extended period if necessary. They are handling this situation well and the people know how to survive. Many have returned to the province from the cities during this time.

I'm pretty  sure that philippines will be ok  just like other country that are facing this challenge now. What i meant is that every country has to think also about economic situation which could be worst than the damage that the virus can lead to.

If no one can travel many economic sectors will suffer and many people will lose their job as it's already happening, aside of that there are many foreigners who doesn't travel just for fun but they have wife and son in philippines and they would like to be with them, which is my case.
I'm not sure 100% that stopping every activity for long time will give benefits to the people and that's valid for every country even those that are considered rich.

We have to learn to live with the virus around for a period because it won't go away right away and we can't live with the terror of the virus. We have to respect the virus and that's mean we have to use all the precautions and follow all the rules for limiting the spread  but we have to go back to normal life even if it won't be normal as before.

Developing world numbers will be lower due to climate hopefully.

Philippines numbers today: 106 new cases and 5 deaths

this is continuing a downward trend

When this is over economies will boom. There will need to be controls in place to prevent the booms from causing virus resurgence.

When this is over economies will boom. There will need to be controls in place to prevent the booms from causing virus resurgence.

I really don't see a boom in the Philippines. . . . .Nothing to jump start the economy. The economy would boom only if there is a flow of cash, I don't know where the cash will come from.

As the economy of the US goes, the world economies go. So far, before the virus Europe was/is entering a recession. Inflation will be bad if countries introduce "faux or funny money".

The Philippines can only offer cheap labor, too many restrictions on companies to invest in the Philippines. A few families control most of the Philippine economy and they will not lose their power.

The Philippines is moving to closer to China, China is not their savior, China is a scavenger.

Want Billions & Billions of USD not Pesos? Simple, sign a lease with the US to reconstruct Subic Bay & Clark Airbase using Filipino labor & materials with the total cost paid by the US. Sign a second lease for the US to occupy and maintain the bases.

China controls the whole China Sea. The Philippines have a claim on the Spratly Islands & Reef/Shoals. Only 150 miles off the coast, but how are going to get past the Chinese Navy or Pirates?

Such a big oil field & the Philippines will be bullied out by the might of China. US bases in the Philippines will be a game changer for the South China Sea.

For decades, the world “greatly benefited” from American leadership in such situations, Lee added. But if “America is in a different mode, well, we will get by and I think other configurations will eventually work out but it would be a loss”.

Like Australia, Singapore is one of Washington's most dependable strategic partners in Asia.

If Mr Lee's comments are not a shot across America's bow, I do not know what is!

Just saying!

Read more at

https://www.todayonline.com/commentary/ … 2020_today

I seriously don't believe economies will boom for quite some time.  There are a zillion businesses that were on the edge of failure before the lock downs.  Many will never recover and will just go out of business.  There have been so many people without work now that they will be in debt for a long time even if they do manage to work again soon.  Governments will be more broke then ever before.   So, businesses closing for good, consumers without money and in debt and governments without money does not lead to a booming economy.  Any immediate needs will be met by existing stocks.  For an economy to boom it must sell and people need to buy.  Supply is strong, demand is and will be weak.
Being from the US, I will take my $1200 and buy toilet paper and paper towels.

For sure the travel business will be very slow to recover and there will be casualties.  We had 5 cruises planned from 2/24/20 through 2021 all cancelled and being refunded.  Having airlines all over the world cancelling my flights, trying to give me future credits instead of a refund for services not rendered.  Many people like myself will not be putting ourselves in this position again.  Cruise Lines currently requiring a note from doctor for people 70 years old and over, a note my doctor could not sign, so I might have taken my last cruise.  We will be staying local and not buying anything extra.  If the economy booms it won't be my fault.

mugtech wrote:

Having airlines all over the world cancelling my flights, trying to give me future credits instead of a refund for services not rendered.

I would try to file objections with your credit card company, asking them to null & void the transactions for any airline who will not give you a full refund. The airline was the one who broke the contract with you.

A vaccine is the only thing that will open the travel and tourist trade back up, it is an 80 billion industry in the Philippines

Tourist trade is an 80 billion peso income a lot of hotels resorts will shut down until a vaccine is available

Tourist trade is an 80 billion peso income a lot of hotels resorts will shut down until a vaccine is available

manwonder wrote:

For decades, the world “greatly benefited” from American leadership in such situations, Lee added. But if “America is in a different mode, well, we will get by and I think other configurations will eventually work out but it would be a loss”.

Like Australia, Singapore is one of Washington's most dependable strategic partners in Asia.

If Mr Lee's comments are not a shot across America's bow, I do not know what is!

Just saying!

Read more at

https://www.todayonline.com/commentary/ … 2020_today

The way I see it. . . . . As if you're on an airplane that decompresses, it's important to put on your oxygen mask first, before helping others.

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Unwarranted statement
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Maybe it was our very own 'irresponsible and unreasonable' over reliance on China!
The coronavirus is a game changer that will require a rethink on global supply networks.
It should not only be about (max profit/cheapest labor source!)
"This is not protectionism, it's just our very own responsibility!"
Economically, this is not a minor slump. It is set to reshape the global economic landscape.

Apr8 is the last post I seen on here about the topic VISAS lol! Just wondering how long the lines will be when they start issuing again! Gonna get ugly I'm sure!

Not too sure about the future "long lines"...but you do have upto "30days" from the time this "lockdown" is officially lifted to get any further VISA extensions required!....

Best of luck!

http://immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2 … _Press.pdf

You still use toilet paper?

Okieboy wrote:

I don't know if the vaccine will be available in one year or most likely more than one year because there are technical time for having an efficient vaccine.

But if the travels will stop then it will be not just the tourist trade to suffer but other many sectors related with that and if other countries, that have a worse situation compare to philippines about the spread of the virus, take same decision until when the vaccine will be available,  i think there would be an economic collapse  aside of the many social problems because there are people who don't travel just for tourism but for other reasons.

Any government has to think how to let people to get back to a "new normal life" , it's another way for fighting the virus bec people depressed, jobless and starved can have more damage than what can lead the virus alone. As i said, we don't have to live with the terror of the virus but respect it.

anyone who thinks a vaccine is going to fix things is in for a rude awakening

A vaccine will not be as difficult as first thought it has not replicated as fast, if you look at the deaths by age and underlying medical conditions , it is more contagious but the death rate compaired to common flu  the Philippines had over 75,000 deaths from flu in the last 4 years