Philippines stops visa issuance as COVID-19 cases rise

The Philippines will suspend the issuance of visas, a move that will prohibit the entry of foreigners to the country to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), its top diplomat said Thursday.

"Starting today, all our embassies and consulates will temporarily suspend visa issuance to all foreign nationals, as well as visa-free entry privileges to all foreign nationals," Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. posted on his official Twitter account.

All previously issued Philippines visas to foreign nationals are deemed canceled while visas issued to foreign spouses and children of Filipino nationals remain valid, he said.

Halting visas on arrival for foreigners is up to the Bureau of Immigration (BI), Locsin said in a separate tweet.

“What I just signed is stopping the issuance of visas in all our foreign posts and here, and no visas upon arrival above all but that’s BI,” he wrote.

You can read the rest and others  [at] https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/19/20/ … cases-rise

https://www.rappler.com/nation/255215-e … oronavirus

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/2956 … exceptions

Thanks for those links Tim, much appreciated as I am not getting any answers from immi on FB nor are they answering the phone at our local BI office. I found this in one on the links:

"The DFA said the ban is based on Presidential Proclamation No. 922, dated March 8, 2020, declaring a "State of Public Health Emergency" throughout the Philippines; and Proclamation No. 929, dated March 16, 2020, declaring a "State of Calamity" throughout the Philippines due to the coronavirus disease.

Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr likewise gave assurances foreign tourists stranded in the Philippines will be "deemed to have their visas extended" and will not face penalties when departing the country."

Now I will breath a lot easier as I am still self isolating for another 8 days and after that will severely limit any local travel.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Tim,

Does every one read it this way:

If we already have a tourist visa and are in the Philippines, that the tourist Visa is now canceled?

“Moreover, all previously issued Philippine visas to foreign nationals are deemed canceled. Visas already issued to foreign spouses and children of Filipino nationals remain valid,” it continued.

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1245312/p … z6HBuB7f66
Follow us: [at]inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Not how I read it pej but then again at many times I read incorrectly but feel positive now after reading all of Tims links.
My take on cancelled visas is those applied for from PH. consulates in foreign countries that have been granted but the applicant granted the visa has not yet arrive on PH soil. Those also trying to land here after the said date and expect a tourist visa.

I also think that what Locsin said is very humanitarian, obviously considered us foreigners living here that do so on tourist visas.

" Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr likewise gave assurances foreign tourists stranded in the Philippines will be "deemed to have their visas extended" and will not face penalties when departing the country."

Only time will tell though pej. BTW OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl :

Not how I read it pej but then again at many times I read incorrectly but feel positive now after reading all of Tims links.
My take on cancelled visas is those applied for from PH. consulates in foreign countries that have been granted but the applicant granted the visa has not yet arrive on PH soil. Those also trying to land here after the said date and expect a tourist visa.

I also think that what Locsin said is very humanitarian, obviously considered us foreigners living here that do so on tourist visas.

" Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr likewise gave assurances foreign tourists stranded in the Philippines will be "deemed to have their visas extended" and will not face penalties when departing the country."

Only time will tell though pej. BTW OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve.

The BOI in Davao has said no visa renewed but no penalty when the lockdown is over

I’ve read several other things that I failed to get links for that that states if you’re here already, you’re good. If your visa expires during the shutdown, you will have 30 days to renew w/o penalties once the shutdown has been lifted.

Tim_L :

I’ve read several other things that I failed to get links for that that states if you’re here already, you’re good. If your visa expires during the shutdown, you will have 30 days to renew w/o penalties once the shutdown has been lifted.

Thanks Tim

Okieboy :

The BOI in Davao has said no visa renewed but no penalty when the lockdown is over

Hi Okie, Went to BOI in Cagayan de Oro   last Wednesday the 18th of March to renew my tourist visa for max. now of only 2 months. Payed my P2,830. No more fancy sticker for my Passport, just a piece of paper that says i am legal for 2 more months. Can't enter BOI office  without a mask, temp reading and soaked in alcohol. I have no idea what will happen 2 months from now when i attempt to renew again. Maybe they will not renew and ask that foreigners exit the country? Keep healthy.