13a visa vs. SRRV visa which is better?

I am married to a Phillipina in the USA before coming to the Philippines, I applied and recieved a 13a Permanent visa. I have live here in the Philippines (Davao City) 6 months now and found out about the SRRV visa and not sure if it is worth getting it. I have not found a side by side comparison of the 2 Visas.

I did send an application to be pre reviewed for the Classic SRRV visa and they said I have to downgrade the 13a permanent visa to a 9a tourist visa and submit other paperwork to include deposit of $10,000 US.

I already move our household goods from the USA and have a house here under my wife and myself.

We plan to travel 2 to 4 times a year as soon as the COVID-19 crisis is over.

I am just not sure if the SRRV visa is for me as I don't have a direct comparison between the two and what are the benefits one over the other.

Can someone help with the comparison of the 2 Visas with pros and cons of each? What would be your recommendation and why?

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Jeff A

Mike,

My understanding is there could be benefits to the SRRV visa like no taxes on retirement income and investments and not taxes when leaving or entering the Philippines and not having to go to immigration. Not sure if there are other benefits that would make me trade in my 13a visa for an SRRV visa. That is why I posted the question hoping someone has done it and why or have some side by side comparison so I can make an educated decision.

Thanks for the reply and question...still searching for a good comparison and info...

Thanks, Jeff A

Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum, welcome to the Philippines.

While I'm not married but partnered and live here, so far on a tourist/visitor visa but I will have to look at the SRRV eventually if these non re entry to the Philippines stay with us with visitor visas.
My opinion is that the 13a is the Rolls Royce of visas and If I could qualify I'd be first inline.
The SRRV is a little cheaper than the visitor visa annually but from what I've read the 13a is the cheapest. I have never seen side by side comparisons of the available visa types here on the immi site. Balakbayan is probably the cheapest if you are coming and going once a year but as you have the 13a I would stay with that. Do you want to lock up 10 or 20K US? A US $360.00 annual fee?
Coming and going 2 to 4 times a year there won't be any exit clearance fees and perhaps a 13a doesn't incur?
Income Tax? I'm sure your country has tax treaties like mine with the Philippines so like me no taxes here.

I hope others chime in with their opinions with wiser words than I can offer, anyway research and enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Bigpearl,

I appreciate the welcome. Thanks for your recommendation and additional info on the Visas. I am leaning toward keeping the 13a Visa.

I really appreciate your input.

Jeff A

An add on: For me Philhealth is PHP 17K per year, If I had an SRRV it's 15K per year, big deal, from what I have read you can be covered as a spouse under your wife's Philhealth contribution at I believe 3,600 pesos per year (used to be 2400 before the fraud, another story I'm sure you heard) on a 13a. Better half's contribution is 3.6K.
As senior citizens the better half tells me it's free. His mum and dad.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

In your case, I don't know how you can justify the costs that come with an SRRV visa. First, you have the $10,000 dollar deposit you would be required to make in a Philippine bank, (and only a select few banks are on the list of government-approved banks.) Second, there is a $1,400 application fee. You stated you already have a 13a visa so what is the advantage of applying for another MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE visa? Third, with the SRRV visa, you are charged a $300 renewal fee EVERY YEAR.

I see a LOT of unnecessary fees and government requirements. What I don't see is any BENEFITS to changing your visa and paying more and going through a never-ending mountain of government bureaucracy-required paperwork.

Thanks Carl and Bigpearl, all valid points!

Thanks again for your input, Jeff A

My wife has a friend who helps people in Angeles City apply for visas. I was going to go with the SRRV visa, Extended Courtesy version. Because I spent 23 years in the US military I would still have to pay the $1,400 application fee, BUT instead of a $10,000 bank deposit, I would only need to deposit $1,500 in a Philippine bank account. That comes to $2,900 just for my visa.

My wife was born in the Philippines but after living in the US for seven years she became an American Citizen. So she has decided to apply for Dual citizenship and I will apply for the 13a visa at the same time. The total cost for both the dual citizenship and 13a visa combined is $1,100. We still get all of the benefits of living in the Philippines for LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE!

Thanks, looks like I need to stick with the 13a Visa. Thanks for the info.

Jeff A

The biggest advantage of an SRRV for me is being able to go in and out of the Philippines  without restriction or additional cost in the form of travel tax. This was an absolute necessity for my business. COVID has negated that advantage.

the 1400$ is one time fee !

What happens to the 10 k? Does it make money. Can I get it back if I get sick? Suppose I decide I want to cancel it can I get it back?

aalottjr wrote:

What happens to the 10 k? Does it make money. Can I get it back if I get sick? Suppose I decide I want to cancel it can I get it back?

Yes, The deposit earns interest but it is a trivial amount and does not keep pace with inflation.
And, yes, you can get the deposit back if you leave the SRRV scheme. I would expect its as easy as pulling hens' teeth to get the money back.  ;)

Steve

Yes you can.

Cancellation_of_Membership_from_SRRV_Program_and_Downgrading_of_Visa.pdf

So your saying that after my Filipino wife gains dual citizenship, she will be eligible for philHealth and that I can be covered under her policy?
Thanks in advance

geinopolos wrote:

So your saying that after my Filipino wife gains dual citizenship, she will be eligible for philHealth and that I can be covered under her policy?
Thanks in advance

Not sure of your status or plans and I offered an observation only regarding Filipino nationals and spouse cover with Philhealth.

A quick search reveals the following:   

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/s … ndent.html

Google and see what suits your situation. good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Thank you Steve

Please remember that PhilHealth only covers about 10% of a foreigner's hospital bill. It helps, but do not rely upon it to cover expensive, emergency, medical expenses.

Glen Adkins wrote:

Please remember that PhilHealth only covers about 10% of a foreigner's hospital bill. It helps, but do not rely upon it to cover expensive, emergency, medical expenses.

There are big differentces much depending of WHICH illness, some they pay big part of as e g dengue and tb.

We plan to travel 2 to 4 times a year as soon as the COVID-19 crisis is over.

This is not going to happen any time soon. Think 2030...!!!!

MikeBrandt: Yes, the $1400 is a one time application/processing fee. A couple of other advantages of the SRRV is that you never have to go to immigration and you never have to leave the country.

The best visa was the former military, if it is still available, you only had to have served in the military, there was a $1500 deposit $1400 processing fee and a yearly fee of $10,

I think it is still available. Check the PRA website. I have a friend that applied for it last year. Unfortunately for him, he applied shortly before the virus hit us so it was delayed. I think they recently continued processing for him.

Okieboy,

Yes, the Miltary version of the SRRV is still available. I was considering it, now I'm leaning toward the 13a visa.

Dear Oakie, yes i have the extended srrv as well.  The annual fee is 500 php.  The main differences of the srrv is it is your visa not someone elses.  God forbid if you have a 13a visa and your marriage ends you will lose the visa and have to leave the Philippines.  Regardless of any thing else.  rainrider9

Rainrider9 wrote:

Dear Oakie, yes i have the extended srrv as well.  The annual fee is 500 php.  The main differences of the srrv is it is your visa not someone elses.  God forbid if you have a 13a visa and your marriage ends you will lose the visa and have to leave the Philippines. Regardless of any thing else.  rainrider9

I doubt that is true. I suppouse the foreigner would get time to get some other solution,. And hard to get a marriage to end any fast in Phils even if want to   :)

Coach53,  i have read about that prior.  Man had a 13a visa lost everything, house he built, marriage the whole shebang.  Went home penniless.  Never would want to be in that position nor would want anyone else to either.  There is an extended visa for vets that requires only #1500. In a cd  at BDO bank in makati.  Annual renewal fee is only 500 pesos.that is much easier than putting up $15,000 or more.  As long as you renew it, stays in force.

Rainrider9 wrote:

Coach53,  i have read about that prior.  Man had a 13a visa lost everything, house he built, marriage the whole shebang.  Went home penniless.  Never would want to be in that position nor would want anyone else to either.  There is an extended visa for vets that requires only #1500. In a cd  at BDO bank in makati.  Annual renewal fee is only 500 pesos.that is much easier than putting up $15,000 or more.  As long as you renew it, stays in force.

I have met more than one expat in similar situations in my time here.

It is hard to argue with your logic.  If I was in marriage where the stability was in question, I could understand the preference for the SRRV.  Fortunately, I am not!

Yes, so happy that you have a good stable marriage.  It is a wonderful thing.  Congratulations.

Rainrider9 wrote:

Yes, so happy that you have a good stable marriage.  It is a wonderful thing.  Congratulations.

Thanks very much kind person!

It is truly a blessing and the product of 20 years of hard work by both us.

Rainrider9 wrote:

Coach53,  i have read about that prior.  Man had a 13a visa lost everything, house he built, marriage the whole shebang.  Went home penniless. .

I dont believe it still.  How would it even be posible to be FORCED out ONLY by a marriage ends, not geting a chance to get other solution to stay?

Concerning losing the house I guess he hadnt chosed a good solution.

I agree.  I thought the same after I read this response.

smith041480 wrote:

I agree.  I thought the same after I read this response.

Oh I it was a reporter, not a disapointed foreiner who aid it.

Media write so much wrong
/on purpouse the make moredrama thn it was
/or by incompetense writing facts wrong WITHOUT geting any untrue drama. .

Solution:
((It was the later when sportcompetitions were told aboutt in te refion newspaper.  It was back when I had started leading a low löevel sport club recently and I aimed at makin it an elite club, - although no one else believed it was possiböle   :)   -   by growing the youth section much to make starplayers by ourself. I saw newspapers and local radio as free PR  to attract more youth to start playing, so  to get it told as I wanted, I started writing the news articles myself and send them to the region newspaper.  They found it so good so they asigned ,me to write ALL in te region about that sports. So I got the free PR I waned    haha
It ws a "sleepy" sportclub when I started leading it, the members didnt even want to strt rowing te youth section although they had only 8 youth players!  because  they found it risk the club could lose money - although it had almpost none to lose   :lol:    and government SUPPORT clubs based on amount of youth members and youth activities.  Finaly they argreed when I fguaranteed the club wouldnt lose money and I did lend the club for free missing money until the support from governmenmt arriveafter each year.  ((The "imposiböe" happened. It became an elite club, second best in the nation before I moved.))

Coach evidently when the marriage breaks up the visa is cancelled.  The basis of the 13a is a marriage.  Check with any attorney in the philippines.  You will find out the truth.

Rainrider9 wrote:

Coach evidently when the marriage breaks up the visa is cancelled.  The basis of the 13a is a marriage. Check with any attorney in the philippines.  You will find out the truth.

SO WHAT ?   
1.  Marriage (amost) never end fast Except if wife die suddenly and then the foreigner INHERIT and then get time to solve things.
2. Just get a "touristt visa" (and then an other lon time VISA if want to.)

Rainrider9 wrote:

Coach evidently when the marriage breaks up the visa is cancelled.  The basis of the 13a is a marriage.  Check with any attorney in the philippines.  You will find out the truth.

You are correct in law,,,,,, but the theory doesn't work so simply, firstly from my understanding the wife has to cancel the 13a if you split up, can this be accomplished before an annulment or divorce takes place? Others can answer that one, this takes time if she would even bother.

You come home from the golf club for dinner and your wife tells you "oh honey by the way I cancelled your 13a visa and you have to leave tomorrow, bye" and if you were too stupid to see that one coming you deserve it.

Coach is correct, there will be plenty of time to secure an alternative visa type.
As for losing everything? Stupid is as stupid does. Make your bed etc.

Let's all hope that no one here loses their 13a or the clothes off their back. there are always solutions and then some.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

"Media write so much wrong
/or by incompetense writing facts wrong WITHOUT geting any untrue drama. ."

Off topic but cannot resist:

I suppose Coach  the above does not apply to the UK channel 5 television programme we discussed on another thread a couple weeks back about nightmare tenants and landlords?  :proud

Yes...I say keep rowing & if everything else fails you may need the services of the reliable Shantui Sd22 & then apply for another visa (tourist or srrv)

:whistle:

Lotus Eater wrote:

"Media write so much wrong
/or by incompetense writing facts wrong WITHOUT geting any untrue drama. ."

Off topic but cannot resist:

I suppose Coach  the above does not apply to the UK channel 5 television programme we discussed on another thread a couple weeks back about nightmare tenants and landlords?  :proud

What??   
Do you claim there isnt a problem with tennants, who dont pay?

I had one myself (Rent-to-own buyer) who made both me and him lose by he didnt fullfil the contract, which would have been very good for him if he would have fullfiled it, but instead he screwed up so  it became a dept, which he coudnt pay me.

Philhealth will pay a good amount on some things others not so much my son cut his foot had to have it stiched up and shots the bill a little over 5000 peso philhealth paid 4100peso