Thinking about moving to Malta and have a few questions?

Hello,

We are looking into the possibility of moving to Malta with our 2 small children. Our 3 1/2 year old will be starting Montessori this year and I was wondering how much it costs in Malta?

Also would you recommend bringing over a big jeep or buying a car when you get there? We've owned it for 1 1/2 years and its 6 years old.

What are the hidden household costs that need to be considered? i.e. bin charges, water charges etc

Are living costs cheaper than in Ireland? Would you recommend a house with a pool or are the maintenance costs too high?

Can you get similar health cover to VHI and how much does it cost?

I really appreciate any help you can pass on and thank you in advance.

Not sure of the costs of Montessori schools but here's a list of local nurseries and kindgartens: kidsmalta.com/lists/view/nurseries

Re: pools.  Maintenance isn't too costly.  I know there's  a guy who goes around cleaning people's pools and charges a small fee of like 7 Euros (he goes once a week). 

There aren't really any hidden household costs to consider.  Once you get here, make sure you register all your family as residents in the house where you are staying - this will reduce your water and electricity bill.  Also, there's no central heating in Malta.  Most people use gas heaters.  A gas cylinder will last about a week in cold weather.

Hope this has helped!

you have to of been the registered owner of a car for 2 years , we know this as have been looking into it ,we re hopefully there from october ,just sold out home in uk .

there is currently no charges for water (i.e rates) as the water is metered...and there is no council tax here either - bins are emptied between 4and 6 times per week.......depending on where you live.

If you live in an apartment there will communal area costs ..for lighting and cleaning of stairways and maybe even lift charges for electricity consumption and servicing.

depending on usage gas bottles during winter - usually 12-15 bottles at 16.60 euros a bottle - best to keep a spare or two - deposits on these are 25euros per bottle then a regulator at 10 euros.

dont know if its cheaper than ireland but its definitley cheaper than the UK by about 20-30%...water elec and gas are def cheaper.

free healthcare (same as maltese get) if you pay tax and NI here - other wise private healthcare is available from various insurers (sana healthcare via gasanmamo) is about 20-25 euros per month per person.

nmost flats dont have gardens.....the ground floor ones that is...some maisonettes do have them. Gardens tend to be a luxury for those who can afford a villa or house.

as for the car see the other threads here on the forum - but in simple terms it is cheaper to bring the car with you if you have owned it (and can prove it) for more than 2 yrs other wise registration tax may hammer you. Still many people do this as its better the car you know than the very expensive one bought here that you dont. e.g i bought my 2001 fiat brava here 5800 euros but my son had the exact same car in the UK £500

have a look at the free valuation system on the maltese ADT website - that will give you a good idea of how much tax you will pay

http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … t/Car.aspx

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. If Malta is that much cheaper than the UK, it will beat Ireland hands down.

The jeep is going to be the tricky one! Haven't owned it 2 years, but after being in Malta six months, I might have owned it 2 years. A lot of if's and maybe's!!!

I've also sent a message to one of the montessori's to see about costs.

Seeing how many nice people are on this site, sells Malta to me even more ;)

thats the good thing here most of the guys and gals have been there and done it, made their mistakes and love to help ensure others dont make the same mistakes and they are very very helpful indeed.

most 4x4 and jeeps are very expensive to buy and run here.....fuel is on average about 1.40 euro per litre.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and there is no council tax here either - bins are emptied between 4and 6 times per week.......depending on where you live.

I passed by a shop about a month ago and I happened to spot the front page of one of the British papers, it was about the outrage being caused because the bins were only being collected every 2 weeks in the UK now. EVERY 2 WEEKS!! And you have to pay hundreds if not thousands of pounds of council tax every year for the privilege.

As toonarmy9752 says, there is no council tax down here and I get my rubbish collected from outside my house every day except Sunday.

Crap country Malta, init. :D

Hi Blaze,

Just a few words on not making mistakes here in Malta:

Don't buy property , just rent. I know many Expats regretting buying and not being able to get out of it any more. And prices are only set to go down anyway.

The six months here in Malta won't count re your owning the car for two years unless you are here as tourists for 6 months and go back to the UK again. That means no ID card and no residency until you register the car. The Maltese authorities are very strict there.

Regards
Ricky

true.....

ricky wrote:

unless you are here as tourists for 6 months

you can only be a tourist for 3 months at a time - from dept website

"Registration certificates, Residence cards

A registration certificate is a document issued to an EU national that confirms that person's right of residence under European law and in terms of the above-mentioned 2007 Order. Residence cards are issued to family members of an EU national who are third country nationals. The card confirms such persons' right of residence in Malta. It is mandatory for EU nationals and their family members to be in possession of the said documents if their residence in Malta is for a period exceeding three months. They are required to fill in application Form CEA/21 and to present it personally to the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs together with the required documents."

Thank you all again for great advise.

We have no intention of buying property, one house in negative equity is more then enough! As we would hope to rent our own house out in Ireland, we'll be looking to rent in Malta.

As for the jeep.......Mmmmmm, I'll need to look into it a bit more.

to be honest people do buy here - all personal choice but many rent here too as its a more flexible choice and allows you to move easily if your initial choice turns out not to be the right one for you as often you find things out after you have moved in...and not before it. Th issues might be locations, noise , neighbours or even the services/facilities and landlord are not what you thought they would be....always best initially to be careful before settling.....we moved three times while here and have finally found what we were looking for after 12 months and love where we are now We have been in this apartment now for 20 months and have no wish to move elsewhere....for now anyway!!! LOL

good luck guys - hope you enjoy your new life in Malta am sure you will

Malta has a lot of ups and downs, like anyplace dont buy till you know you want to stay, because property is VERY hard to sell.

Chad

Regarding utilities, see the links below, they should help.  Also, if you are renting and the utilities are in the landlords name, he/she will have to be the one to submit the form.  You cannot register for this unless you have your ID card.

Information regarding registered persons for utilities

Form to register occupants for utilities

Regarding bringing your car.  If you do bring it and apply for 'exemption' from import tax, you have to be able to provide documentation that proves you have not been resident in Malta for at least 24 months prior to application. 
eg.  Proof of purchase of vehicle, purchase receipt etc (to qualify for exemption you must have owned the car for minimum 2 years).
Proof that you have not been resident in Malta for 24 months prior to application, eg, bank statements, wage and tax slips, or similar.

Its swings and roundabouts, in order for your car to qualify you cannot get your ID card until you have owned the vehicle for 2 years, but then you will not be able to register for utilities.

Lots of hoops to jump through but to be honest, its no different to anywhere else, red tape is red tape, no matter what country you are in.

Good luck.
:)

Hello. We think to move to Malta or Valetta and we want to rent an apartment with two bedrooms. It is much convenient to rent an apartment here or in a city close for a smaller rent. And if you can help me with some prices.
Thanks!

Hello Lacra!

You are a bit :offtopic:!

You should post an advert in the Malta classifieds > accommodation section/houses for rent.;)

Thank you,
Harmonie.

Hi Lacra,

are you sure you researched Malta enough for you potential move here ? Malta is a very small island. It does not make a big difference where you live on the island.

The job situation is very bad. It will be difficult to find decently paid jobs. For example , the new bus company pays around 3,50 € /hour for a bus driver. Compare that to the cost of living and you will know what you are in for.

Being from Romania you are free to move anywhere within the EU. What makes you want to move to Malta?

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Lacra,

It does not make a big difference where you live on the island.

Ricky

Hi Ricky, I tend to disagree with that - if you are commuting or have other regular appointments (school, Mater Dei etc) I think it does matter where you live. But I agree with your general point that perhaps more research needs to be done before someone considers Malta seriously.

I know 2 Romanians that moved here - a co-worker of mine and his sister. My co-worker stayed a year a moved on to Germany as he found Malta simply too small, but his sister has stayed here. So, even amongst family members you will get different attitudes.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I was just wondering about the question about moving to Malta or Valletta and the city here or close -)))

I think you have to have been to Malta for a visit before even considering moving to Malta. Of course it will always be a difficult decision moving to a new country with many unknowns.

Did your co-worker find his job after he moved to Malta or did he have the job offer before he/she came ?

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Did your co-worker find his job after he moved to Malta or did he have the job offer before he/she came ?

Cheers
Ricky

He had a job offer first and came here for the job. I agree with your general points. To be fair too, he was bored by his job here so that probably played into the decision too.

Tim

how is it over the months of July August?

Is it like living in Ibiza?? )))) but having your kids with you???

ricky wrote:

The job situation is very bad. It will be difficult to find decently paid jobs. For example , the new bus company pays around 3,50 € /hour for a bus driver. Compare that to the cost of living and you will know what you are in for.

Hi Ricky,

This reminds me of a question I keep thinking of.  How does the bus company get away with paying 3.50 per hour when the minimum wage for Malta is over 4 euro?

This has been really bugging me!!

Jules.x

Hi,

from another news article it seems that the bus drivers are earning between 4,30 and 4,50 €/hour depending on how many hours they work. I think the higher number is for a 54 hour working week.

These figures are probably before tax and NI. So maybe the 3,50 I read about previously are referring to net income. Whichever way the salary is low but is an average Maltese income and probably a safe job too !

Cheers
Ricky