Vietnam suspends a few nationalities from VISA application

The Vietnam Government will deny to issue visa for ALL NATIONALITIES from Mar/15 to Apr/15/2020 (even if they already had the Approval Letter)
Please delay or cancel your trip and wait until having the update information from the Vietnam Gorvenment.

if you have visa already and staying Vietnam, you can extend visa.

I think that is very good decision, what do you think?

Do you have a VN government link/source for this information?

zeubie wrote:

Do you have a VN government link/source for this information?

It will be probably public very soon. I have it from a friend who is a lawyer and then I confirmd that with a major visa agency, so , it is absolutely valid or, it is a FUD that is spread even to the agencies? :)

Dan911 wrote:

It will be probably public very soon. I have it from a friend who is a lawyer and then I confirmd that with a major visa agency, so , it is absolutely valid or, it is a FUD that is spread even to the agencies? :)

That sucks.  I was supposed to fly to Da Nang on Monday 16/03/2020 and use my VOA letter.

You are outside the country now?

Other countries are doing it as well, today also Czech Republic closed its borders....

Dan911 wrote:

Yes, I am in Malaysia.  My backup plan  if Vietnam closed it borders was to go to Czech as I have family there.  I guess that is not happening now.

zeubie wrote:
Dan911 wrote:

Yes, I am in Malaysia.  My backup plan  if Vietnam closed it borders was to go to Czech as I have family there.  I guess that is not happening now.

Yea, Czech is closed as well. I can just assume that most countries will follow.

I don't if I can post a link here (sorry if I cannot), but I just found this on a visa agent's website:  (note to mods - I have no affiliation with these people)

vietnamvisapro.net/en/news/new-policy-of-vietnam-immigration-dept-about-visa-to-vietnam-from-march-15th-2020-regarding-global-pandemic-covid-19-was-caused-by-coronavirus-5873.html

So if other countries stop accepting people and people from certain countries are in vietnam with a visa that needs to be extended, what are they going to do?

They cant get an extension and they cant go back to their home country.

Man, I'm lucky I didn't wait another week (end).  My visa was up on 3/19 and I had a VEC in my passport but it hadn't been stamped in yet. Glad I went last week.

this is from the Vietnam Embassy in London:

http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php? … ct=Notice1

colinoscapee wrote:

So if other countries stop accepting people and people from certain countries are in vietnam with a visa that needs to be extended, what are they going to do?

You still can extend visas here in vietnam when you are already here.

They just do not accept newcomers

zeubie wrote:

this is from the Vietnam Embassy in London:

http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php? … ct=Notice1

UK was banned already before :)

Dan911 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Some articles have reported the opposite. If you have extended your visa to its maximum amount of extensions, you have to leave, but wont be allowed to return and have to wait till the govt reopens the borders. Whether this happens, who knows.

colinoscapee wrote:
Dan911 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Some articles have reported the opposite. If you have extended your visa to its maximum amount of extensions, you have to leave, but wont be allowed to return and have to wait till the govt reopens the borders. Whether this happens, who knows.

oh, that is possible. I am on first 3 months.

But, I also think that this could be reasoned here. Money always helps and with some effort, they might understand you dont want to go to a country full of corona.

Especially now, when no tourist will be here, they might welcome any kind of “extra” income. But that is just a thought.

One thing.. NO THEY DID NOT!  They did cancel all visa letters, but embassies still still grand visas.

Wald0 wrote:

One thing.. NO THEY DID NOT!  They did cancel all visa letters, but embassies still still grand visas.

Even if that is a true, noone is coming here on embassy visas.

zeubie wrote:

I don't if I can post a link here (sorry if I cannot), but I just found this on a visa agent's website:  (note to mods - I have no affiliation with these people)

vietnamvisapro.net/en/news/new-policy-of-vietnam-immigration-dept-about-visa-to-vietnam-from-march-15th-2020-regarding-global-pandemic-covid-19-was-caused-by-coronavirus-5873.html

Advise caution when dealing with that mob.   They have a history of selling “dodgy” business visas.   They use an inactive shell company as a sponsor.

Dear god, just renewed mine yesterday, lucky bastard I am

Dan911 wrote:

The Vietnam Government will deny to issue visa for ALL NATIONALITIES from Mar/15 to Apr/15/2020 (even if they already had the Approval Letter)
Please delay or cancel your trip and wait until having the update information from the Vietnam Gorvenment.

if you have visa already and staying Vietnam, you can extend visa.

Wald0 wrote:

Dan911 wrote:

Even if that is a true, noone is coming here on embassy visas.

This is the worst kind of irresponsible post at this time.

You started it based on a rumor without all the facts.

Now you compound the problem by making false statements such as that.

Many people come here every day on visas issued by embassies around the world.

You've also said that all current visas in country can be extended, but you have no idea if that's true.

The best anyone--including a visa agent--can say is that perhaps people can APPLY to have visas extended AND a decision will always be made by Immigration (NOT by a visa agent) on a case-by-case basis, based on many factors.

I've reported this thread and asked ADMIN to kill it.

Yeah, I do that.

Guys, so far this info is not valid : I close this thread for now. If the situation changes, let me know and I will reopen the thread.

Thanks

From what I've heard it looks like the situation is evolving .. have you got any update?

Julien wrote:

From what I've heard it looks like the situation is evolving .. have you got any update?

Visa applications and approvals are still possible when done through an Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam.

Visa on Arrival approval letters are no longer being issued for the time being, and previously approved letters are no longer being honored at land and air points of entry until further notice.

Visa extensions for valid visa holders currently within the borders of Vietnam are still possible on a case by case basis.

Visa's are available through Vietnam Embassies only.
In my personal case, I received an email from my agent saying that the VOA I had just received from them was no longer valid and they offered to hold all details until I was able to return. I nominated for the full return they offered.

I submitted an application through the Vietnam Embassy in Canberra, Australia last Sunday (15 Mar) and paid the application fee.

Monday first thing I rang the Embassy checking that they had everything needed. I had to email a copy of the visa fee payment.

Tuesday (17 Mar) I have received confirmation that my visa has been approved and that the loose leaf visa has been dispatched.

As for extensions ... well I can't help you there.

Julien wrote:

Thanks for the thread title change, Julien.

Because we are multinational expats in Vietnam may I suggest:

"Vietnam Suspends ALL Nationalities from Visa on Arrival Approval"

?

Thanks for your consideration in helping clear up any confusion.

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … 53501.html

Interesting statement in this article.  Bold is mine.

Vietnam now bans arrivals from the Schengen Area and UK and suspends its visa-on-arrival policy for all foreigners.

The new policy will be in effect for 30 days from 12:00 pm Sunday, March 15, and will not affect arrivals for diplomatic or official purposes.

Vietnam will consider stop issuing tourist visas to visitors from the U.S. on a state-by-state basis, depending on the development of the epidemic in that country, its prime minister said.

I just received this email from the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi.

It appears that now, new visas of all kinds are not being issued
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Health and Travel Alert – U.S. Embassy Hanoi and U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (March 17, 2020)

Event:  There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19).  The Government of Vietnam has implemented enhanced screening to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

The U.S. Embassy in Hanoi and the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City have received information that the Vietnamese government is likely to take the following steps imminently:

•        Require all travelers entering Vietnam with visas to undergo a health check and mandatory 14-day quarantine.  This will apply to, among others, all U.S. citizen travelers and persons born in Vietnam but holding passports from other countries.  This policy is likely to be put in place within the next day.

•         Cease visa issuance worldwide, as of today, March 17, 2020.

•         Make all ASEAN travelers subject to a health check and mandatory 14-day quarantine effective within the next day.

•           The situation remains fluid and government of Vietnam requirements may change with little to no notice.

Visit the local government COVID-19 website (in Vietnamese): https://ncov.moh.gov.vn/ for updated information.

No more visa issuing for 30days..... starting on 18th march

http://news.gov.vn/Home/BREAKING-VN-hal … /39226.vgp

i have a one year multi entry visa since  i am from the usa. I have been living in vn for 3 months now and i have to do a visa run and i am scared to do it because i am not sure they will let me back in since i am from usa and cases are rising there. but it makes no sense because i left to usa before the outbreak happened. i have been isolating here and don't have the virus and feel fine. I spent a lot of money on food and supplies and right now they are saying if i cross the boarder for my visa run i will have to have a 14 day quaraintine. where? in a facility? my apt in hcmc? They are now denying entry into vn if you are from certain countries, but it should be only if you have been there recently.

they should just extend visas for us instead of making us cross the boarder. i have an apt here and a lease and all my stuff is here. i don't know what i would do in cambodia if i couldn't get back in vietnam.

what would happen if i didn't leave the country as i am supposed to do? will they make concessions during this pandemic. it makes no sense to go back to america since i have sublet my apt and i have no where to live. I could rent an apt but that would be risky right now if even allowed and then how would i know the building doesn't share pipes? the virus travels through pipes....plus i wouldn't be able to get supplies in the usa since everything is sold out. it makes more sense to stay put, i think....

anyone else worried or wondering what to do?

well, I'd say there's a high risk that you'd be blacklisted for overstay...
Vietnam loves $$$, but now they seems to be more interested in the covid... :unsure

What's about if you are currenlty have 5 years VISA... Can you still enter Vietnam?

A few days ago I contacted an agency  and they have stated that a 3 month in country extension can be done without leaving. Price is higher than normal

AlexFromBelgium wrote:

Vietnam loves $$$, but now they seems to be more interested in the covid... :unsure

I doubt very much you would be blacklisted for overstay as I know several people that have over the years here and there is a table available for overstay fees up to 1 year somewhere that I once remember reading on a Gov site.

Fancybear wrote:

A few days ago

Few days ago, there was no formal obligation to not issue visa anymore............

Maybe you're right Indices... We will know more in the next coming days...
Somebody should call the immigration for a formal answer. For now it's a mess :unsure

By the way, they did update/modify the new on their website:
<<<
Foreigners enjoying visa-waiver program or overseas Vietnamese and their spouses and children having been granted with certificate of visa exemption shall only be allowed to enter Viet Nam if they can submit papers certifying they are not positive for the virus.

The aforesaid measure shall also be applied to foreigners who are experts, business managers, highly skilled workers upon arrival to Viet Nam.

All the above measures shall NOT be applicable to entrants for diplomatic or official purposes.

All entrants shall be medically checked and have to comply with the nation's COVID-19 prevention and control measures.
>>>

Thanks for clarifying the visa waiver question for me alex. There's a lot fo hearsay and opinions on facebook groups. Most of them on there are running around on tourist visas.

What link are you referring too?

Indices wrote:
AlexFromBelgium wrote:

I doubt very much you would be blacklisted for overstay as I know several people that have over the years here and there is a table available for overstay fees up to 1 year somewhere that I once remember reading on a Gov site.

You may want to check this forum for threads about blacklisting people. Its a great little money earner at around 4000 usd to get the ban lifted.

This is just one thread about it.

Blacklist

The edit function sucks on this site.

Nevermind, I didn't see your first link when viewing on a phone.

That's great that VEC holders can still get in if you're willing to do the 14 day quarantine, which I'm not.

exstam1 wrote:

i have a one year multi entry visa since  i am from the usa. I have been living in vn for 3 months now and i have to do a visa run and i am scared to do it because i am not sure they will let me back in since i am from usa and cases are rising there. but it makes no sense because i left to usa before the outbreak happened. i have been isolating here and don't have the virus and feel fine. I spent a lot of money on food and supplies and right now they are saying if i cross the boarder for my visa run i will have to have a 14 day quaraintine. where? in a facility? my apt in hcmc? They are now denying entry into vn if you are from certain countries, but it should be only if you have been there recently.

they should just extend visas for us instead of making us cross the boarder. i have an apt here and a lease and all my stuff is here. i don't know what i would do in cambodia if i couldn't get back in vietnam.

what would happen if i didn't leave the country as i am supposed to do? will they make concessions during this pandemic. it makes no sense to go back to america since i have sublet my apt and i have no where to live. I could rent an apt but that would be risky right now if even allowed and then how would i know the building doesn't share pipes? the virus travels through pipes....plus i wouldn't be able to get supplies in the usa since everything is sold out. it makes more sense to stay put, i think....

anyone else worried or wondering what to do?

I'm in a similar position, but from the UK. Doubtful at this point that my scheduled flight back in 6 weeks time will even be running. Hell, by that point it might be a struggle to even get to HCM from ehere I am to try to catch it.

Got zero fear of the virus personally, but, among other reasons for not wanting to fly back now before I get "stuck" here, I think I'm less likely to starve in Vietnam than in England.  :D

Hoping the VN gov will have some sort of visa amnesty or in-country extension option for foreigners like us. Doubtless at $ cost, of course...

Closed