Medication in China

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like China with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in China?

Would you have said that in China drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

This is an interesting topic and especially now.  Medications in China have improved since I first arrived in 2007.  Today you can find most drugs here and some are even name brand and from outside of China and not "knock-off" versions.

However all that aside here is the advice we give to our new arrivals before they come here.

1. Any prescription medications you need you must bring those from home just to be sure you have them.  Bring at least a 6 month supply (1 year is better).

2. Get the generic name of your drug and check to see if the generic is okay for you to take in place of the name brand.  Sometimes it's easier to find the generic.

3. If you can get it here buy the version that is made by the named pharmaceutical company.  For example; Azythromyacin (Z-pak) can be found here and OTC at that, but it's best to spend a little more and buy the Pfizer brand from Germany.  Cost to buy the German brand, about $10, cost for the Chinese knock-off, about $4.  Difference; one will work and one won't.

4. Some medications can't be bought in China, so it's best to check before you come.  One example that comes to mind are some anti-depression medications.  Another example is a Parkinson's med Amantadine, (which can be used for flu), even with a prescription it's hard to get.  Not sure why.

I have also found that drugs that can't be obtained here in mainland China are often obtainable in Hong Kong.  You can get them shipped to you.  In fact drugs can be shipped from "home" to you.  Unless it's a banned medication there usually isn't a problem.

Overall I have found pharmacies here to be well stocked and they usually have what I need.  I speak very little Chinese but I can get someone to write the Chinese name and it's pretty easy, also many of the drugs have some English on the box. 

Chinese medicine is also a good choice for some things.  For simple colds and flu I have my go-to Chinese drugs.  You can also get Tylenol (yes, the brand) cold and flu stuff or my favorite choice are the ones the locals call "black and white" you take one for the evening and one for the day.  They work well.

I personally dislike taking drugs, so I try to use homeopathic options.  I will get a massage to help when I am feeling a cold coming on.  They do a thing called "scraping" which brings the toxins to the surface and for me it works.  I usually won't get a full blown cold if I catch it early.  I like that and do recommend it.  I am not a fan of "cupping" but I do have friends that swear by it.  This is a procedure where they place glass cups on you to pull the toxins to the surface.  Sometimes they use alcohol and fire...let's just say not something I would do.

Over all I have found Chinese pharmacies to be good.  If you have the ability to speak Chinese they are very helpful, if not they will try. 

One downside, I find that often I can't find vitamin or other non-drug items that are more "alternative health" friendly.  I take Taurine and L-lysine to help with eye floaters, but both are not easily available.  However, they can be purchased on-line through Taobao.  That is another option for finding medications.  However be careful and know your supplier.

The best advice, wash your hands often, try not to put your hands on your face (not easy), wear a mask if you are going into crowds or around people you know are sick.  Get rest, eat a well balanced diet, and basically take care of yourself.  If you are feeling sick, stay home and take care of it, don't be a work hero, no one needs your germs. 

Hope this helps.