Medical facilities/solutions in Zhuhai

hi,

Can you help my friend please with this question?

I have a 4 month old daughter and a 2 year old son and my priority is to ensure we will have the proper healthcare. I have spoken to a doctor at SOS International, my paediatrician, a nurse at a travel clinic and of course did research on the web. I have two areas of concern.

1) Vaccination: My daughter is 4 months old and cannot take the recommended vaccinations for China (typhoid, Hepatitis A and B). We have been told by all parties we contacted that these are very real health hazards. My son is at an age where he can be vaccinated and therefore is not the concern. I am trying to understand the risks to my daughter health in the case where she is unvaccinated for most of our stay in China, the precautions that need to be taken to prevent the disease and the treatments required in the case where she does contract these diseases. We are still not comfortable with this point and need to continue our research until my wife and I feel comfortable that the level of risk to our daughter's health is acceptable.

2) Access to Good Healthcare. Kids will get sick whether in Canada or China and we need to have quick access to good doctors. I have researched and there are no international clinics or hospitals in Zhuhai. I have called SOS international to get informed and they confirmed that there are only Chinese standard hospitals in Zhuhai; it was made very clear that these are not recommended as they fall very short from Western standards. The closest SOS international clinics are in Shenzhen located 2 hours away by car, or Hong Kong located an hour away by boat. I am still trying to work out this issue and hopefully I can put my head around this and get to a workable solution.

Is it possible to provide information regarding health care options for a family living in Zuhai with young children?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Colin

Manlin wrote:

hi,

Can you help my friend please with this question?

I have a 4 month old daughter and a 2 year old son and my priority is to ensure we will have the proper healthcare. I have spoken to a doctor at SOS International, my paediatrician, a nurse at a travel clinic and of course did research on the web. I have two areas of concern.

1) Vaccination: My daughter is 4 months old and cannot take the recommended vaccinations for China (typhoid, Hepatitis A and B). We have been told by all parties we contacted that these are very real health hazards. My son is at an age where he can be vaccinated and therefore is not the concern. I am trying to understand the risks to my daughter health in the case where she is unvaccinated for most of our stay in China, the precautions that need to be taken to prevent the disease and the treatments required in the case where she does contract these diseases. We are still not comfortable with this point and need to continue our research until my wife and I feel comfortable that the level of risk to our daughter's health is acceptable.

2) Access to Good Healthcare. Kids will get sick whether in Canada or China and we need to have quick access to good doctors. I have researched and there are no international clinics or hospitals in Zhuhai. I have called SOS international to get informed and they confirmed that there are only Chinese standard hospitals in Zhuhai; it was made very clear that these are not recommended as they fall very short from Western standards. The closest SOS international clinics are in Shenzhen located 2 hours away by car, or Hong Kong located an hour away by boat. I am still trying to work out this issue and hopefully I can put my head around this and get to a workable solution.

Is it possible to provide information regarding health care options for a family living in Zuhai with young children?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Colin

Great questions. having children is nerve wrecking especially when they become sick. I am in Hong Kong and i had many of these concerns myself. After asking friends and co-workers i found an insurance company that deals with expats like myself. Try giving Pacific Prime a call, they have an office in Hong Kong and main land China. JW