Car buying process?

Can anyone please advise what the process is in Malta when buying a car, either from a car sales business or a private individual?

any form of 'idiots guide' would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

Mike

It was pretty simple for us.

1. locate car
2. talk the guy down 500 euro
3. get insurance
4. go WITH the current owner of the vehicle to TM to transfer the title to us.
5. drive away happy
6. go back to your insurance company to get the VAT sticker for the car.

pretty simple but do it on a saturday because you will be in line a while at TM.

Chad

Cheers Chad!

it was even easier than that for us as our dealer JM Motors (Jason Malia) at Qormi did all of it for us.....and even when we moved house twice the insurance company gasanmamo did all the changes for VRT and Road tax.

Plus we got a cracking car and have had no trouble with it either in our two years ownership.

good luck guys

we imported a car through UKtoMalta.com and they were fantastic. good price, insurance was easy as others said, and the importer worked out all of the gov't paperwork, lisences and fees for us. their office is in hamrun. really a pleasant experience, not like buying cars in canada. you can read a little more about our experience here: and message us if you have any questions. http://www.mike-jess.com/2011/03/car-post.html

Thanks (and love the blog ... by the way, your description is a 'one size fits all' for Med drivers full stop!!! Spanish BMW and Merc drivers are really a sight to behold :o)

I found it really simple, and have bought two since I have been here.
1) Through a dealer, who did everything, except get the insurance. This I did and gave him the paperwork, he did the rest and I just picked it up and drove away.
2) I had shipped over,via Uk to Malta, which I bought in the uk. Got the insurance,picked up the car from their office, took it to VRT, then went and registered it, very straight forward.