Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City - Corona Virus

THIGV wrote:

I certainly hope the government extends the social distancing rules for at least another 15 days, to the end of the month.  Academics say that as the incubation period could be as long as 15 days, you need to be shut down for double that to be sure of being rid of the virus.   If a government lifts restrictions in 15 days and someone who was infected just before the order went into effect became ill just as the order is lifted and then infect others, then the sacrifices of staying in for two weeks would be for naught.

I hope the government lifts the social distancing rule, but emphasizes the need to avoid person-to-person contact, such as shaking hands, hugging and crowding other persons in line/ queue.

Maybe using stairs instead of lifts, except for the most needful circumstances.

(I envision a worldwide return to having full time elevator operators such as we had during my childhood.)

Together with that, I hope the government increases the fine from ₫200,000 VNĐ to ₫1,000,000 VNĐ (or more) for failure to wear a mask or nasal/mouth covering while in public.

The guideline for six feet (2 meters here) of social distancing was based on two people not wearing masks.

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/92496566_3687640071308871_8349684828815228928_n.jpg

Even Dr Anthony Fauci of the US White House COVID 19 Taskforce has changed his opinion on the value of everyone wearing masks.

In retrospect, the high compliance rate for everyone wearing masks in public in South Korea may very well be the key factor which allowed that country to get through the worst of their country's epidemic without the need to shut down the economy.

Yes, there will still be infections and some deaths in the future, just as there would and will be with an influenza outbreak.

However, the goal of government interventions around the world has not been total eradication of the virus immediately.

The goals have been protection of the most vulnerable and susceptible among us, while flattening the curve of increasing infections and deaths, giving more time for the development of a vaccine and effective therapies.

Everyone in Vietnam needs (yes, I said "needs") to be convinced that it is the patriotic thing to do to always wear a mask in public. 

Then let everyone get back to work and/or spending money.

I spent a year in China so I became a bit familiar with VPNs. I use Linux which has a built in VPN. Using a VPN slows down things a bit too much. In some cases one can't even download. I use Firefox which has a lot of free add ons for security and privacy including a couple built specifically to interfere with Facebook and Google following you around the web. Now I use DuckDuckGo for search results. It may not be as good as Google but everything is in English. That makes it better than Google for me. By a lot.

At work recently I had to use Google Chrome instead of Firefox. WOW! Just WOW! I couldn't dl from You Tube and all kinds of issues, ads things I couldn't do just because...Google. I have no idea how anyone could use that crap. But I think the same thing about MS OSs  compared to Linux.

I use LibreOffice which is free, not MS Office.
MPV media plays everything unlike MS pre-packaged stuff and looks great.

For me computers are fun. I've learned a bit of programming in Python, Lua and recently HTML. I'm making a program that displays all my music, Movie and TV videos. I just click on what I want to watch. It really is a brilliant software writing utility.  I've had quite a bit of fun recently making Google Slides for my students. Google Classroom is a pretty good product for delivering assignments and materials to students.

I'm sure I'll survive DuckDuckGo. It has been around for a long time. Like me.

THIGV wrote:
VietCanada wrote:

I recently stopped using Google since they seem incapable of giving me search results in English and the stalking thing. I now use DuckDuckGo.

The good thing about DuckDuckGo is that they supposedly do not track you or save your searches.  However replies from Google are usually more robust.  Have you tried using a VPN?  Google probably reads that you are with a Vietnamese ISP so they return results in Vietnamese even though your queries are English.  Accessing the internet through a VPN should get you results in English.

Yeah, that happens to me if I don't use a VPN -- my Google searches sometimes turn up only Vietnamese results.  A funny thing -- depending on which VPN I use, I will get specialized news content from news sites, because they think I am in the city where that VPN connects.

With DuckDuckGo I don't have to sign in to set my location and language preferences.
I've been doing a lot of searching while working on my HTML project and just looking up things generally. I haven't had any non PEBKAC issues.

mkv files are a problem. That's annoying since most of my movies and TV shows are mkv files. My music isn't and I have a great looking  program IMHO on my desktop to play my music now. :D

THIGV wrote:
VietCanada wrote:

I recently stopped using Google since they seem incapable of giving me search results in English and the stalking thing. I now use DuckDuckGo.

The good thing about DuckDuckGo is that they supposedly do not track you or save your searches.  However replies from Google are usually more robust.  Have you tried using a VPN?  Google probably reads that you are with a Vietnamese ISP so they return results in Vietnamese even though your queries are English.  Accessing the internet through a VPN should get you results in English.

Access Google through Tor, and it won't know what language you are using because it CANT ask your browser for information about your system and fingerprint you.  Then switch Google to English to do your query.

VietCanada wrote:

I spent a year in China so I became a bit familiar with VPNs. I use Linux which has a built in VPN. Using a VPN slows down things a bit too much. In some cases one can't even download. I use Firefox which has a lot of free add ons for security and privacy including a couple built specifically to interfere with Facebook and Google following you around the web. Now I use DuckDuckGo for search results. It may not be as good as Google but everything is in English. That makes it better than Google for me. By a lot.
[snip]

I use a cheap non-5 Eyes VPN nearly all the time, and get as much and sometimes more than my ISP contract calls for.  Perhaps it was the "Great Firewall of China" which was slowing you down in China?  Or you just had an overloaded VPN circuit/server.

VietCanada wrote:

[snip]
mkv files are a problem. That's annoying since most of my movies and TV shows are mkv files. My music isn't and I have a great looking  program IMHO on my desktop to play my music now. :D

Have you tried VLC (https://www.videolan.org/)?  It plays everything I throw at it, MKV included.

VietCanada wrote:

With DuckDuckGo I don't have to sign in to set my location and language preferences.
I've been doing a lot of searching while working on my HTML project and just looking up things generally. I haven't had any non PEBKAC issues.

I sent you a PM.

Thanks for all the advice.

mkv files won't play properly on web browsers so I can't use then with an HTML program for playing videos. That;s the issue. I been DuckDuckGoing for awhile now. SorceForge, github, these guys just say no, it won't work. ATM it's like death and taxes. No mkv with HTML. Addons, plugins, nothing.   

I have VLC, MPV and Celluloid which comes with my version of Linux. I used to have MP2 player as well but these days all these players play everything I throw at them including BluRay. I used to need VLC for that but MPV does it all and just looks nicer. I installed VLC for file conversions but now I have XDM as a downloading accelerator and it does that on the fly for You Tube. VLC is the industry standard.

Converting movies I torrent takes too long and really heats up my chip.

I played around with TOR and a similar hardcore OS (can't remember the name, only works from a USB IIRC) in China. But I didn't get it working. The
speeds weren't  that bad to motivate me enough I guess. But it is an excellent solution for privacy. I'd recommend it to anyone who really wants to be anonymous on the web.

I think the firewall slowed things up but then again all the routing may have played a part. Just MHO. Can't beat free. I also used Setup VPN. Not quite as good as VPN Book but it worked and they even sent me a personal email to help me get it going. It's also free but may have a paid option. Kproxy has never failed me. The Great Firewall just doesn't exist to them. But slow and other problems. I used it to get passwords from VPN Book. They are changed about monthly. Kproxy is like a scout to find a solution if your firewalled. VN book was the best. It never stopped except when the pw changed. Reliable AF. But I used the connections that allowed me to torrent.

I haven't checked my pm yet.

colinoscapee wrote:

I sent you a PM.

Somehow I can't find how to get/read a PM.  None of the menu picks show such a function, so please give a little tutorial on how to open/create/send such a beasty.

Much obliged.

Hi all!

Is it currently possible to enter and leave from HCMC with a car? Someone told me it is not possible, but I haven't found reliable information online.

Can anyone help with this?

Taxis are prohibited because four wheel public transport is prohibited. Apparently there are checkpoints.

I don't know what that means if your buddy has a car and you decide to go to HCMC.

I expect that if you don't have a serious reason to go there then there will be some consequences. Financial and told to go back to whence you came?

It's not something i would consider doing at this time.

There is info online. just look through the 'Official Vietnam Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) Info Site' thread. Government decrees, posted in two languages and discussed.

Travelfar wrote:

Somehow I can't find how to get/read a PM.  None of the menu picks show such a function, so please give a little tutorial on how to open/create/send such a beasty.

Normally you can simply hit the link box in the email, otherwise: (Major edit)  look for the five icons in the upper right corner of your page.  Hit the first one that looks like a text bubble in a cartoon.  All your prior message threads, both in and out, should be visible.

Thanks for your answer! I have a fairly good reason (need access to company materials), but it's not a matter of life and death.

The official website linked in the thread you mentioned stresses that the checkpoints are NOT for locking down HCMC, but only to check whether people have masks etc.

So I assume it's no problem going in and out? Someone told me it's not allowed.

Has anyone real-life experience with this?

Vitamin_E wrote:

Thanks for your answer! I have a fairly good reason (need access to company materials), but it's not a matter of life and death.

The official website linked in the thread you mentioned stresses that the checkpoints are NOT for locking down HCMC, but only to check whether people have masks etc.

So I assume it's no problem going in and out? Someone told me it's not allowed.

Has anyone real-life experience with this?

No "real life" experience going through a checkpoint.

However, the directive states that only "essential" travel is allowed.

So while a checkpoint is not a blockade, you will certainly be asked about your essential reason(s) for traveling there, especially as a foreigner.

Do your best to prepare your answer(s) in advance in the form of some sort of written document with Vietnamese language translation included.

Perhaps use your company letterhead and print
out a copy or two.

If your company has an official seal or stamp, use it (red ink best).

Even though you may be the owner of your company (even sole proprietor) it's likely best to show that your company is authorizing your travel on the company's behalf.

Hopefully Ciambella will correct me if I'm leading you astray.

THIGV wrote:
Travelfar wrote:

Normally you can simply hit the link box in the email, otherwise: (Major edit)  look for the five icons in the upper right corner of your page.  Hit the first one that looks like a text bubble in a cartoon.  All your prior message threads, both in and out, should be visible.

Seems Travelfar has definitely participated in a few discussions (with real answers) to unlock the private messaging feature.

@Travelfar: After logging in to expat.com. Click on the link below:
https://www.expat.com/forum/private_message/

What happens?

Thanks OceanBeach, that's helpful. Writing a letter sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will still hear from someone who crossed a checkpoint, otherwise I guess I will try to send someone in (can't go myself).

It's great that Vietnam managed to control the outbreak apparently as the only country in the world, although it does create some complications...

Vitamin_E wrote:

Thanks OceanBeach, that's helpful. Writing a letter sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will still hear from someone who crossed a checkpoint, otherwise I guess I will try to send someone in (can't go myself).

It's great that Vietnam managed to control the outbreak apparently as the only country in the world, although it does create some complications...

How come 'apparently'?

Not sure what you mean. There might be other successful countries among the remaining 194 countries...

Vitamin_E wrote:

Not sure what you mean. There might be other successful countries among the remaining 194 countries...

Look up Iceland.  Admittedly most of the countries with better results than Vietnam are either island nations or in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Vitamin_E wrote:

COVID-19 is affecting 210 countries and territories plus 2 international conveyances.  Vietnam is one of 45 countries and territories with zero death, and ranked 17th on the list of fewest cases per 1M population:

Worldometers

As of today, 81% of infected cases have recovered (only 60 active cases left) and there haven't any new case in the last 5 days.

I'm largely unconvinced by official numbers as not a country on the planet knows how many people have been infected, that meaning the death rates are not much better than wild guesses.
Vietnam's zero deaths is far more likely to be lousy recording than the actual number of stiffs.
Not that I'm suggesting Vietnam is up to something or incompetent, just that no government has the first idea.

sanooku wrote:

...After logging in to expat. com Click on the link below:
https://www.expat.com/forum/private_message/

Brilliant in its simplicity.

Thanks!

Well, there might or might not be, considering not all countries have reliable numbers or even testing capabilities. A god-forsaken country with little international contact did not (yet) succeed in controlling the outbreak, but simply is behind the curve. "Apparently" Vietnam is the only country to have proven to be able to handle the situation (despite its closeness to and close business ties with the epicenter), but there might be others. Then again the point is of no significance whatsoever to my posting.

Vitamin_E wrote:

Well, there might or might not be, considering not all countries have reliable numbers or even testing capabilities. ... Then again the point is of no significance whatsoever to my posting.

I understand your comment was a response to Fred's post #142, but other readers may not know that because they don't see the connection between the posts. 

To avoid this problem, would you please click on the Quote function under the post you wish to respond to (as I did above) before typing your comment ?

Thank you.

Vitamin_E wrote:

Well, there might or might not be, considering not all countries have reliable numbers or even testing capabilities. A god-forsaken country with little international contact did not (yet) succeed in controlling the outbreak, but simply is behind the curve. "Apparently" Vietnam is the only country to have proven to be able to handle the situation (despite its closeness to and close business ties with the epicenter), but there might be others. Then again the point is of no significance whatsoever to my posting.

It may well be the case. In Vung Tau (which is about 100Km from Saigon), there hasn't been any reported cases (yet).

Can you please provide the source where you saw Vietnam's handling of COVID-19?

From what you've said in your post it seems you're quoting from a particular source or sources.

Much appreciated.

Ciambella wrote:
Vitamin_E wrote:

Well, there might or might not be, considering not all countries have reliable numbers or even testing capabilities. ... Then again the point is of no significance whatsoever to my posting.

I understand your comment was a response to Fred's post #142, but other readers may not know that because they don't see the connection between the posts. 

To avoid this problem, would you please click on the Quote function under the post you wish to respond to (as I did above) before typing your comment ?

Thank you.

It also prevents the problem where a post is edited while one is responding.

When a quote is used, there is no ambiguity.

Viet Nam has done very little testing. Many infected people show no symptoms. Many othrs show no symptoms until after they are most infectious. Viet Nam is doing well but don't break out the champagne just yet. The virus is still poorly understood.

VietCanada wrote:

Viet Nam has done very little testing. Many infected people show no symptoms. Many othrs show no symptoms until after they are most infectious. Viet Nam is doing well but don't break out the champagne just yet. The virus is still poorly understood.

Of course, less testing = less cases, not rocket science.  Second, anybody that believes nobody has died from the Wuhan virus in VN, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.  :)

Fred, why would you think it far more likely that Vietnam didn't record deaths properly?  What basis do you have for doubt?

Ciambella wrote:
Vitamin_E wrote:

Thank you.

It also prevents the problem where a post is edited while one is responding.

When a quote is used, there is no ambiguity (this word means 'more than one meaning').

p.s:  My previous post was removed for review without explanation. Probably because of the word 'ambiguity'. Could be that the mod/admin did not understand the word. I've provided the meaning in brackets on this occasion.

paulmsn wrote:

Fred, why would you think it far more likely that Vietnam didn't record deaths properly?  What basis do you have for doubt?

No country has recorded deaths properly because a lot of people died without testing. They might well have contracted flu, or had the virus but died of a heart attack, or just died and nobody bothered checking the cause.

Nobody knows, and nobody will ever know. All governments cab do is take best guess, but that will be wildly wrong.
As for X% death rate, another guess because a lot of people catch the virus but don't know about it.

sanooku wrote:

p.s:  My previous post was removed for review without explanation. Probably because of the word 'ambiguity'. Could be that the mod/admin did not understand the word. I've provided the meaning in brackets on this occasion.

All the Admin, Mods on the site are fluent in English, in fact they can put even native speakers to shame. Mabe, it was some that you did wrong?

SimCityAT wrote:
sanooku wrote:

All the Admin, Mods on the site are fluent in English, in fact they can put even native speakers to shame. Mabe, it was some that you did wrong?

What a load of bunk.

VietCanada wrote:

I am agree...the figures are amazing!! When we look Singapore and South Korea they are doing a lot of cases like Germany so much more cases...

Fred wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

No country has recorded deaths properly because a lot of people died without testing. They might well have contracted flu, or had the virus but died of a heart attack, or just died and nobody bothered checking the cause.

Nobody knows, and nobody will ever know. All governments cab do is take best guess, but that will be wildly wrong.
As for X% death rate, another guess because a lot of people catch the virus but don't know about it.

I am agree