Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City - Corona Virus

But a city of more than 10,000 people is in quarantine near Hanoi...this is only the beginning!!

Wow... I was just browsing through this thread.  It's amazing how much things have changed in these past six weeks.  In the beginning practically everyone shrugged it off as only China's problem.  Now it is everyone's problem the world over.  And just in six weeks! 

Case > Case > Cluster > Boom!  That is the reality today everywhere.

I realize that Vietnam is one of the countries that are really taking an effective and aggressive proactive approach, but all it takes is one individual to really screw things up, which became readily apparent a couple of weeks ago unfortunately.

I realize it's a well known fact that 80% of those who become infected will only suffer minor symptoms if they are young and in good health but they still have a responsibility to avoid infecting the remaining 20% who are more vulnerable.

Right now everyone should be doing everything they can to reduce the risk of infection because the big risk now is that healthcare systems will be overwhelmed if too many more new cases develop all at the same time.

If healthcare systems become overwhelmed, those 20% are going to be at increased risk of not receiving the intensive care they will need.  Many will die needlessly, not directly as a result of the virus, but by the inability of the healthcare system to provide them with effective treatment.

It's referred to as "flattening the curve", and everyone should google that term and really understand what it means because, in the case of Covid-19, the final outcome will be determined more by how individuals act right now, than on how governments or official organizations do.

This boils down to strong good governance, social capital and trust in Government and we, as foreigners are caught in between. Hope that the message gets all round and considering the literacy rate here, someone will take trouble to explain someone else what it all means to be in social distancing and good hygiene habits..

Being one of the last northern hemisphere countries to still be able to essentially keep out the virus, Vietnam should be in a good position to "flatten the curve."  One problem though is that this does not really mean reducing the total number of cases as much as it means spreading out the cases over more time in order to allow hospitals to handle the lower peak.  The problem in Vietnam still could be a lack of intensive care beds.  Remember this is a medical system where patients family come in and bring them their meals.  That won't work with coronavirus.  At any rate the delayed onset is still a huge advantage over how things would have been if the virus had come directly from China a month ago.

I saw two interesting statistics on TV today (so no citation.)   South Korea has had 8050 cases and 81 deaths.  This comes in almost exactly 1%.  As South Korea has had "testing on demand" since the beginning, these should be pretty good numbers.  The original 2% mortality numbers from China were probably based on situations where large numbers of those infected were never tested.  1% is a lot worse than influenza, but it's a lot better than 2%.

The US has done such a miserable job with testing that US mortality figures will be useless.  One doctor I saw said that they will only have good numbers after the whole thing is over and they can screen the general population with a test that can check for antibodies of recovered patients who may have not been tested now.  Only then will they know how many were really infected in the US.

THIGV wrote:

Being one of the last northern hemisphere countries to still be able to essentially keep out the virus, Vietnam should be in a good position to "flatten the curve."  One problem though is that this does not really mean reducing the total number of cases as much as it means spreading out the cases over more time in order to allow hospitals to handle the lower peak.  The problem in Vietnam still could be a lack of intensive care beds.  Remember this is a medical system where patients family come in and bring them their meals.  That won't work with coronavirus.  At any rate the delayed onset is still a huge advantage over how things would have been if the virus had come directly from China a month ago.

I saw two interesting statistics on TV today (so no citation.)   South Korea has had 8050 cases and 81 deaths.  This comes in almost exactly 1%.  As South Korea has had "testing on demand" since the beginning, these should be pretty good numbers.  The original 2% mortality numbers from China were probably based on situations where large numbers of those infected were never tested.  1% is a lot worse than influenza, but it's a lot better than 2%.

The US has done such a miserable job with testing that US mortality figures will be useless.  One doctor I saw said that they will only have good numbers after the whole thing is over and they can screen the general population with a test that can check for antibodies of recovered patients who may have not been tested now.  Only then will they know how many were really infected in the US.

===
You express a lot of really good points.  Kudos to you :)  Not nearly enough people are really taking the time to become truly informed about the current situation, and individuals taking the responsibility of being well informed is what's going to make all the difference in the final analysis, I think.

I totally agree with you about "flattening the curve".  It isn't about reducing the number of cases as much as spreading out new infections over time so the healthcare system can function properly.  If that does not occur, and hospitals start to have more cases than they can handle, the "mortality" rate will skyrocket, not as direct result of the virus, but because of the healthcare system's inability to provide proper treatment.  I'm not trying to be a scaremonger, but facts are facts.

It just drives me crazy that some people still do not understand this.  Even now, there are still ignorant people downplaying the significance of Covid-19, claiming such things as it's no worse than the common flu, or that more people die on the roads, or voicing the sentiment that even if they get the virus, the chances are 80% that it will only be minor, and not much worse than the flu.

What they ignore is that if they become infected, they are putting others at risk, many of which will be in that 20% category who are much more vulnerable and may end up requiring ICU care. 

That is exactly what's happening in Italy right now where many of the hospitals are now at 200%+ over-capacity.  And people should remember, this not only puts new Covid-19 cases at higher risk, but ALL critical care cases at higher risk, such as new trauma cases, newly diagnosed coronary and cancer cases, etc... .  Simply put, if there are not enough ICU beds for those who need them, doctors will be forced to make unimaginable decisions of who will receive treatment...and who will not.

Here in Thailand, many people are out and about as though there is nothing to be too concerned about.  Although the government here is starting to become more proactive with regard to promoting new guidelines for social distancing and the like, their efforts are falling far short of those being implemented in Vietnam.

IMO, Vietnam is one of the few "gold standard" countries right now in how they are dealing with this crisis.

I was planning to move from Thailand to Vietnam and was in the process of getting a DN (Business) visa through an agent, when I got a call from the agent yesterday to let me know that VN has now imposed a temporary ban on ALL visas through at least 15 April.  While I was disappointed to say the least, it indicated to me how seriously VN is taking this crisis, and I have to say, I am impressed!

The US is definitely "late out of the gate", but then they always seem to be.  Hopefully they will do what they usually do, and make up for that.  As an American I believe that will happen.  The situation in the UK however is truly worrisome IMO because they seem to be deliberately taking a completely different tack to social distancing.  Proponents of the UK's strategy make a lot of positive points about the decisions not to close schools, restaurants, pubs, gatherings, etc, but it simply makes no real sense to me.  I guess time will tell...as in the next few weeks.

Wavehunter wrote:

The US is definitely "late out of the gate", but then they always seem to be.  Hopefully they will do what they usually do, and make up for that.

"The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted." - Sir W. Churchill. 

Wavehunter wrote:

The situation in the UK however is truly worrisome IMO because they seem to be deliberately taking a completely different tack to social distancing.  Proponents of the UK's strategy make a lot of positive points about the decisions not to close schools, restaurants, pubs, gatherings, etc, but it simply makes no real sense to me.  I guess time will tell...as in the next few weeks.

Apparently the UK had decided on seeking "herd immunity" but the BBV TV reported just tonight that they had changed course when computer models, including the Italian data, indicated that the old policy would cause 250,000 deaths.  They have now decided to go with social isolation policies that they hope will hold it down to 20,000.  Perhaps they listened to Churchill and didn't want the quote turned around on them.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

You guys keep hijacking these threads, and you end up posting the same basic stuff that you've already posted two or three times in other threads.

This was supposed to be a thread specifically about Ho Chi Minh City.

But now, anybody looking for information specific to Ho Chi Minh city is going to have to Wade through all of your oh-so-important stuff that you feel needs to be repeated ad nauseam.

I don't need to quote anybody here.

You Know Who You Are

===
Sorry, you are right.  I did not intend to hijack your thread.  I got carried away with my responses, and apologize.  It was inappropriate.  Won't happen again.

THIGV,
Oceanbeach made a good point; perhaps these discussions should be in a new or more appropriate thread.

THIGV wrote:

The original 2% mortality numbers from China were probably based on situations where large numbers of those infected were never tested.

The original 2% numbers of China were estimates. Now, that new infections and active cases have fallen dramatically, things have settled, it's fair to calculate an actual death rate. Out of 72957 closed cases, 3241 have resulted in death, which is 4.44%.

atomheart wrote:

Out of 72957 closed cases, 3241 have resulted in death, which is 4.44%.

Are those rates across all nations or only China?  Don't most people believe that China's infection rate was vastly understated, even as time went on, and of course that raises the mortality percentage?  At any rate, we can only hope that Vietnam is closer to the Korean numbers when it is all done.

Wavehunter wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

You guys keep hijacking these threads, and you end up posting the same basic stuff that you've already posted two or three times in other threads.

This was supposed to be a thread specifically about Ho Chi Minh City.

But now, anybody looking for information specific to Ho Chi Minh city is going to have to Wade through all of your oh-so-important stuff that you feel needs to be repeated ad nauseam.

I don't need to quote anybody here.

You Know Who You Are

===
Sorry, you are right.  I did not intend to hijack your thread.  I got carried away with my responses, and apologize.  It was inappropriate.  Won't happen again.

I didn't start this thread , so it's not "mine" in that sense, but your sentiment is certainly appreciated

THIGV wrote:
atomheart wrote:

Out of 72957 closed cases, 3241 have resulted in death, which is 4.44%.

Are those rates across all nations or only China?  Don't most people believe that China's infection rate was vastly understated, even as time went on, and of course that raises the mortality percentage?  At any rate, we can only hope that Vietnam is closer to the Korean numbers when it is all done.

These are the chinese numbers only. Some people believe that the coronavirus-related deaths were also underreported. But for now, the numbers above are hard numbers, not estimates or beliefs...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I didn't start this thread , so it's not "mine" in that sense, but your sentiment is certainly appreciated

Even if you did start a thread, you can't say that it is yours.  That is the root of your problem.  All threads belong to Julian.  All other posters are equal.

THIGV wrote:

The problem in Vietnam still could be a lack of intensive care beds.  Remember this is a medical system where patients family come in and bring them their meals.  That won't work with coronavirus.  At any rate the delayed onset is still a huge advantage over how things would have been if the virus had come directly from China a month ago.

- So far, there's no shortage of intensive care beds for patients of Covid 19 and the government doesn't foresee such problem if things continue the way it has been. 

- Families are not allowed to see patients or bring meals to them.  The government provides everything. 

- The virus DID come directly from China a month ago (Feb 22).  On Feb 24, two days after the first 2 Chinese tourists arrived from Wuhan with the virus, the Emergency Pandemic Prevention program was fully executed.

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

The problem in Vietnam still could be a lack of intensive care beds.  Remember this is a medical system where patients family come in and bring them their meals.  That won't work with coronavirus.  At any rate the delayed onset is still a huge advantage over how things would have been if the virus had come directly from China a month ago.

- So far, there's no shortage of intensive care beds for patients of Covid 19 and the government doesn't foresee such problem if things continue the way it has been. 

- Families are not allowed to see patients or bring meals to them.  The government provides everything. 

- The virus DID come directly from China a month ago (Feb 22).  On Feb 24, two days after the first 2 Chinese tourists came directly from Wuhan to Vietnam with the virus, the Emergency Pandemic Prevention program was fully executed.

Perhaps my comment about families bringing meals was a little too flippant.  What I meant was that of course what is actually a rather nice practice on a personal level, would certainly be closed off to COVID-19 patients.  All in all, it seems that Vietnam is doing an exemplary job.  For rather obvious reasons, I have to refrain from comment on the job the US is doing. 

I do recall that a couple of Chinese were positive a month ago but what I meant was if the virus had become established at that time.  Again, unartfull wording on my part.

When it is said and done, Vietnam could well be a model for other nations of comparable size and wealth.

Patient N. 68 is a 41 year old American man who is married to a Vietnamese and has an address in Da Nang.

Patient exited VN on Feb 11, travelled to India, Spain, Morocco, Switzerland, Germany, Hungary, and Netherlands, then returned on Singapore Airlines (March 13 and 14) from Amsterdam to Da Nang via Singapore.   

At Da Nang Airport, he's examined and transferred to Ministry of Public Security Hospital 199 for isolation.

Today, the Pasteur Institute in Nha Trang confirmed that patient is tested positive for SARS-CoV-2.

Ciambella wrote:

Patient N. 68 is a 41 year old American man who is married to a Vietnamese and has an address in Da Nang.

Patient exited VN on Feb 11, travelled to India, Spain, Morocco, Switzerland, Germany, Hungary, and Netherlands, then returned on Singapore Airlines (March 13 and 14) from Amsterdam to Da Nang via Singapore.

That itinerary is just asking for trouble.  The only way he could have made it worse would have been a side trip to northern Italy.  What was he thinking?  What business could have been so important that he would endanger himself and an entire nation?

THIGV wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

That itinerary is just asking for trouble.  The only way he could have made it worse would have been a side trip to northern Italy.  What was he thinking?  What business could have been so important that he would endanger himself and an entire nation?

bit like rolling the dice that trip I think THIGV :o

The question is on a long flight from Amsterdam to Da Nang how many other passengers did he infect?  They all got off the plane and went their separate ways.  Now to chase all of them down and who they interacted with.

And you believe it (zero)??

SteinNebraska wrote:

The question is on a long flight from Amsterdam to Da Nang how many other passengers did he infect?  They all got off the plane and went their separate ways.  Now to chase all of them down and who they interacted with.

The government has all the passengers' names, addresses, and nationalities.  If they're Vietnamese or foreigners who live here, they'll be found.  If they're tourists who move from one place to another, it's a more difficult task. 

kallouche wrote:

And you believe it (zero)??

Yes I do and not because I'm naive.  I trust my sources who also believe that there's no death so far in the country.

However, the number zero may change very soon.  Two patients in Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi are in bad shape and very bad shape at the moment. 

The first one is the 69 year old British citizen whose pre-existing condition includes hypertension and type 2 diabetes.  He has been on a ventilator and dialysis since March 15 and monitored closely since March 16.  Although the blood oxygenation has improved, his condition is listed as serious.

In critical condition is the 64 year old Vietnamese woman who has a history of vestibular disorder.  Even with dialysis and ventilator since March 15, she still suffers from respiratory failure and severe lung damage.  Health officials have voiced the worry that she may become the first fatality.

Both patients became infected due to their close contact with the internationally infamous and spurned sisters, "Patient Zero" and  Patient N.17.  Several passengers and a flight attendant in that flight are also tested positive.

Ciambella wrote:

Yes I do and not because I'm naive.  I trust my sources who also believe that there's no death so far in the country.

Whatever or who ever they are, your sources seem impeccable.  No need for links because they are surely in Vietnamese and at any rate we should trust you.  Thank you very much for your information.

To any who would criticize me for my interest because I am presently in Hawaii, which is like Vietnam facing its first significant challenge, does not mean that I do not have an interest.  I have an aged mother-in-law and two brothers-in-law who have had very recent heart problems.  I also have a stepson who lives on a farm in the North.  He may be well isolated if things get bad but in addition he is young and healthy. 

Ciambella:  please keep these excellent reports coming.  :one

The newest patient, N°76, is a 52 year old French citizen who arrived in Saigon on Turkish Airlines from Istanbul on March 10.  From March 10 to March 16, he visited Saigon, Can Tho, Hoi An and Hue.  He then came to Ninh Binh, being tested and isolated at the National Hospital of Tropical Diseases in Dong Anh, outside of Hanoi.  He's in stable condition.

I think there's a decent chance that Vietnam can keep things reasonably contained.  I certainly hope so, since I am probably stuck here for months.

The number of persons who were/are infected since the beginning of the virus is at 85 as of today. 

Out of those 85 people, 67 were NOT infected in Vietnam.  They're foreign tourists or returning Vietnam citizens who succumbed to the virus either from outside of Vietnam or while sharing a flight to VN with infected person/s. 

The other 18 were people in Vietnam who were in contact with those already-infected people as mentioned above.

Seventeen patients were released from hospital with a clean bill of health (well, aside from their pre-existing condition).

The youngest person was Patient N°15, a 3 month old baby boy who was an F2 originally (F2 is someone who has close contact with other someone who has close contact with a person who has the virus).  He received the virus from his grandmother (an F1 who became Patient N°11 after being infected by Patient N°5.  Patient N°5 was sent by Japanese company Nihon Plast to Wuhan for special training and came back to VN with the virus).  The baby boy was released from the hospital after 11 days of treatment.

The oldest person is Patient N°28, a 74 year old British citizen travelling from London to Hanoi on the same fight with the infamous Patient N°17.  He's still hospitalised.

Ciambella wrote:

The number of persons who were/are infected since the beginning of the virus is at 85 as of today. 

Out of those 85 people, 67 were NOT infected in Vietnam.  They're foreign tourists or returning Vietnam citizens who succumbed to the virus either from outside of Vietnam or while sharing a flight to VN with infected person/s. 

The other 18 were people in Vietnam who were in contact with those already-infected people as mentioned above.

Seventeen patients were released from the hospital with a clean bill of health (well, aside from their pre-existing condition).

The youngest person was Patient N°15, a 3 month old baby boy who was an F2 originally (F2 is someone who is contact with other someone who is in contact with a person who has the virus).  He received the virus from his grandmother (an F1 who became Patient N°11 after being infected by Patient N°5.  Patient N°5 was sent by Japanese company Nihon Plast to Wuhan for special training and came back to VN with the virus).  The baby boy was released from the hospital after 11 days of treatment.

The oldest person is Patient N°28, a 74 year old British citizen travelling from London to Hanoi on the same fight with the infamous Patient N°17.  He's still hospitalised.

Like as in like........ the information you gave, not the condition of any of the patients still in hospital!

goodolboy wrote:

Like as in like........ the information you gave, not the condition of any of the patients still in hospital!

I understand perfectly.  If it helps any, a great majority of patients who are still in hospital are stable, only few are in serious and one is in critical condition.

I was refused treatment treatment twice in HCM today for being a foreigner.  Wasn't related to any covid-19 symptoms and I've been to both clinics before.  I was seen without issue at the Tropical Disease Hospital in the end.

Kane81 wrote:

I was refused treatment treatment twice in HCM today for being a foreigner.  Wasn't related to any covid-19 symptoms and I've been to both clinics before.  I was seen without issue at the Tropical Disease Hospital in the end.

Maybe the reason you were refused treatment was because your problem is in the end?

Are you willing to tell us which places refused to treat you?

I know you said you had been to these hospitals before but I might add that several of the more specialized hospitals are for citizens only.  When I had shingles, my wife brought me to the specialty chicken pox hospital in HCM but we were turned away.  We ended up at Cho Ray which was both just fine and close by.

THIGV wrote:

I know you said you had been to these hospitals before but I might add that several of the more specialized hospitals are for citizens only.  When I had shingles, my wife brought me to the specialty chicken pox hospital in HCM but we were turned away.  We ended up at Cho Ray which was both just fine and close by.

Jeez THI, you must have nerves of steel man, I went to visit 2 friends (English) who were in a moto accident, broken legs & treated there. I was in shock! First thing came into my head was OFFS hope I never end up in here! So hats off to you on that one.

goodolboy wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Jeez THI, you must have nerves of steel man, I went to visit 2 friends (English) who were in a moto accident, broken legs & treated there. I was in shock! First thing came into my head was OFFS hope I never end up in here! So hats off to you on that one.

Were your friends in the area upstairs which is nothing like the chicken farm downstairs.

THIGV wrote:

Trung tâm y khoa Thân Dân in District 5
The other was my girlfriends family doctor in D10

colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Were your friends in the area upstairs which is nothing like the chicken farm downstairs.

They were upstairs but to get to them I had to navigate the various corridors, elevators & must admit parked my bike in the Emergency department bike park.
On the positive side they were in a private room & paying for the treatment (no health insurance) & it ended up good for them financially I suppose & eventually they recovered.
On the negative side (& I have to admit, my only experience of hospitalization in Asia has been in Bumrungrad International  BKK) so all I can say from my perspective is that the room they were in was lets say pretty basic but adequate & not well sound proofed.
Not sure if I am right here & perhaps you can comment/advise but I think a new private wing has opened at Cho Ray recently??

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

They were upstairs but to get to them I had to navigate the various corridors, elevators & must admit parked my bike in the Emergency department bike park.
On the positive side they were in a private room & paying for the treatment (no health insurance) & it ended up good for them financially I suppose & eventually they recovered.
On the negative side (& I have to admit, my only experience of hospitalization in Asia has been in Bumrungrad International  BKK) so all I can say from my perspective is that the room they were in was lets say pretty basic but adequate & not well sound proofed.
Not sure if I am right here & perhaps you can comment/advise but I think a new private wing has opened at Cho Ray recently??

Yeah, downstairs is pretty scary.

I had my appendix out at Bệnh viện Đại học Y Dược, which is in D5. The new section where I stayed was great, but the older section not so good. Overcrowding and outdated facilities being the problem. I spent about 18 days in hospital and couldn't fault the service and quality of the room.

Below is Excerpt 1 from the conclusion speech that Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc gave at the Government Standing Committee Meeting on Prevention and Control of Covid-19. 

(Even though I tried to translate and select only the stuff that are important to expats, his conclusion speech was still a very long and difficult one to condense.  This was Excerpt 1 of 2.  If you can spare the time to read both, I think you may find some useful information.)

"On the prevention and control of this epidemic, we basically agree with positive assessments from the National Steering Committee and Office of the Government.  The results so far are praiseworthy. However, there are still a number of gaps and limitations in this epidemic prevention and control; the risk of spread and outbreaks remains very high.  It is necessary to overcome these problems, do not be satisfied with the achievement, always be vigilant, never be subjective, always be proactive, ready at all time to cope with every situation, and prepare for the worst case scenario.

This epidemic prevention and control has entered a new stage that requires our higher determination, solidarity, and responsibility to reach stronger and more resolute solutions.

We suggested all governmental levels and sectors, all private citizens especially socio-political organizations to strengthen the advocacy, recommendations, and implementation, so that every organization, community, family. and citizen will drastically change their habits and routines to adapt to the new requirements in the prevention of this disease.

The requirements include: increasing online transactions; wearing masks in public places and public transport; avoiding gathering of more than 50 people; temporarily closing entertainment facilities; adopting a habit of practicing religion at home, etc."

Excerpt 2:

"Suspension of entry for all foreigners entering Vietnam, effective at 0:00 on March 22.  For diplomatic and official purposes as well as special cases, the Ministries of Public Security, Defense, Foreign Affairs, and Health, together with relevant agencies, will implement the issuance of visas, the compulsory medical examination, the declaration procedures, and the isolation.

Suspension of entry for all cases of visa exemption documents (VEC) issued to people of Vietnamese descent and their relatives, effective at 0:00 on March 22, 2020.

Continue to restrict flights transporting passengers from abroad into Vietnam, including foreign airlines while at the same time, create favorable conditions for flights carrying foreign passengers to leave Vietnam.

*Note: This sentence ('Continue to restrict flights transporting passengers from abroad into Vietnam') contradicts the first sentence ('Suspension of entry for all foreigners entering Vietnam').  When asked, my source took an educated guess with this answer:  "He meant Vietnamese who live and work abroad wanting to return home.  The government cannot close the door on its citizens and families, but they can restrict them.  In fact, the government thinks there may be up to 80,000 Vietnamese and their families requesting entry in the next two weeks.  That kind of influx would overload the isolation facilities.")

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall direct the representatives of Overseas Vietnamese to continue advocating and advising their members to minimize the wish to return home. In case returning is a real need, they must register with the representative to promptly coordinate with the Ministry of Transport so this agency can direct the aviation industry to organize the flights.  They must also register and comply with all travel arrangements, medical declaration, and isolation.

All passengers entering Vietnam must be isolated, except for foreigners who enter for diplomatic and official purposes, Vietnamese with diplomatic passports, and government officials returning from business trips. Failure to comply with isolation, failure to declare, and any acts of abetting people to avoid isolation will be severely handled.

Before March 25, Hanoi People's Committee will have more isolation facilities ready to receive 20,000 cases, with all locations near the airport and not in densely populated areas.

Foreigners who are experts, business managers, high-tech workers, etc. who have a negative test result for Covid-19 virus issued by competent agency of the host country and approved by Vietnam will be allowed entry but must be strictly isolated at isolation facilities or approved accommodations.  The Ministry of Public Security shall direct the relevant units to issue or extend visas appropriate to these cases (including those who cannot return home and must continue to work).  The Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs shall urgently issue appropriate work permits for the above cases."

The Ministry of Transport has declared that starting March 21, passengers on all domestic flights, boats, trains, and intercity buses must fill out mandatory electronic medical declarations before making the journey. This procedure can be done on the website Vietnam Health Declaration or via Vietnam Health Declaration App (both Android and iOS).

Good news for Vietnam and other semi-tropical areas:  From the NY Times:

Warmer weather may slow the coronavirus.
Communities in warmer places appear to have a comparative advantage to slow the transmission of the coronavirus, according to an early analysis by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The researchers found that most cases occurred in regions with low temperatures, between 37.4 and 62.6 degrees Fahrenheit (or 3 and 17 degrees Celsius).
“Wherever the temperatures were colder, the number of the cases started increasing quickly,” said Qasim Bukhari, a computational scientist at M.I.T. who is a co-author of the study. “You see this in Europe, even though the health care there is among the world's best.”
The temperature dependency is also clear within the United States, Dr. Bukhari said. Arizona, Florida and Texas have seen slower outbreak growth compared with Washington, New York and Colorado. Coronavirus cases in California have grown at a rate that falls somewhere in between.
Dr. Bukhari acknowledged that factors like travel restrictions, social distancing measures, variations in the availability of tests and hospital burdens might have affected the number of cases in different locations.

link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/worl … k-42bc69ff

This link is to a frequently updated page but hopefully it will be available for a while.