Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City - Corona Virus

THIGV wrote:

Good news for Vietnam and other semi-tropical areas:  From the NY Times:

Warmer weather may slow the coronavirus.
Communities in warmer places appear to have a comparative advantage to slow the transmission of the coronavirus, according to an early analysis by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The researchers found that most cases occurred in regions with low temperatures, between 37.4 and 62.6 degrees Fahrenheit (or 3 and 17 degrees Celsius).
“Wherever the temperatures were colder, the number of the cases started increasing quickly,” said Qasim Bukhari, a computational scientist at M.I.T. who is a co-author of the study. “You see this in Europe, even though the health care there is among the world's best.”
The temperature dependency is also clear within the United States, Dr. Bukhari said. Arizona, Florida and Texas have seen slower outbreak growth compared with Washington, New York and Colorado. Coronavirus cases in California have grown at a rate that falls somewhere in between.
Dr. Bukhari acknowledged that factors like travel restrictions, social distancing measures, variations in the availability of tests and hospital burdens might have affected the number of cases in different locations.

Unfortunately, there's another factor that gets involved with warmer weather.

That's the tendency of people to be outside more and not cooped up inside where the virus will transmit more easily to another person..

In California they're going so far as to tell people to stay off of beaches.

I think the same thing is true in Florida.

One person posted about an empty golf course that's closed.

I'm saying the advantage of warmer weather may be reduced if people in warmer weather areas are encouraged to stay inside more

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'm saying the advantage of warmer weather may be reduced if people in warmer weather areas are encouraged to stay inside more

That makes sense as long as the outdoor activities are solitary or for couples from the same household.  Bicycle riding and jogging should be fine, but a pickup basketball or football (soccer) game should definitely be out.  Badminton, which is so popular in Vietnam, has no direct contact but probably too much exertion and breathing of the same air space.  Singles tennis maybe would be better as long as the participants kept their distance between points.  Solitary walks on the beach should be the best.

Starting at 18:00 today, March 24, all service businesses and entertainment venues such as bars, beer clubs, estaurants (with capacity of 30 people or more), billiard clubs, gyms, spas, nail salons, hair salons, barbershops, etc. in the entire 24 districts of Saigon are to be closed until March 31.

Before today, on March 15, 180 discos, bars, beer clubs; nearly 500 karaoke bars; massage parlours, movie theatres, entertainment and game centres have been closed per order of the local government.

Fred wrote:

I suspect overpriced housing and a possible crash is likely to worry a lot more people than a virus..

People in Italy may feel differently.

Patient N° 91 is the 43 year old British pilot for American Airlines.  He visited Buddha Bar in Q2 on March 14 and 17 before checking in at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases on the same day of March 17.  The test came back positive and he has been hospitalized there since.

The consequence of his visits didn't just stay in the hospital with him.  Among the customers at Buddha Bar on March 14 were:

- a 27 year old Canadian man who's now Patient N°120,
- a 52 year old Brazilian man who's now Patient N°124,
- a 22 year old South African woman who's now Patient N°125,
- a 28 year old South African man who's now Patient N°126,
- a 23 year old Vietnamese male waiter who's now Patient N°127

Buddha Bar had continued to open until 18:00 yesterday when the most recent order from the local government forced it to close until March 31.

On a happy note, 6 more patients are released from hospital after their treatment.  All of them received negative result on 3 separated tests before being released.

Still, shouln't be complacent. The evidence from countries that were are too stark.

Btw, do you know the specific TREATMENT the 6 patients received? Supportive care as opposed to anti-viral drugs or other treatment (Blood plasma transfusion from recovered patient) i presume?

sanooku wrote:

Btw, do you know the specific TREATMENT the 6 patients received? Supportive care as opposed to anti-viral drugs or other treatment (Blood plasma transfusion from recovered patient) i presume?

I don't have that information.

Ciambella wrote:

Patient N° 91 is the 43 year old British pilot for American Airlines.  He visited Buddha Bar in Q2 on March 14 and 17 before checking in at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases on the same day of March 17.  The test came back positive and he has been hospitalized there since.

The consequence of his visits didn't just stay in the hospital with him.  Among the customers at Buddha Bar on March 14 were:

Buddha Bar had continued to open until 18:00 yesterday when the most recent order from the local government forced it to close until March 31.

Ciambella,

According to the Ministry of Health report the pilot works for Vietnam Airlines.  It's a small thing but as an expat I don't want locals to have even more reason to dislike us thinking it's a Brit working for a US airline.  Below is a straight cut and paste as it appears in the Ministry of Health website along with the typographical error.

As always I appreciate your information but I did want to clarify this one point.  It's possible the information is incorrect.

*  BN91 : Male, British national, 43 years old, living in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City is a pilot of Vietnam Airrline airline.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Ciambella,

According to the Ministry of Health report the pilot works for Vietnam Airlines.

Oh, thank you very much for spotting that.  I re-read my post twice and didn't catch the error even though in a post a few days earlier, I wrote correctly that he worked for Vietnam Airlines.

ISOLATION is now the official policy for all residents of HCMC/Saigon:

vnexpress.net/news/news/hcmc-leader-calls-for-fortnight-of-thrift-as-covid-19-fight-escalates-4074531.html

Ciambella wrote:

Will probably be accused of rumor mongering but word on the street here is that the Budda Bar Q2 days are numbered & wont open again certainly under that name anyways.
My partner Ms My  has her ear to the ground here in HCMC & now its been highlighted & brought into focus after the UK pilot corona infection thing just the bar name is causing some right bad feelings   Lots of chats on one of the monks (Tthich Nhat Tu) chat sites about it.
Sorry, dont ask me for a link she just showed me but I dont really have a clue what it was saying.

That's bad Karma for Buddha

goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Will probably be accused of rumor mongering but word on the street here is that the Budda Bar Q2 days are numbered & wont open again certainly under that name anyways.
My partner Ms My  has her ear to the ground here in HCMC & now its been highlighted & brought into focus after the UK pilot corona infection thing just the bar name is causing some right bad feelings   Lots of chats on one of the monks (Tthich Nhat Tu) chat sites about it.
Sorry, dont ask me for a link she just showed me but I dont really have a clue what it was saying.

Sounds like when Incombank changed their name to Vetinbank, just to get rid of its tarnished name.

goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

https://tv.tuoitre.vn/video-quan-bar-bu … -84089.htm

The Buddha Bar promised the church, wrong with the government
Quang Huy 11:21 26/03/2020 34
Information and Communication Committee of the Buddhist CITY HCM said the owner of the bar Buddha promised to change another name after the comment was condemned, however they were not made.
Of 36 positive CA with Covid-19 in HCMC HCM, there are 8 infections related to the Buddha bar (No. 7 Thao Dien Street, District 2). The number of exposures to the infected person increases every day.

In exchange for Zing.vn, the venerable center of the Vietnamese Buddhist Church communications COMMITTEE in HCMC HCM, confirms that it is impossible to accept the use of Buddha imagery to serve business purposes. In addition, from 2011, the owner promised to change the name of the inn when the debate and Buddhists condemned.

Insulting religious beliefs
Visited the Buddha bar during her stay, Ms. VU (27 years old, District 1, HCMC) HCM) said inside the bar, capital statues should only be put in the place of reverence to be justified in the dining area of the guests, bars and many other places. In particular, toilets are also used to decorate with images related to Buddhism

"Although it is not Buddhism, I find it very reflective. The Buddhists will surely feel the heart when they come here. No matter how good the food is, I and many people will not come back ", the guests once came to the Buddha bar outbreak before appearing to translate the Covid-19 pressing.

Quan bar Buddha that hua voi Giao hoi, sai pham voi chinh quyen hinh anh 1 bar.jpg
Interior view of the Buddha bar (District 2). Photo: Buddha Bar & Grill.
The venerable center of the Vietnamese Buddhist Church communications Committee in HCMC HCM, for or using images, the title "Buddha" (Buddha) at the bar of 7 Thao Dien Street (District 2) is unacceptable. The venerable focus on the work on many Buddhists is a serious injury and aggravation, the use of "Buddha" to set the bar has offended the religious beliefs for many people.

"For all Buddhists, the Buddha (Sanskrit is Buddha) is the word that bears the sacred meaning and the spiritual image revered. I believe that being hurt, insulting is the feeling of the crowd when witning the Buddha to set for dining and entertainment, "the master interested in the mind is sharing.

On 23/3, the Buddhist Church of Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City HCM has formal documents sent to the authorities of District 2 and departments relating to the licensing of the restaurant. However, since this time the entire city is in focus, against translating the Covid-19, the church has not received a response.

"It is difficult to accept, since after this location is declared a outbreak, many Buddhists, people have reflected with us. As head of the City Buddhist Communication board, the weekend I have reported with the administration of the Buddhist Church in Vietnam in HCMC. About the above-mentioned ", Mr. MINH is more interested.

Promise, wrong license name
Regarding the issue of the bar called Buddha located in District 2, the upper floor is interested in the center of information from 2011, the enlightened newspaper has noted the series of fierce condemnation of nuns, Buddhists, amateurs TP. When this place uses the name and the inappropriate decoration of this entertainment business point.

At the time of the above, the owner has been working with enlightenment, promising to have a correction, no use of that name.

"Owner of Bar Buddha at the moment of 2011 has worked with enlightenment and presented the reason for using the name and image Buddha. We explained that doing so is not suitable for Vietnamese culture, insulting the Buddhist , the owner promised to adjust, "and the Divine is interested in the sea.

After the meeting, the owner of the bar Buddha left the sea outside the sign. Recently, when information about the English male pilot Covid-19 (patients 91) and a series of positive people with related diseases bar, Buddhist about in HCMC HCM was once again outraged because it did not make a commitment and still use Buddha's name to promote its business.

Quan bar Buddha that hua voi Giao hoi, sai pham voi chinh quyen hinh anh 2 bdda.jpg
Bar Buddha closed behind the Covid-19 series of positive shifts. Photo: Quynh name.
According to the writing decision blockade paste in business establishments by the Chairman of the People's Committee Nguyen Phuoc Hung, it is a Thai restaurant called Bvddha. In exchange for Zing.vn, DISTRICT 2 Committee chairman confirms the basis on business license registration is the Thai food restaurant Bvddha, not the Buddha bar as the current activity.

It was by the inconsistency between the business license and the name, after the city asked the bars to stop operating on 15/3, this address is still open for guests as a cafeteria on papers.

"According to business license, this is a restaurant called Bvddha. If registered as the Buddha bar will not be granted because of a controversial religion, "said District 2 people's Committee chair.

Mr. Hung information from after detecting patients 91 positive with Covid-19 to this bar, the Steering Committee for Prevention Covid-19 District 2 continuously detects the F1 case.

"The county government is currently focusing on isolator and looking for people who are close to the Covid-19 positive at the bar. When the prevention, anti-translation of the county will look at the violations of this bar, "said District 2 people's Committee chair.

As noted by the reporter, the Buddha bar is closed from 19/3. Currently, the bar is active with online delivery on the official website of the shop.

Some things have bothered me during this outbreak.

Why were both Shanghai and Beijing hardly affected, yet cities half way around the world were?

Why have the Chinese stockmarkets risen, while the rest are floundering?

Why was President Jinping wearing only a mask when visiting affected areas, but others on the front line are wearing hazmat suits?

colinoscapee wrote:

Why were both Shanghai and Beijing hardly affected, yet cities half way around the world were?

Why was President Jinping wearing only a mask when visiting affected areas, but others on the front line are wearing hazmat suits?

Its a mystery.....

https://i.ibb.co/mDgyKxW/donald.png

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Its a mystery.....

https://i.ibb.co/mDgyKxW/donald.png

Something smells rotten in Denmark

colinoscapee wrote:

We only have the word of our clown overlords about how many are affected, and where.

Short sellers in China get disappeared and their PPT is more openly buying the market with basically no other market participants. And they don't have the same massive derivatives complex as the West.

Xi is just so awesome he only needs a flimsy mask, obviously  :lol:

Scripted load of bollocks from start to finish. Why no antibody testing? You'd think that would be fairly important data for tackling a viral outbreak, no?

Corona Rhapsody

Brick23 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

We only have the word of our clown overlords about how many are affected, and where.

Short sellers in China get disappeared and their PPT is more openly buying the market with basically no other market participants. And they don't have the same massive derivatives complex as the West.

Xi is just so awesome he only needs a flimsy mask, obviously  :lol:

Scripted load of bollocks from start to finish. Why no antibody testing? You'd think that would be fairly important data for tackling a viral outbreak, no?

Exactly!!

Ontheroad57 wrote:

That's bad Karma for Buddha

Sounds like Buddha bar may come back reincarnated even if no one reports them.

Brick23 wrote:

Why no antibody testing? You'd think that would be fairly important data for tackling a viral outbreak, no?

Apparently It's not that easy but it should be out soon.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal … SKBN21C1KKhttps://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgqp … rum-plasma

Hi there
I have attempting to find a Covid testing center here in HCMC with no luck at all visit the Pasteur Institute with my fiancee who has experience a fever and headaches for over 10 days ..this place was closed and the ph # listed came up unlisted..there are signs posted outside gate stating

Conducts Covid-19 Test But we do not directly take the specimens here or issue any Covid-19 Negative Certificate

If you have any  risk of infection please come to other hospitals for a full examination and Consultation..

This is Bullshit!!!

I cant believe I am unable to find a Hotline or Direct information on Testing stations here in HCMC or locations on any Embassy Websites Inc US - Aus - UK which I am a citizen of all 3..

We have visited the Family Medical ctr in Dist 1 over 2 weeks ago where they undertook blood tests & ECG tests

All came back clear ..Doctor prescribed a 14day course of Antibi for possible stomach bug causing fever.

We inquired re a Testing ctr they provided a sheet of contact phone # for Dist 1 Nott one of them knew what I was referring to when I mentioned Covid Testing..

WTF

Ubro_NYC wrote:

Hi there
I have attempting to find a Covid testing center here in HCMC with no luck at all visit the Pasteur Institute with my fiancee who has experience a fever and headaches for over 10 days ..this place was closed and the ph # listed came up unlisted..there are signs posted outside gate stating

Conducts Covid-19 Test But we do not directly take the specimens here or issue any Covid-19 Negative Certificate

If you have any  risk of infection please come to other hospitals for a full examination and Consultation..

This is Bullshit!!!

I cant believe I am unable to find a Hotline or Direct information on Testing stations here in HCMC or locations on any Embassy Websites Inc US - Aus - UK which I am a citizen of all 3..

We have visited the Family Medical ctr in Dist 1 over 2 weeks ago where they undertook blood tests & ECG tests

All came back clear ..Doctor prescribed a 14day course of Antibi for possible stomach bug causing fever.

We inquired re a Testing ctr they provided a sheet of contact phone # for Dist 1 Nott one of them knew what I was referring to when I mentioned Covid Testing..

WTF

This was just released.

Covid testing

They're also claiming to do testing at airport ,bus & rail stations & also road checkpoints.   Results in 15 minutes 🤓🤓🤓

How good are these test kits.??    Already there have been fake kits confiscated that were due for export.

I've seen kits advertised for $17 that include 50 test units.     You've got to wonder how accurate the figures here are. 

Vietnam, Cambodia ,Laos ,Myanmar , Hong Kong, Taiwan ,Macau ....all the closest neighbours to China ,, but the least affected.   

Lucky we've picked a good spot to hang our hats.......everywhere else they're dropping  like flies.

Must be something in the Bia Hoi that kills the bugs.

Ubro_NYC wrote:

Hi there

This is Bullshit!!!

WTF

Have you tried officially reporting signs and symptoms?

The official android app:

vnptit. innovation. ncovi in Google Play Store

There is also a website where you can register, but I don't have that link.

Maybe someone else can provide it.

Point being, I'm pretty sure if you make an official report you will both be picked up soon after.

As an aside, your anecdotal report is troubling, as it makes one wonder how many health care practitioners are dealing with untested but symptomatic people who haven't been officially reported as sick.

As a part of the process of reporting yourselves, be prepared to provide names, dates, times and locations of people who saw you for health care but didn't elevate your status with authorities.

Virus? What virus?

My neighbours just had a funeral. Lots of outsiders, service people. A little bit of sneezing and coughing.

Another neighbour packed up and left for a funeral just as this one was starting.
They just returned.

I drove through the local market on a beer run and it's fairly busy. Lots of people driving around.

A fair number of people with no masks.

I'm a half hour drive from Pham Ngu Lau  (Q.1, DeTham st.) so maybe people here
think the virus is a HCMC problem. They have regular drinking sessions, karaoke, evening chats. But funerals expose everyone to outsiders. We don't know anything about them and their virus risk.

My wife insisted I keep our balcony door closed throughout the funeral. I wear a mask now whenever I step onto the balcony.

A karaoke/ drinking session is just beginning now. Nobody wearing masks.

Quite the contrast to pictures of deserted cities with animals prowling around.
I guess I'll just hope for the best.

Strange times.

Ubro_NYC wrote:

I cant believe I am unable to find a Hotline or Direct information on Testing stations here in HCMC or locations

colinoscapee wrote:

This was just released.

Covid testing

The link doesn't provide any address so here are some of them:

1. Bệnh Viện Bệnh Nhiệt Đới (Hospital for Tropical Diseases) 764 Võ Văn Kiệt, Ward 1, District 5
2.  Bệnh Viện Nhi Đồng 1 (Children's Hospital 1) 341 Sư Vạn Hạnh, Ward 10, District 10
3.  Bệnh Viện Thống Nhất (Thống Nhất Hospital) 1 Lý Thường Kiệt, Ward 7, District Tân Bình
4.  Bệnh Viện Đại Học Y Dược (University Medical Center) 215 Hồng Bàng, Ward 11, District 5
5.  Bệnh Viện FV (FV Hospital) 6 Nguyễn Lương Bằng, Ward Tân Phú, District 7
6.  Trung Tâm Kiểm Soát Bệnh Tật 2 (Center for Disease Control 2) 699 Trần Hưng Đạo, Ward 1, District 5
7.  Trung Tâm Kiểm Soát Bệnh Tật Thành Phố HCM (Centers for Disease Control HCMC) 61 u Dương Lân, Ward 3, District 8

Also, as OceanBeach stated in his comment above, you can and should report the symptoms online. 

My suggestion, had you asked me, would've been the simplest and quickest way: walk your fiancée to your neighbourhood Ủy Ban Nhân Dân (People's Committee).  They will take care of her faster than anyone can, but she may be quarantined straight away.

FV Hospital D7...French / Vietnamese Hospital go there...good reputation!

Covid Testing HCMC
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post we appreciate your feedback here where it really seems no one is taking it seriously as VietCanada reported we experience the same thing in Dist 1 kidding running around with adults no masks ,,nightly beer and card games continue outside our apt ..

re:Onetherroad 57 mention re numbers reported in Asean  countries

thanks once again to the overall Expat HCMC community for your help

we shall overcome ;-)

Tommy

So, I read this article today:

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … 53984.html

And this evening we went for a walk as we do every night in the park.  There were three green shirts walking around.  The first time the passed us going the other way one pointed to my mask because I had it below my nose.

On the second lap around the lake they stopped us and one was chatting up my wife.  When it was all said and done and we went on our way she said they told her to be safe, try to exercise more in the streets and not in the parks because of density and to hang in there for three more days.   He said as long as there are no new cases discovered outside (not people in quarantine) they will likely roll back the lockdown.  I hope this is the case.

I certainly hope the government extends the social distancing rules for at least another 15 days, to the end of the month.  Academics say that as the incubation period could be as long as 15 days, you need to be shut down for double that to be sure of being rid of the virus.   If a government lifts restrictions in 15 days and someone who was infected just before the order went into effect became ill just as the order is lifted and then infect others, then the sacrifices of staying in for two weeks would be for naught.

The latest news the schools will only open in next june if all goes well!

Science Daily Article

"Median incubation period for COVID-19

Date:
    March 17, 2020
Source:
    University of Massachusetts Amherst
Summary:
    A new study calculates that the median incubation period for COVID-19 is just over 5 days and that 97.5% of people who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of infection. "

"The researchers examined 181 confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. They conclude that "the current period of active monitoring recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [14 days] is well supported by the evidence."

I'm not going to link it but this morning I read an article about a study of seasonal flues and corona viruses.

June to September is the period that regular flu viruses abate. Apparently SARS disappeared forever. I did not know that. MERS can still pop up in the infectious season.

January and February are the worst months.

Is Covid-19 seasonal? If so then one should plan on June for things to return to whatever version of normal awaits us.  IMHO

I hope three posts doesn't look like spamming but they are separate subjects and TLDR is a thing.

I recently stopped using Google since they seem incapable of giving me search results in English and the stalking thing. I now use DuckDuckGo. Their search home page has a link to all things Covid related and it's definitely worth a look.

Are you Serious
We have already been on Lockdown here in HCMC for effectivily 4 weeks as of the 15 April and you want us to go through another 15 days for WHAT!! no locals take this virus seriously everyone is still gathering groups and going about as usual ...The only difference is most of the stores restaurants and bars are closed .
The only thing by extending the shutdown will do is delay the opportunity of leaving HCMC to people who want to fly out of Vietnam..
Also it will bring more hardship on locals who have already lost their jobs and are living day by day.

The testing is not working anyway Have you tried to get tested here Its impossible!!!

All the report of numbers is FAKE... with a population of 1pprox 63 million and they have experienced NO Deaths related to Covid 19 and we are connected to China come on Really ?

What have deaths to do with sharing a border with China?

VietCanada wrote:

I recently stopped using Google since they seem incapable of giving me search results in English and the stalking thing. I now use DuckDuckGo.

The good thing about DuckDuckGo is that they supposedly do not track you or save your searches.  However replies from Google are usually more robust.  Have you tried using a VPN?  Google probably reads that you are with a Vietnamese ISP so they return results in Vietnamese even though your queries are English.  Accessing the internet through a VPN should get you results in English.