New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Spain forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Spain if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello,

I am from the US and looking at several post retirement locations, and Spain is one of them. I would appreciate any information regarding the immigration process for a US citizen. My timeline is 3 years.

Hi I am hoping to buy a property around Estepona to retire to with my partner we are mid 60's - I guess my thoughts are what type of property to buy, an Appartment, house, on a complex - we want to be close to the sea and restaurants and life in general. I worry I am building an unrealistic ideal into the reality of living there, there must be downsides ! We are not poor and not rich, just really tired after both working since we were teenagers. I guess I am looking for reassurance on this forum  that life is good, from people who have been brave enough to do it - we are hoping to be there within 6 months. If you have any advice on area, property type, pitfalls, I would be very grateful and buy you a beer when we finally get there !!

Hola ,soy de argentina y queria info de como comprar una propiedad en el pais vasco desde argentina y que tramites tengo que hacer para poder viajar una vez que adquiera la propiedad somos tres personas gracias

Fabian.  Please note this is an english language part of the forum

This is approximately your post:

“Hello, I am from Argentina and I want to know how to buy a property in the Basque country by a person from Argentina,  and what procedures do I have to do,  so that will not need to travel more than once I acquire the property”

Hola!
We are ex-pats living in Colombia to explore all that South America has to offer after living in Panama for over 3 years. Our next chapter of adventure will be Spain so we can travel and enjoy the European continent and more. Very happy to participate in this Spain forum.
Saludos!
John and Susan

Hi everybody. It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I am a law student from South Africa that currently lives in the Barcelona Province in Spain. I specifically live in an area called Sant Vicenc de Montalt with my family.

Hello
Me, my wife, young son and 2 dogs have decided to make the move over to Fuerteventura this year. We are in the process of selling our property here over in the UK and once this has completed we are good to go. We decided to choose Fuerteventura as we love the place. We will be looking to rent a property to begin with the view of purchasing at a later date once settled etc. We both run our own businesses here in the UK so seeking work will not be an issue, however, we will need to find out more info on if we have to declare earnings, etc.

Hello
  I've lived in the Torrent area, on the outskirts of Valencia for quite some time.  I happened to come across this community recently.  I'm passionate about sports, hiking, mountain climbing, live music and chill out. I play golf and work out 2-3 times a week, I'm sometimes on my bike, and love to go to concerts. I would like to improve my Spanish. Hope to meet like minded people and explore Valencia area.

Good afternoon from Tampa Bay, Florida!

I am a prospective nursing student looking to study in Valencia, Spain.

I'm originally from Florida; born and raised. I have previously lived in Costa Rica for a couple of years. Both places with immense Spanish history and influence.

I am very eager to get to Spain to study nursing. I have already been in touch with the University of my choice and they have been so gracious and helpful. I'm wondering if there are any of you who have already attained your student visa and have gotten acclimated and could share some advice and experiences with me?

Good Evening from Wet and Cold England.

Am looking at purchasing a property in Spain, initially for my Dad to retire and then later for me to move too probably 6 months a year whilst working contracts back in the uk the other 6 months.

Im currently looking at the northern Valencia (around Llíria maybe) as dont want to be city centre but still close enough for occasional visits.
will be coming to look round more in September so looking for recommendations on areas to check out (or avoid)

Hello I am Barbara Aidoo. I moved to Vigo, Spain with my family as my husband plays football here.

I am looking to make some English speaking friends here who are business minded.

🤗

Hi
I have joined the forum in the hope of getting the benefit of the experience of expats already living in Spain as well as some insight as to what looks likely to happen with our status once we are out of the transition period. I like the look of Alicante to Valencia region, so I expect my questions will be centred around that.

Cheers

DJ

Duke.  “ ........ some insight as to what looks likely to happen with our status once we are out of the transition period.”

If you tell us what your status is,   then I expect you will get some advice which is relevant to you.

Hello everyone!

My family  (Australian husband, 11 and 6 year-old) and me will be moving to the area between Altea and Denia and are looking for international schools for our bilingual kids and a nice area surrounded by nature where to live. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hello! I live in Spain and I want to work this few months in Denmark from July to September or October as some fruit picking job. Somebody can help?
I am a Thai massage therapist.

Hello and welcome! I am not far away from vigo. I live in Pontevedra. I am also willing to make new friends here. :D

Not new in Spain, so I hope I'll be able to help the newcomers.
If anyone is near Madrid and loves BMX, let me know, let's meet! :)

Hello, Barbara! I live in Pontevedra!

Hi everyone,
We are a bilingual family (French-American) with children under the age of 7 yo. We would love to be in contact with families who have made their move and being able to share their experience about lodging, how the kids fit in a new culture... etc

We are currently considering Begur but nothing is set and it could be another town in the region of Girona.... our timeline would be ideally September 2020 !

Thanks,
Géraldine

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please only use English on the anglophone forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello , My named is Myrna from Spain ...I am english teacher , about your question how to come here
this is a government history :
Spain is a party to the Schengen Agreement.This means that U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. Them you can chance to resident period in .
I can help you to know this pretty country ,,,,the people is nice ,,,,and there are delicious food.
Come in  ¡¡¡¡ see you ....

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com and thank you for your introductions :)

@Myrna Rossa: We have a dedicated section of the website for business partners in Spain. Please make sure to post a free advert there.

@all: To facilitate your move, or to help you in your day-to-day life if you are already an expat, I would advise you to take advantage of the Spain forum to seek information on expat-related topics by creating new threads or browsing through existing ones. Another great resource would be the Living in Spain guide which contains quite a wide range of articles from employment, visa formalities to health care. I would encourage each of you to browse through them to find all essential information needed to have a positive and successful expat experience.

Good luck,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hola todos,

My wife and I are looking to move to Spain from  England and have settled on Gandia Valencia province. Love the city but was hoping for a real life perspective from anyone who has moved and lives there. Thanks

Hi, I am Jorge. I live in Argentina. Looking for moving to Spain with my partner. She is from USA. We are looking for a pleasant place, near the sea, near a city with health services. We didn't decided yet the place. We are going to own our house and spend last days of our lives. Greetings to all of you!

Hello

My name is Tiffany, I am a 34 year old female and I am interested in moving to Madrid to take classes to become fluent in Castillian for 4 months to a year. I am hoping to acculturate well in to the country and move there permanently. I am half Persian half American and I am very attracted to this country because of the rich history and collectivistic culture. I was told Madrid is the best place to learn Castellano, but I am very attracted to the south, especially Sevilla, where I have heard that the culture is even more warm, friendly and easy going. I am hoping international travel from United States to Madrid opens up soon so I can take in person language classes in Madrid. I plan to take classes online from Madrid in the meantime :)

My name Jason but everybody calls me jake all my life since I was a little boy voming to Spain I always wanted to go there for good well in 2018 my mam past away with dementia and in 2019 my dad past away with cancer my mam & dad always said to me if anything ever happen to them was for me to go to spain and try and start a new life so I came to Malaga Centro last December to see what it was like there I stay all the way up till March 2oth this year when we had to leave cos of the coronavirus well now I want to come back and I am trying to find a job out there I am look ing for any labourers jobs or handyman job or factory work or any job that I know I could do I work all my life since I left school up until I left my last job after working 10 years in a warehouse job for a furniture company  to look after my mam and dad up until they past away

Where in America do you live? I am in Los Angeles, CA

Hi everyone,

from my own experience, I recomend to attend 'EOI' 'Escuela Oficial de Idiomas' an Interntional Language School which belongs to the Spanish Goverment - Spanish Education Board'

22 different languages to choose from. National branches around Spain. Lively lessons, great fun teachers, plus you get a final 'Official Goverment Attendance's Certificate' afterwards when you complete the course.

http://www.mad4madrid.com/how-to-surviv … e-idiomas/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuela_O … de_Idiomas:up:

Me too but Canaries.  Have yiu looked inti removal companies?

Hi!
Currently looking to move to northern spain. Here doing some research on stuff like:
• Internet speeds / reliability
• What was / is the COVID lock down like in and around Santander / Gijon / Vigo
• Where is a good site to look for short term houses for rent
• Great schools for kids
• Cost of living in and around those cities
• Meet cool people
• And learn as much as possible
:)

Thanks for having this forum!

Hello,
My name is Peter and I have lived in Spain for twenty years. I lived in San Miguel de Salinas but recently moved to Sucina in Murcia to be with my partner Susannah.
I love the life here in Spain and would never dream of returning to the UK.
I wish you all well.

Hi Peter, keep enjoying your stay there

Hello,

All my life i have been dreaming of relocating to an European Country and Spain is my goal. i am new at the forum, and see others experiences and dreams as i see mines to one day be fulfilled. I know searching and studying the moves is a plus, and so I read posts with hopes to enrich myself with info.

I've been in contact with someone from Alicante and although her current living situation is a bit tide due to not been able to find a more suitable job, it seems that it's way less stressful than here in the US, simpler life. I am very social and love to learn, but also notice job market it's very limited out there to pretty much IT, hotel hostess or even nannies.

Perhaps making the right connections will help me work quicker on my goal to move to Spain. If someone would like to guide me that'll be greatly appreciated. I know there is a process to everything and this is one of them.

Talk to you all, soon.

Greetings from the US's East Coast ✌

Advice please
Hi all, new to the group. I have rather unique question. Im aware that some if not all of the answers maybe judgemental, thats human nature. I am an hgv driver in the UK. Was. Last year I was servicing my car on my property on private land off the road. It was a weekend lovely sunny day, and i thought some nice wine whilst listening to music would be a good idea, right? WRONG! Several hours later, and copious amounts of wine, her majesties finest wandered onto the land, the keys were in the ignition, engine was running. Regardless of my vociferous protests, they breathalysed me. Showing me almost 3 times over the legal limit in Scotland of 24mg. Banned. Possession of a vehicle with intention to drive. 2 years big fine. OK, so im now thinking of maybe relocating to a different country, preferably spain spent a lot of time there with armed forces and have fond memories. Ive done a wee bit of research and so far as I can tell from UK.GOV website, I can gain a licence and drive in a foreign country, but cannot drive with that licence in the UK. Which isn't an issue for me as I'd have no cause to return. I would obviously have regain my hgv licence equivalent in Spain. Its a difficult one, im sure there will be some that look down on my predicament, but I am not, nor have I ever been a drink driver. But hgv driving is all ive ever done since armed forces, my family are all grown up. Im single, so im thinking the timing could be right? Except for maybe brexit and coronavirus of course. Thank you all for reading this. Hope you are all well and staying safe

Milanga

I
On the spanish news today it was announced spain is losing jobs at three times that of any other EU country.   And is before the very high existing unemployment rate.

Hi  all My name is George
I'll be 74 on Oct 6.  I currently live in Virginia  Beach Virginia USA.  I was still active as a booking agent for Reggae and world music artists until Covid shut the business down. My son and daughter graduated from Virginia Tech and  promptly moved to Spain to work for the government teaching English.  My daughter 6 years ago and my son  about 5.  I would visit them on years they did not come here and we would take road trips to explore the country.
My daughter Lydia  (30) moved to Tenerife about a year ago and recently  married a nice local man. My son Ivan (28)  just arrived to live  and work in Tenerife . Now they are urging me to make the move and it is mighty tempting. I visited and loved it there.  Sometime next year I should be ready to make the move.
Feel free to find me on Facebook or message me.
I just joined this site so I have no idea what to expect
Cheers
George Michailow

Hello - so happy to have found this forum!

My husband and I have decided to relocate from San Francisco to Madrid as soon as we have things tied up here. If all goes as planned that should be possible by the end of 2021/beginning of 2022.

Even though it's still a ways off in the future we've started looking into different neighborhoods where we'd like to settle. We already know we love Chamberi and sort of have our hearts set on Trafalgar, but are investigating the rest of the neighborhood as well. We've also done some preliminary searches into Arguelles, Palacio, Embajadores, Conde Duque, Jeronimos, Castellana, and Recoletos. We'd like to be near the city center but not right in the thick of everything. We're both in our 40s and coming around to 50 faster than we care to admit so, while we want to have easy access to the center, we are looking for somewhere a little bit quieter.

If anybody has some insight about what daily life is like in any of these neighborhoods, or thinks we may be missing out on a different, great neighborhood we are all ears.

Can't wait for the next chapter!

If you have not done so, take a look at the EU rules got family reunification.   

I believe that would provide an easier MO   to get permission to reside.

Hi George,
My husband Andrew and I hope to retire to Spain (somewhere near Dania) on the coast in three more years.  Tenerife looks beautiful.  We are planning an exploratory trip (was for Sept but airline cancelled), so we've rescheduled to May 2021.  If you are seriously considering moving there first go to the website of the Spanish Consulate that will be your location, once you have all documents to make your appt for a visa, (it might be in D.C.) and if you are retiring search the requirements of a "non-lucrative visa."  There are financial requirements, requirements for health insurance (proven by bank records), an address of a place to live, airline tickets, and other documents some of which have to be officially translated, with an apostle seal, etc. Then your appt. and granting of the visa have to be timed with your airline ticket.  We live in CA, so we have to deal with the Los Angeles Consulate.  Requirements are tricky but not impossible.  I would be super excited  for a new life there if I were you, as you already have family there.  Best of luck to you!

Donna

Closed