Obtaining Padron and residency

Hi,
Moved over in Jan and am in a short term let until I get everything sorted.
I have opened a bank account and obtained my NIE. Next step is the Padron which is causing a bit of a problem. I know what is needed but what I don't have is a rental agreement. I rented through a friend of a friend so being an informal arrangement and me not knowing what Padron meant just went along with it..
I've approached solicitors to get one drawn up but they want 250 euros! They already handled the NIE for me which was costly and am thinking the rental agreement charge is a bit OTT.
I need the Padron before I can apply for residency and there is also a 2 month backlog on residency appointments in Murcia. Can't get my S1 sorted until then as one goes with the other and I will be running out of medication by then too!
I digress. Getting back to Padron is there anywhere I can get a template rental agreement? I understand it needs to be in Spanish and hoping it would just be a question of adding names, addresses, passport numbers, NIE's etc in the right places and get it signed.
I now know why the rain forests are being depleted with all the reams of paper churned out here!
Thanks
John

A friend of mine is living free in an apartment owned by my son.     He gave my friend a letter in Spanish to say he has allowed him to live rent free in his apartment.   There is no written agreement of any description. 

With the letter my friend registered on the padron   Job done.  No fees

Just in passing, and I think I explained this before.  One does not need an NIE to register on the EU Citizens.   If one has an NIE  then that number becomes the number on the EU citizens cert. if not then the number on the certificate ( green paper ) is the NIE

Technically one cannot Register on the padron until they are resident.  The padron is the list of people living ‘permanently' in the municipality.  One cannot be resident without registering on EU Citizens Register

Hi Johncar.
it seems I can't get anything done until I get Padron. I also need to buy a car to get around and the place I want to live permanently is a bit far out.
If I can get my friend's friend to provide such a letter does he have to provide evidence that he owns the property such as deed plus copy?
I've been told that landlords now have to provide their NIE plus copy, copy of their proof of signature, IBI , water and electric bill. This is on top of what I have to provide.I think the authorities are clamping down here and heard tales of people being turned away for the slightest thing.

You are making your life so complicated.

To be on the padron you must show you live in a town.  That is all.

So a letter from the owner of the property where you are living must be enough:  They will be registered with the townhall for local taxes so they know who the owner is.   

When my friend registered,  as I thought I made clear,  all he had was a letter signed by son.

Thanks Johncar.
I really don't want to make my life difficult! It seems others are doing that for me.
There is so much information or misinformation out there that it does send my head into a spin.

I would suggest you decide who is giving you the correct advice and forget all the rest  otherwise you will become even more confused

NB Do think, no matter how much you pay, that advice from ‘professionals' will be correct.   

We have a saying in Spain that if you ask five experts you will get six different answers, all of them wrong

Haha very true. I much prefer your simpler guide to dealing with the authorities. Reckon some of these "experts" make it overly complicated to line their pockets.

For the residence certificate, in Murcia, just go to Yecla Police Station (once you have your padrón) no need for an appointment.

Having a registration on a padron is not a requirement for EU Citizen Registration

Thoughout Spain an EU national needs :-

sufficient income
Full medical cover
The completed EX 18
The proof of payment of the fee
Original valid passport  and a copy

I repeat :-
Technically one cannot Register on the padron until they are resident.  The padron is the list of people living ‘permanently' in the municipality.  One cannot be resident without registering on EU Citizens Register

You'd better have a word with your old police chums at Yecla then John because they ask for one. Oh, and in Murcia City too. And they are very specific about how, for instance, you show your wealth as distinct from your income.

Culebronchris

I am just quoting  what the the Ministerio de la extranjería say.   All such matters are governed by that department, and they send the same instructions to all Extranjerías.

I am aware some people, including legal professionals, misunderstand what they are told are the requirements,  so tend to misquote.

Be that as it may go to Yecla, or Murcia, without a padrón and you won't get what you went for.

Having just recently completed this process in Girona, I have first hand experience of the process. I also had interpreters with me so that the information received was fully understood. Firstly it was made clear that each Extranjeria does NOT have the same requirements. Secondly I had to get on to the padron in order to apply for residencia. To get on to the padron I needed my NIE which I already had, an address (I stay with a friend and she owns the apartment, so I had to have her deeds with me plus her signature), and my passport. Once that was settled (it was done thru the town hall in twenty minutes) I then had to show a balance of over 5,000 euros in my bank account (UK ac was fine), health cover (as a uk pensioner I had my S1 form), my padron papers, a completed EX-18 form and a copy of my passport. Once I had all this the process took 10 minutes and I was handed my green residencia card.
My son and his family are moving to Spain. He needs to get the NIE first. According to my very helpful policeman he needs a lease, (They call this a motivo), a copy of his passport plus a completed EX-15 form.
To the best of my knowledge and personal experience this is the process in Girona. Hope it helps. BTW both forms can be downloaded - just do a search on google;)

I will not post now with regard to U.K. nationals as things are uncertain to say the least !

I do not want to appear argumentative but I  have worked with the national police for 20 years assisting with documentation applications as well as helping those who need other police support, including reporting crimes.  I therefore have considerable knowledge of what the various requirements are. 

The Province  where I live and work has suspended  all applications for EU Citizen Registration and has cancelled all such appointments which were arranged for after 29th March,  because they do not know what will be required

PS.  ‘Motivó' is a reason.

Renting a property for a stay of less than 3 months, is just one such.  Intending to do so or to buy a property, open a bank account etc are some of the other reasons which justify an application for an NIE. 

However MOVING or intending to MOVE to spain is not, because that  requires an application to live here.  As I said everything may change for UK nationals, depending on Brexit. As of NOW no one knows what will happen.

Regarding the costly NIE application handled by a lawyer mentioned by OP...I just wanted to say the best way is to apply at the Spanish Consulate in your home city before coming over to Spain. Mine cost about 9 euros and they sent me an email 11 working days later and asked me to pick up. And they were friendly, helpful and speak your language. This was last month.

The application for an NIE requires an EX15, thats a one page form, one's original passport and a copy and. the confirmation of payment of the fee, about 10 € made at any bank in
Spain

This covers NIE and EU Citizen Registration. NB the later may be about to change as a result of Brexit.   The info about NIEs remains the same

(This applies to almost all of Spain   Cádiz i know is an exception  )

TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE POLICE FOR  NIE,  E.U. Citizen registration, etc.
As you go through you will find links to the application forms and the payment form (No. 790) you can pay at any bank.
Click on `aceptar´ or `entrar´  to move on to next page.

.•            GO TO   https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus/

•             PROVINCES AVAILABLE:       CHOOSE the province where your are living/ staying

•             SECTIONS AVAILABLE IN PROVINCE:          OPEN PAGE AND SELECT SECTION  REQUIRED

e.g.    “policía  certificado de residente o no residente”  (that includes NIE application)

•             ENTER THE DETAILS OF APPLICANT. if you have an NIE show that, if not then show your passport number

•            CHOOSE NATIONAL POLICE STATION FOR APPOINTMENT:      The one that covers the area where you are living - staying

•             CHOOSE APPOINTMENT,  AND THEN CONFIRM

•             You must PRINT A COPY OF THE APPOINTMENT,   And take it with you to the police station

You can find info here in English about completing the EX15

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados … 0GUIDE.pdf

Hi all,
I have obtained my Padron and Residencia this week so would like to post my experience. It's rather long so apologies if you fall asleep reading it.
I am renting an apartment from an English couple who are living in UK so I needed extra documents and picked these up from their lawyers who were acting as attorney when I went to sign the agreement.

PADRON at Torre Pacheco Murcia
Original rental agreement and copy.
My NIE and copy
Passport and copy
Copy of Power of Attorney
Copy of each Landlord's NIE
Copy of each Landlord's passport ( luckily attached to copy of Power of Arttorney).
Copy of IBI receipt
Copy of Water account
Copy of Electricity account
Proof that I had paid first month's rent ( ATM print out).
All was going well until they checked the IBI and pointed out although it had been paid it hadn't been paid by the landlords! Lots of head shaking going on and my interpreter was looking perplexed. However the landlords lawyers had also provided me with a copy of the Escritura which I had brought along just in case.  The property had been bought from a bank and it was the bank that had paid the IBI before my landlords purchase had gone through. This was accepted and I finally got the Padron and had to pay at the machine to get a receipt in readiness for me to collect the certificate the fiollowing Monday.
I should mention this was the second time I attended the offices as the first time we were turned away as the place was rammed and although it was noon and they close at 2.30 they were taking no more appointments! The following day was a bank holiday so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

RESIDENCIA
Passport and copy
Padron and copy
NIE and copy
Rental agreement and copy ( just in case)
Form S1 and copy (as I am a pensioner)
Photo ID the one the size of a postage stamp and not UK passport size.
Completed application form ( my interpreter had done this and paid the processing fee).
Proof of income which was in the shape of printed bank statements of Spanish account and UK account as only been in Spain for 2 and half month's. Only have internet banking so had to print out downloaded statements.
The income proof caused a problem as they wanted a certified stamped copy from the Spanish bank with proof of how much was in there. This did annoy me as I was in my Sabadell branch the day before asking for this for my residencia and they said it wasn't necessary. All they seemed to be interested in was selling me car rental! This meant we had to go out and find a Sabadell branch in Murcia town and ask for the certificate and come back afterwards. So off we trekked and upon finding a branch I had to pay a commission of 3euro 63 cents for the certificate. I wasn't going to argue the toss that I already pay 30 euros a quarter charges and get zilch for the money on deposit as I just wanted to crack on. I  was then told there was a problem as she could order the certificate but it wont be ready until tomorrow. This caused a lot of conversation with my interpreter and she finally printed out some other explanation and a copy of my official statement  both duly rubber stamped after i had authorised payment of the commission.
Hot footed it back to the offices ( a couple of miles away) and presented the "certificates" which were accepted along with my signatures and fingerprint!
I wouldn't mind so much but when you are facing a 50 mile round trip if something goes wrong it's no fun.
I will be changing my bankers when I get the chance but need to sort out my driving licence next.
Happy days and the sunshine makes it all worthwhile :)

Well done digger bit for the benefit of others

A great deal of the process which digger had outlined is totally unnecessary for what he required.   Therefore do not be mislead into believing to register on the padron and or to obtain EU Citizen Registration is that complicated.   If it where then the great number of people, with very little or no
Spanish, who have done it themselves would have given up

Digger please forgive me for not explaining step by step what I believe you did that was unnecessary as that might make it too complicated for others 

PS just a reminder.   I have worked with the national police for twenty years assisting people so I speak from considerable experience

@digger79

Hi there,

Just after the last lockdown I helped a Dutch traveller get the padrón (he didn't speak any Spanish). He was vacationing in Spain during the wintertime and needed one in order to renew his vaccine here in Spain. So I accompanied him to the ayuntamiento's population services and we filled in a first form wherein he just stated that he was living in his campervan on a certain spot! No NIE, no proof of residence asked...nada. Just his passport, the licence plate number of his "autocaravana" and the address where he camped! Two weeks later they had him come over again to recuperate the padrón certificate. Now I do not know if the administration just made an exception during those strange times, but if it can be that straightforward it seems to me that they are indeed making things difficult for you...

I do hope that things will work out eventually!