British Expat having a baby in the US

Hi All,

I am after some advice on the process I need to follow when having a child in the US.

Both myself & my husband are British citizens. When our baby is born, what do I need to do to ensure that the baby is also registered in the U.K.?

Is it possible for the baby to gain duel citizenship and have both a US & UK passport?

Any guidance or personal experience doing the same thing would be much appreciated.

Thank you!


Get several notarized copies of the birth certificate please.
You need to register the birth at the UK Embassy and apply for a passport. You need to apply for a US passport as well. US citizen exits/enters the US with the US passport. UK citizen enters and exits the UK with the UK passport.
You may want to get your emergency documents as in last and living will and temporary and permanent guardian in place.

New topic