Cohabitation

Hello and good day ! Im trying to apply cohabitation with my partner but it seems like some issue going on. How do you manage to obtain the single certificate ? Being muslim?

If anyone is from Malaysia could you please share your experience? Any kind of help would do thank you!

Affidavit of celibacy, i.e. proof that you are at present not legally married (a notarized affidavit notarized by a notary public).
==> civil status certificate

If you're divorced, you'll need to give the certificate/act from the judge or any civil official paper that state that you're officially divorced.
If you're widow, you'll have to give the certificate of death too.

Hi Alex, thank you for the info however i just checked that if I need the certificate usually its for marriage purposes. Since im muslim the cohabitation is not recognized in Malaysia hence I was wondering what was the reason that has been used in order to obtain this letter from the religious officer if anyone has faced it before :) thanks alex!

Religion has nothing to do with it as it is not recognized in Europe.
Only civil right matters.

It seems you don't understand what a legal cohabitation in Belgium is.
Cohabitation is a kind of "light mariage" in Belgium, with rights and obligations towards the laws and your partner.
This is a civil status in Belgium, recognized as a partnership in several other countries in the world, and you'll be registered as a member of the family of your partner!

They're few mandatory things to proof in order to be eligible to do a legal cohabitation:
* Both certificate of birth (to proof you're both 21 years old+ and to register in Belgium)
* Both civil status that proof you're both "single", polygamy is forbidden.
* Your Insurance for your stay
* His registered loan or his certificate of ownership (apartment/house)
* Your medical certificate
* Your criminal record
* The financial proofs that your partner can take you in its care
* Hundred of proofs that you know each other, are talking daily/all the time, have seen each other at least 3 times these last 2 years, with a minimum of 45 days or you have a child together or you've already lived 1 year together:
- A copy of both passports with all the immigration stamps to proof the relationship
- A lot of pictures together
- A complete history of relationship (that can be included in the invitation letter of your partner or the cover letter that you'll write)
- Phone call/video history
- Flight tickets / hotel / trip together
- Gift / money send / ...

The goal of a legal cohabitation with a foreigner is to "establish a lasting life relationship".

Hey alex!

Thank you for your opinion. I do know it has nothing to do with religion and i do know all the requirements :) if you read carefully on my post regarding getting the single certificate in Malaysia being muslim is not the same as other. That is why Im asking if theres any Malaysian here who had the same situation and experience in getting the single certificate.

Have a bless friday!

Hey Didy

Ok ok, but I'm just telling you that you need a civil act/certificate that states that you're single, even if coming from a muslim country.
Nearly every country can provide it, especially a rich one like Malaysia! (it would be more difficult for country at war where administration lost too much records, ... such as Vietnam in the past, Afghanistan, Iraq, ...)
That's also the case for other muslim countries such as Moroco, Iran, Indonesia ... and nearly every country in the world, and I'm 99.99% sure that Malaysia too.

So, it's just an official paper from your government / local administration / police / ... with an official stamp/seal on it that certified: "unregistered marriage / single".

You do have an ID card, right? So it means that your government know about you because of your certificate of birth.
So, you can also request a copy of your certificate of birth from your administration/police/government, as they know you, right?
So, then you can request a certificate of your civil status!

And if they don't know what paper to give, tell them that you need the same papers than if you would be going to marry abroad. That they would understand, I assume :cheers:

And of course, you'll need to legalized all your papers at the ministry of foreign affair in KL, and then by the Embassy before leaving Malaysia. (+ translation if not in English)

You can also contact the embassy to request further information.