Home decoration ideas for expats in Sweden

Hello,

After moving to Sweden, setting up home and turning your accommodation into your personal abode can be a great way to start off your new life and feel at home. We would like to know whether expats are keen on decorating and furnishing to warm up their space whether for the festive season or all year-round.

Upon renting a new apartment or house in Sweden, do you redesign your accommodation to suit your taste? Are your choices influenced by price, climate, etc…?

Have you brought any interior decoration items from your home country or did you consider buying any once in Sweden?

As an expat in Sweden do you find it worthy to invest in home decor? Could you share what you have bought and perhaps some interesting places to shop for home decor?

How would you describe the local style of decoration? Have you picked up any item which reflects the local style?

Would you be inspired by the festive season to decorate and add a festive touch to your living space?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Home decoration is not my thing at all but we should respect these typ of questions that the team ask from us. There are more than 17k members in Sweden forum but only few of them (two to be precise) are willing to share something. I don't understand why? Is it that hard to spend half an hour or some to write something?   

However when I was married my wives (married twice) took care of the house as they want I never interfered and hardly ever noticed anything new or changed at home. I only drove them and followed them as a donkey around Ikea or places like that and I can't even remember what we had or didn't have at home.

However now when I have moved to my old simple farmhouse I prefer to buy old stuff from flea market or from other places like that, very old stuff 100 to 200 years old, almost everything I have in my 200 year old farmhouse are very old which I try to match the place with simple, old and robust stuff which were handmade by real Nordic old school carpenters with their primitive tools with genuine creativity in it and many people who had used them are now long gone and I like to have it in that way, I never change the old original simple out of fashioned look or repair them. I have an old school bench that students who had used it back then in early 1900s had written their names and different kind of things. However before this post become abnormal off topic I should find the full stop button. I no longer celebrate festive seasons either, I only did it when my kids were small. So I'm very sorry Bhavna I have nothing more to contribute here but at least I tried.