Living in Sweden

You are living in Sweden, or you used to live in Sweden.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Sweden?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Sweden?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Sweden?

Thanks in advance for your participation

I have lived as a 'British expat' in Sweden since 2007 (my partner is Swedish & still working, although I have retired)

My life in Sweden has been very unhappy, and I look forward to perhaps returning to my own country.

Based on my experiences, Swedes are unfriendly, unwelcoming and rude - once they know YOU are not Swedish. I personally have been pushed out of the way in queues, and been 'waved away' by people when my Swedish is not as good as it should be.

When I retired, I bought a property near Uppsala for me and my partner to renovate and live in. I feel I was 'taken advantage of' in the house conveyancing process, and then again when we employed builders to do work.

My comment to anyone coming to live here is: the Swedes love you to sign 'contracts' for services, so make sure you fully understand whats in it!

Everywhere, there are 'barriers': if you want to erect a certain type of fence, you need permission, if you want to construct a new bathroom, you need to pay someone to come and say its OK, etc, etc

Sorry this sounds so negative, but I'm at the end of my endurance here!

I am sorry to hear that things are not going very well with your experience living in Sweden. :|

I soon plan to move to Sweden to join my boyfriend there and I hope that mine will be a much better experience :)

It is quite unfortunate that at this modern day people still are still unfriendly that friendish is  still based on race, culture, religion & etc.
For me I do ignore this kind of people. you let them understand that they are nothing to you too.

My husband is Swedish. My son and I moved here only a couple of months ago. I don't speak Swedish, I use English everywhere I go. And to be honest, I have NEVER been treated like a 'worse being' or someone of lower class. People are helpfull everywhere I go, they try their best. Even my tax office business was conducted in English, and was done so swiftly I was amazed. Perhaps it is your attitude? I am one of those 'jokers'. Yes, Swedish people are a little 'stand-offish' but they seem to see that I mean no harm and I manage to make them smile. Which helps, because I am remembered in restaurants and stores, and am always greeted with more than a warm welcome.
I love living here. My son also doesn't speak Swedish and has started halfway through 1st grade in a local Swedish primary school. He also doesn't have a single thing to complain about. He was welcomed with open arms.
Put it this way, if you don't like living somewhere, it DOES show. People feel it. It's like with dogs - they can sense that you are scared.
And contracts - no one forces you to sign them. Yes, you need permission for things, but that's just the way the system works, laws vary from country to country. It's something you have to deal with.
I don't mean to sound 'bitchy', but perhaps you just need a friend...

Hi Folks! Afraid I share 'Highters216's experience of living in Sweden - they really don't like 'outsiders' and while I am pleased for '01agata' that life has been so good, thats beside the point
Surely you shouldn't doubt people's "attitude" and suggest their misfortune is all their fault, if all they are doing is passing on experiences in good faith?
I'm sorry I joined this forum if this is the level of debate...

.....So 'no one forces you to sign contracts'? (01agata) Yeah right! If you don't sign you don't get anyone to turn up at all in Sweden to do your work. And then, if product/service is no good and YOU 'want out' of the contract, you have to pay compensation.
Trouble is, Sweden is a country where relations between customer and service/product provider are often turned on their head: its not the customer that has to be satisfied, but those providing the service!
I had a small flat outside Stockholm (until I left in 2007) which needed a lot of renovation - which I thought the Swedish builder was going to do, until he told me that stripping it out wasn't part of the contract, some of the fitting wasn't part of the contract - in fact I reckon I paid a lot of money for no more than having some of the materials delivered!
(Contract was all in Swedish - but builder assured me orally that what I wanted, he would do: he didn't, and I didn't have a leg to stand on)

From 1935 until 1976, Sweden forcibly sterilized 63000 people -the 'socially undesirable', 'vagabonds' gypsies' (etc) to protect Nordic Aryan stock (according to Dagens Nyheter newspaper, 20 & 21 August 1997).
What are all you people on about? Consider this: the Swedes might decide to reintroduce this policy if any of them read this website!
Just a thought.

:)

Ok, so I see some people HAVE taken it the wrong way. My point was and is, attitude - when you don't realy want to be somewhere, you become defensive. And this is how we all get. Going back to the contracts matter - honestly, I'm not surprised that this is how it works. It is their way and has been for years, please don't expect it to change. If you are unhappy with it, don't hire the Swedish, get someone Polish to do the work. It will be cheaper, faster, no contracts. But then again, there is no guarantee the work will get done the way it should, but your chances are high.
Put it this way, if you don't like it, leave. The world is full of amazing places where things are easier. You have your choices. No one is forcing you to be here, or anywhere else for that matter. But that is just 1 thing I don't get - WHY would ANYONE stay ANYWHERE and just be so unhappy and frustrated??? I lived in Poland for 11 years, got sick of it and left! Make the most of your life and be happy. Do something for yourself.

(Contract was all in Swedish - but builder assured me orally that what I wanted, he would do: he didn't, and I didn't have a leg to stand on)...

p.s. why would you sign something you don't understand?? You may as well sign your soul over to the devil....

'Highters216' started this discussion by giving a personal view of experiences in Sweden - which anyone is entitled to do - and talked of "returning to my own country".

Really don't know why you are being so critical of someone's personal feelings and views, and are shouting so much - unless you are one of those people that ALWAYS has to have the final say...?

Not being critical, this is a forum, and we exchange views. But when someone writes
"...Swedes are unfriendly, unwelcoming and rude - once they know YOU are not Swedish. I personally have been pushed out of the way in queues, and been 'waved away' by people when my Swedish is not as good as it should be...." then I do take offense. I know a lot of Swedes, have not being criticized for not knowing the language or pushed out of queues, or waved away.

Also,
"....Everywhere, there are 'barriers': if you want to erect a certain type of fence, you need permission, if you want to construct a new bathroom, you need to pay someone to come and say its OK, etc, etc...."

As I said, it's the way it is. Nothing you can do to change it
and if someone doesn't want to be here then they shouldn't be.

Kangaroo88, I'm starting to wonder if YOU are happy....

I put a warning on this discussion.

This forum is made to share information about life in Sweden, and help people who would like to live there.

Negative posts/discussions and are not really appreciated as they don't help anybody. If we judge that the thread turns into a "complains list only" (or worse), we will react very quickly.

Hello.

I would agree with 01agata, as I think she is being quite rational, and not emotional or offensive, as others would accuse her of being.  Every country that you go to is what you make of it, and we're (most of us) free to travel to other locations.  I would like to know if it is really difficult to find a job in Sweden.  English is my native language, and I speak almost fluent Spanish.  My wife speaks English quite well, and Spanish is her native language.  We're both interested in being Spanish teachers, but are unaware of the possibility of doing so in Sweden.  Is there a market for that?  I have seen quite a few of the Folkschules and private academies offering Spanish courses.  Any advice at all on the general job market about such things would be helpful.  We are looking to move to the Jonkoping area, but we are flexible.  Thank you very much for anytime used in reading and responding to my post.

Thank you, much appreciated!!!
If you are after a job, many companies require Swedish. I have seen ads for English teachers, haven't really looked for Spanish... If you have a degree and any other paper such as CELTA then it shouldn't be too difficult. Though I am unsure as to the Jonkoping area. It is smaller than Stockholm, which could be both good and bad. Good as the competition most probably won't be as fierce, bad as the market may not be as big....
GOOD LUCK!!

p.s email me and I might find some sites for you

Yeah, native Swedes are a little standoffish. But don't take it personally, they are like that with anyone new they meet. Maybe it's living so near to Russia that does it. Don't expect warm greetings in streets and supermarkets, it's just not their way. When I first arrived I thought that everyone hated me. Took me a long term to realise it wasn't a personal thing. And even longer to realise that an uncomfortable silence is a perfectly acceptable form of conversation. So, it's not all bad.

In agreement, but adding on to what 'Gplusa' has written above-- Swedish people do seem a bit "standoffish" however it is just part of the culture. My Swedish friends have explained it as if they do not know you then why should they make eye contact and speak with you unless needed. However with that being said- Swedes can make for really good friends. Because they do not become instantly friends with everyone, usually their groups of friends are really close and genuine. Like 'Gplusa' also stated- periods of silence in conversation are viewed more positively than negative. When I started dating a Swedish I was quick to fill the gaps of silence with meaningless discussion due to my cultural upbringing. However this was viewed as more annoying than anything and I was quickly told it. But it is something that is better to know than not at all. The Swedish friends I have are without a doubt some of my best friends.

Hello.. I just moved to stockholm and plan on taking Swedish class offered by SFI.  Has anyone taken a class offered by the SFI?  I am also interested in making and meeting new people.

Welcome to your new home. I've been through SFI at 2 different locations. Varying techniques and impressions. But it's an excellent way to start from scratch. Depending on how you approach it, and the approach of the teachers, you may find it to be too fast, or too slow. Not a whole lot that you can do about that. There's a degree of self study which can hurry things along, but a large part of it is governed by the slowest or least motivated person in the class.

I studied partly through full time day classes, and then through part time night classes. Due to work.  There was a big increase in the quality of student involvement during the evening classes. Mainly because most people were either working or studying at a university. So they were motivated and wanted to achieve quickly. That wasn't always the way during the day classes when many were not in a great hurry.

As far as time goes, it's going to take you about a year to complete everything. Again, depending on your environment. But it's well worth completing because it's nationally recognised, and employers understand what it means.

Good luck

I find the Swedes extremely helpful and pleasant. Ofcourse, you will find a few bad apples but overall my experience here has been pleasant.

I have also lived in Germany. There is a light year of difference btw the Swedes and the Germans as far as how you will be treated.

kangaroo88 wrote:

From 1935 until 1976, Sweden forcibly sterilized 63000 people -the 'socially undesirable', 'vagabonds' gypsies' (etc) to protect Nordic Aryan stock (according to Dagens Nyheter newspaper, 20 & 21 August 1997).
What are all you people on about? Consider this: the Swedes might decide to reintroduce this policy if any of them read this website!
Just a thought.

:)

you make me laugh..look under what conditions the abos live ,and what about the 100000 waiting for public housing in Aust. or the tens of thousends waiting years for dental care ?etc,etc..
And you're criticising a civilized country like Sweden ..

Got that right, Itchy. Very few of the "colonies" are in a position to be casting stones about historical treatment of people within their countries. Besides, if life was that good at home, we wouldn't be here on an ex-pat website.

How about living cost? It seems like someone moved someone else's post asking for "Living Cost in Sweden?"...

I am going to study(master's degree) in Stokholm, Sweden and want to know how much I should expect to pay for living expenses for every month...

Im one of those people who can take lots of hate from people and give love back, so I don't think I would have any problem with cold masked people in Sweden lol! But thanks for the caution about cold welcome in Sweden! Iv heard worse in England, so I know I am ready~

I don't know if cold welcome is a truely accurate description of Swedish people. Not from an English perspective. A cold person from an English country is usually being that way deliberately. Not so in Sweden. Different gene pool, I guess, but they are just not naturally socially aggressive. If that makes sense. I've found that many Swedes will not feel comfortable initiating social contact with a new person. But they will happily follow your lead. That's been my experience. If you sit back waiting, it may well never happen.

Everything's expensive in Sweden, and more so in Stockholm. So expect your expenses to be maybe double what they are at home. Almost. A shop bought sandwich will cost around 50kr, dagens lunch 75kr, normal meal out around 300kr. I pay 1200kr a month for a 40 trip bus ticket (25km each time). Gas is 12kr a litre.

There's a start. A good selection of food in all the stores, but the quality of the food, especially fresh food, can vary a lot.

It's a little hard to get started in Sweden but definitely doable.  Sweden is no more or less friendly/bureaucratic/disorganized than any other country. 

My only issue here is that it is expensive in Stockholm, but oh well.

I love that I have found some wonderful Swedish friends here. Dating Swedish men is not so easy but I got mine from the US.  I also really like that there is always something to do in the city if you want to.

But do save up on money, you're going to need it.

Hi all mates,

I'm getting on Sweden soon, maybe next week and I'm still totally blanc on swedish cost of life... is it more or less expensive live somewhere in the interior of the country (away from a big city)? Can you give me some examples?

thanks, Sérgio Soares

Housing will be cheaper and you may find you have more housing options away from the larger cities. Petrol is rather expensive if you have to travel, but public transport is quite cheap and very efficient. Food may be a little more expensive than in the main centres. Home heating can be expensive if you are living away from a major town and your house is not connected to the common central heating system. It's worth finding out about that in your area first especially if you are coming during winter time. If you are bringing a car with you, you will need to buy winter tyres as soon as you arrive.

Hi! I agree with Agatha: if you don't like living somewhere: LEAVE! I mean, I really dislike people who just complains and complains about the place they are living, and I've hated that on every country I've lived in! I believe Swedes are AMAZING! They are extremely friendly and helpful. I've been living in Uppsala for over 2 years now and even though I speak very little Swedish I move around by speaking English anyway. Everyone speaks great English and they are happy do to it. When I try to practice a bit of Swedish then again they are super happy about it and help me practice. Neighbors are great. People is always trying to help you on the streets. Service is great and I believe this is the only country were I haven't felt "different" just for being an expat. I'm really sad and surprised that someone could have had a bad time living in Sweden. I do believe it's all about attitude: I'm happy to be here and I reflect that. More importantly: I respect their culture! I can't expect them not to be annoyingly punctual, I can't expect them to have different food or a different behavior. I love Swedes the way they are. In my experience they even start talking to me on the bus stop or the supermarket line and they always have a smile on their face.

Well, I want to add I'm always speaking Spanish with my boyfriend and in many many occasions when they hear us they start talking to us in Spanish! I mean, even at the bus stop the start like "I lived in Mexico many years ago and bla bla bla" and they keep talking and talking and you have to find an excuse to leave. I really recommend Sweden to anyone!

samander03 wrote:

Hello.

I would agree with 01agata, as I think she is being quite rational, and not emotional or offensive, as others would accuse her of being.  Every country that you go to is what you make of it, and we're (most of us) free to travel to other locations.  I would like to know if it is really difficult to find a job in Sweden.  English is my native language, and I speak almost fluent Spanish.  My wife speaks English quite well, and Spanish is her native language.  We're both interested in being Spanish teachers, but are unaware of the possibility of doing so in Sweden.  Is there a market for that?  I have seen quite a few of the Folkschules and private academies offering Spanish courses.  Any advice at all on the general job market about such things would be helpful.  We are looking to move to the Jonkoping area, but we are flexible.  Thank you very much for anytime used in reading and responding to my post.

As I just wrote, I've met many Swedes that speak great Spanish! I'm sure there is market for that on schools and universities. Check out Dalarna University du.se I know they offer Spanish courses and maybe they can help you :-)