Kids education in English

Hi All,
I have one permanent job offer in Bergen and another temporary offer in Ås. I found Bergen international school is expensive. Please share  information regarding any school (govt. or private) in Bergen area with medium in English.

Many thanks in advance.

regards

You find where ever you go in the world, international schools will be expensive.

Try a local school, children will learn the local language very quickly.

Hi,

Why do you want to ghettoize your child? He has the opportunity to discover another language / culture / ...

Think about his future, let him open to the world!

phipiemar wrote:

Hi,

Why do you want to ghettoize your child? He has the opportunity to discover another language / culture / ...

I think it's fair to let the OP decide what's best for their child. For kids who move often, the consistency of an English education and international system might be the best for them.

That said, I agree with the other poster- international schools do tend to be the more expensive option anywhere in the world. I had a quick google and it doesn't seem like the public school option in the Bergen area includes an English school (unless your child is above 16). It may only be available in the Oslo area.

ECS wrote:
phipiemar wrote:

Hi,

I think it's fair to let the OP decide what's best for their child. For kids who move often, the consistency of an English education and international system might be the best for them.

That said, I agree with the other poster- international schools do tend to be the more expensive option anywhere in the world. I had a quick google and it doesn't seem like the public school option in the Bergen area includes an English school (unless your child is above 16). It may only be available in the Oslo area.

My daughter is 14 and speak French/Portuguese/English and my son who's speaks French and Portuguese...

99% of the time, the real problem is that parents don't want to do the effort because they believe that their children will be affected like them by the language barrier. What's completely wrong !!!

Do you think that I don't care about my children's future ? That's absolutely wrong. It's because I'M focusing on that I wanted them to learn as more as possible foreigners languages...

phipiemar wrote:

[

Do you think that I don't care about my children's future ? That's absolutely wrong. It's because I'M focusing on that I wanted them to learn as more as possible foreigners languages...

that's great for you, but what works for one child doesn't work for every child. I simply said we should trust the OP to be looking out for the best interest of THEIR child. If they think an international/English school is the best environment, who are we to judge?

and yes, I have kids, and my kids are multilingual. I still wouldn't say someone sending their kid to the international school has "gettoized" their child and doing them a disservice.

I have great respect for your kind effort and valuable advice.
I have two kids one at age 10+ and another of 4+. Local language is always welcomed. Myself is multilingual.
Whether the mode of instruction is English or not kids will have local language as part of their curriculum in Norway.
Only the worry is switching over to new country will add one extra challenge in their academics to address all the non English subjects in local language with proficiency. Level of challenge increases with their grade and age.

In near future if the kid again relocated to another country then addressing the subject with another local language with proficiency might seems as starting from scratch again. It might or might not affect the academics.

I searched (and still searching) in Bergen area but could not able to get any except International school Bergen, which seems expensive.
Where as in Oslo are some few options I found. There is a mix of schools (private and public) provide mode of teaching in English. Public (Manglerud skole, International Classes) and some private ones. Public one doesn't have any vacancy now and in waiting mode. That's mean chances of admission will be from next session (i.e. August/September 2020) in that school.

Hello,

I partially agree with you. Challenges are necessary for the evolution of our children. They do not have the fear of failure that we adults have.

The greater their openness to the world, the better their future will be. Our job as parents is to stimulate them and assist them when needed.

Of course, to change schools, their school results will vary. But they will only be temporary. And that's when children need the support of their parents to motivate them without putting pressure on them by complaining about the drop in results.

Let's not forget that since the advent of the internet, the difference in evolution between each generation is growing more and more. It is up to the older ones to adapt to sublimate young people.