Job Hunting

I saw a couple posts on this but I was wondering the best way to go about working in the UK. I plan to start with 6 months and as far as I can tell I wont need a visa. I have income regardless if im working from the VA so I wont be totally broke before finding a job but is it best to just apply for a working Visa even if im not sure what I would be doing or if I will want to stay? Or should I go, get a place to stay and then apply? I guess whats the best way to go about job hunting with you don't need one ASAP but you'd like one sooner rather than later.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your information tells me you're a US citizen; as such, you will need a visa, so my first question is why you don't think you'll need one?

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I won't need one if I'm staying for 6 months or less correct? Or it's a visitors? I may have not explained my question very well haha or I have bad information but initially I'm planning on 6 months there.

You're right! I misinterpreted something I read, thanks for the help!

Hi again.

For a US citizen, the 6-month visitor visa doesn't allow you to work in the UK; I asked as perhaps you're like me (a dual US/UK citizen) because then you could do what you were suggesting.

There are really 2 options open to you:

Take advantage of one of the jobs listed on the Shortage Occupation list (link).  Problem with that is it doesn't allow you to come here looking for work, you would need to find a job with an employer willing to sponsor your work visa.  There is nothing to stop you looking for work while here on a short-stay visa, the problem is you'd have to leave to then apply for this visa.

Family visa - the problem here is you would need some kind of family/relationship with somebody already living in the UK, which is probably a bit extreme.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

That helps a ton!

Thanks again :)