Within 6 months or so I hope to be ready to make the big move

Hello, I am new here, I am currently not in Vietnam, however, within 6 months or so I hope to be ready to make the big move.  I am retired, receiving a pension, so no need to work. I hope to find a nice apartment near the beach in Danang, I love bicycling, so I hope it's safe to peddle in Danang, Well, I just wanted to introduce myself, and maybe someday we can make an acquaintance.

Timmy, I just returned in June from Danang. I love it there. Hope you do also.

There is a sticky thread for new members.

THIGV wrote:

There is a sticky thread for new members.

Yes.

There is...

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=830430

I too will return to Danang with in a few months, I rode a bicycle everywhere around the city, very easy, never felt un safe at any time, In the city or along the beach promenade. Loved the place.

Loved Danang. Stayed on the beach side and the river side.

There's an expat/youtuber in Da Nang that rides his bike around the city. His youtube channel is Eli the Bike Guy. The traffic is no where as bad as Saigon or Hanoi and seems like traffic by the beach is fairly light and there's the bike path that scooters also use since they can't be too far away from their scooter unattended. I guess theft of the bike could be a problem if you leave it unattended, but if you lock it up, you're probably OK.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtyLJ … zBybTE-R1A

I too am planning to retire early in Da Nang.

Maybe you should visit other cities before going to DaNang because your going to get spoiled.  :)   

I have been to many cities in VN and DaNang is my favorite, hands down.  We rode our motobike all over the city and the outskirts, no bicycle for me, I am a motorsports man and need the speed. 

My only complaint about DaNang, it gets cold in the winter, based on VN standards.  I prefer a warmer climate year round you find south of DaNang.

I never had any trouble leaving my motorbike unattended. Never heard of anyone having issues with bike theft?....I arrived in January , and being from northern Canada, found the weather to be a huge draw for me, 27+ during the day and low 20 s at night.
It was such a relief compared to the night heat of other asian cities.

Canman62 wrote:

Never heard of anyone having issues with bike theft?

I think the theft reference was for bicycles (xe dap) rather than motorbikes.  Not being licensed makes them harder to trace and a little easier to get away with.  A quick paint job and it's yours.  My wife had hers stolen in HCM from in front of the post office near our home.

I visited Danang in June and loved both the beach side and river sides of town

I think theft is more common in the bigger cities, I locked my bicycle, rode it for a month, no issues. Security in a lot of places.