VinaTaxi Warning

This has happened to me in the past, but I have not done anything about it. Yesterday, from the airport, a VinaTaxi driver, first of all tried to charge me 30,000 vnd for the airport exit fee. The real fee is 10,000. Then I noticed he had not turned his meter on, and asked him what was going on. He replied it was 500,000 vnd to take me home to Nha Be. Whoa! Seriously! I'm outta here. I jumped out of the cab and had to go back to the taxi queue at TSN to get a proper taxi.

This has happened to me in the past with VinaTaxi, but never with VinaSun, or Mai Linh. Just a heads up for anybody new here, and if it happens to you, send a complaint, as I did, because the Vietnamese levels of government really do not want to have this kind of charlatanism carrying on. A lot of media attention has been given to try to stop this kind of nonsense.

if you don't mind, would you please share the number/email of whom you filed a complaint with and the Taxi ID number?

Hi Jef,
Because I jumped out of the taxi in the traffic, and because I was angry and tired after a very long trip (where my luggage did not arrive at HCM), unfortunately I did not have the presence of mind to get the car's license plate number. I wrote my complaint to [email protected] giving them the time of day, and noting their woman rep in the TSN taxi queue would recall the incident because I harped at her when I went back and she would likely.know who the driver was.

a month ago a vina sun driver tried to over charge me from airport to D7, usuall its about 250K by taxi or 320K by private hire. as i got out of the airport i noticed the meter already reading 200K, after a bit of a less than happy exchage of words he said 200K to D7, when we arrived meter was reading almost 620K! he got 200 and that was that!

Always check the meter anywhere you go in any country. last week Hk taxi driver tried to charge 700 HKD for HKG to ETST which as i do every month is only 280 at the worst. had a stand up argument in teh middle of the street and after taking his ID pic and said i would cal the cops he took 200 HKD, he lost out and drove off telling the F off in Cantonese lol

Exactly. That was why I got out.

We honestly need expats to stand up for themselves MORE!!! Most of these scams continue only because so many Expats have been tolerating it over the years.

More reason to stick to the 2 trusted ones.  It happened to me also a couple years back When  I mistaken vinataxi as vinasun.

VinaSun or MaiLinh only, makes life easy.  Or Grab.  At least then you know the total fare BEFORE you even book.

Becareful guy. That taxi driver was so bad. You should take Grab instead. Im a Vietnamese, but sometimes the taxi drivers try to get me to further route to get more money. So take care.

I can't speak about Mai Linh, but my wife and I were once taken for a long ride by a Vinasun driver.  Vinasun was and is my wife's preferred company.  We were going to the airport from phuong Linh Dong in Thu Du District and the driver started to go via District 2 which is ridiculously long.  This was before the Pham Van Dong highway had been built so the best route would have been via the Binh Trieu bridge.  I recognized this before long, as my wife is not very geographically aware, and insisted that we turn around.  He said (to my wife) that we had gone too far so we continued  on via the long route.  When we got to the airport I gave him half the fare on the meter which was still too much.  I don't know if the driver's actions were intentional or whether perhaps he was unfamiliar with the territory and had ended up in Thu Duc by a dropoff.  Either way, even with the national companies, you need to watch the route they take.

Today I have had the misfortune to use a VinTaxi.

After showing the driver the address of my hotel in both Vietnamese and English and him confirming that he knew my hotel, he then proceeded to turn a 6.5 km journey into one of nearly 15 km, stopping to ask directions eight times and, frequently, going in different directions from the ones shown by Google Maps.

When we eventually arrived at the hotel, he demanded the full fare to showing on the meter which was over 400,000 dong - more than twice what an honest taxi driver would charge.

When I said that was too much he became abusive and I had to call for help from the hotel staff and ended up paying him some of what he was demanding  (still well above a reasonable fare) to get away from him.

Needless to say, VinTaxi is not an outfit I will use again.

Today I have had the misfortune to use a VinTaxi.After showing the driver the address of my hotel in both Vietnamese and English and him confirming that he knew my hotel, he then proceeded to turn a 6.5 km journey into one of nearly 15 km, stopping to ask directions eight times and, frequently, going in different directions from the ones shown by Google Maps.When we eventually arrived at the hotel, he demanded the full fare to showing on the meter which was over 400,000 dong - more than twice what an honest taxi driver would charge.When I said that was too much he became abusive and I had to call for help from the hotel staff and ended up paying him some of what he was demanding  (still well above a reasonable fare) to get away from him.Needless to say, VinTaxi is not an outfit I will use again.        -@Business Traveller

Hello Business Traveller, and welcome to expat.com.

Thank you for your first post. I'm sorry it was of your negative VinTaxi experience.

I have one word of advice for people.

GRAB. (Link).

Before confirming your pick-up, you will be presented with the fare which will be charged. I have had nothing but satisfactory results using the GRAB app.

Once more, welcome aboard. Hope to hear more from you again soon.

Grab is still best option, but quality of drivers and cars has gone down dramatically in the past year, at least in the HCMC area.

I never heard of Vintaxi.

Vinasun taxi also has an app that works the same as Grab app. I use both for cars. Sometimes one is cheaper than the other.

I prefer Vinasun taxi drivers because they know the city. More professional, and the cars are consistent. You don't know what a Grab driver will roll up in. The last time we went to the train station via Grab, the young buffalo got us stuck in a hem he had to back out of. A district he had probably never been to.