Just for fun: History of Vietnam

Hello everyone,

Whether you're a history buff or not, here's a chance to learn about the history of Vietnam. Below are a few trivia questions to test whether you have the correct facts.

1. Name 3 iconic monuments/structures in Vietnam
2. What is the name of the national anthem? When and by whom was it created?
3. Name 2 eminent national historical figures
4. When is the national day celebrated in Vietnam?
5. Which are the most important turning points in the Vietnamese history?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

Well, since I live in Saigon......

1 .Imperial Tomb of Dong Khanh - now lets see if anyone outside of Vietnam knows where it is?
People's Committee Building - ditto
Duong Lam Ancient Village
Hue Royal Palace
Vietnam is full of history and well worth a visit!
2. Uncle Ho
Ngô Quyền - King of Vietnam who restored the countrys sovereignty  around the end of the first century AD
3. Independence from China
Romanisation of Vietnamese written language in 1651
French colonial era - even now the French influence can be found everywhere in Vietnam -  Banh Mi, anyone? Its French baguette stuffed with good things
Tet Offensive

Vietnam has as much history as the UK

Whats my prize? Oh its just for fun, well Vietnam is a fun country no doubt!

Vietnam has as much history as the UK

who are you trying to kid, not even 1% as much history as UK & not even .01% of the history of Europe or China or Thailand for that matter!! Where are all the historic palaces, castles, influence in the world??? Ba Na Hill!!

What is the longest river that is entirely located in Viet Nam?

No cheating!!!

Who is this clown "Moscowmetro" who posted such a naive statement: "who are you trying to kid, not even 1% as much history as UK & not even .01% of the history of Europe or China or Thailand for that matter!! Where are all the historic palaces, castles, influence in the world??? Ba Na Hill!!"
Before posting,  Moscowmetro didn't even know or checked with the internet the history of Vietnam. That is being very shallow and naive!
Only one example: The Vietnamese fought with Genghis Khan (I hope he knows who that was!) for a long time,  won the war and was able to chase the Mongolians away.
Let's not even talk about the wars with China. The Vietnamese have been fighting the Chinese for thousands of years and were under the rules of China for over 1 thousand years!
For all I know, the history dated back to the 3rd century BC.
So, I would suggest Moscowmetro to go back and check your knowledge of World History.
You can also check out this article:
"2,000-year-old bronze drum unearthed in northern Vietnam"
By Le Hoang   September 26, 2016 | 02:01 pm GMT+7

- Eodmatt! Welcome back! It's nice to see you on VN Forum again! I haven't read your comments for a long time. I thought you left Saigon! I am glad you are still in VN and please participate more on this forum! Have a pleasant day!

zabrinale wrote:

Who is this clown "Moscowmetro" who posted such a naive statement: "who are you trying to kid, not even 1% as much history as UK & not even .01% of the history of Europe or China or Thailand for that matter!! Where are all the historic palaces, castles, influence in the world??? Ba Na Hill!!"
Before posting,  Moscowmetro didn't even know or checked with the internet the history of Vietnam. That is being very shallow and naive!
Only one example: The Vietnamese fought with Genghis Khan (I hope he knows who that was!) for a long time,  won the war and was able to chase the Mongolians away.
Let's not even talk about the wars with China. The Vietnamese have been fighting the Chinese for thousands of years and were under the rules of China for over 1 thousand years!
So, I would suggest Moscowmetro to go back and check your knowledge of World History.

- Eodmatt! Welcome back! It's nice to see you on VN Forum again! I haven't read your comments for a long time. I thought you left Saigon! I am glad you are still in VN and please participate more on this forum! Have a pleasant day!

I think he may be referring to the fact that not a lot of historical buildings and artufacts have been preserved here....and I agree with that.

zabrinale wrote:

Moscowmetro is talking about historical things of consequence, not oh the Vietnamese fought with Genghis Khan or oh they have found a 2k year old drum FFS what a joke. Name one thing of any consequence historically that Vietnam has given to the world? if you can scrape together just 1 thing, I will give you 100 that UK, Europe & China has! You need to travel more & absorbe the cultures of civilised countries that have given the world cultured nations like Greece, Italy, France, Germany & yes UK. When you are there if you can get a Visa that is you might just learn some good manners, like how to stand & wait patiently in a que for example. You obviously have no concept of culture & how it has developed over the centuries, where is your equivelent of the Palace of Versailles, the Coliseum, the Parthanon, Stone Henge, St Petersburg, the Pyramids etc etc etc, reading your simplistic post I  doubt you even know what they are or where they are & what is their historical impact to world history, bit more to them in significance than a friging Vietnamese  drum FFS!

With all the wars going on for thousands of years, excluding fights with the French, the Japanese and the Americans who bombed(all 3 of them) the country up & down during the last century? How can any country preserves any historical buildings & artifacts in the same situation Vietnam was in?
They have been at war with China since the very first century AD until now. The Chinese took away all their treasures and resources. Then came the French and the Japanese and the Americans! So please!!!

zabrinale wrote:

With all the wars going on for thousands of years, excluding fights with the French, the Japanese and the Americans who bombed(all 3 of them) the country up & down during the last century? How can any country preserves any historical buildings & artifacts in the same situation Vietnam was in?
They have been at war with China since the very first century AD until now. The Chinese took away all their treasures and resources. Then came the French and the Japanese and the Americans! So please!!!

Best you do some research, knocking down historicial buildings is a national obsession here.

"Local architect Tran Thanh Van described the current situation as one of “disorder,” with preservation in the Old Quarter in disarray, she said. Historic buildings that aren't demolished outright, are often modified or refurbished by local businesses, with little regard for their heritage.
“Hanoi has preserved its architectural heritage very badly,” she said. “More precisely, in order to make profit they incessantly build high skyscrapers to do business and (have) destroyed almost all old architectural projects.”

who are you trying to kid, not even 1% as much history as UK & not even .01% of the history of Europe or China or Thailand for that matter!! Where are all the historic palaces, castles, influence in the world??? Ba Na Hill!!

You need to travel more & absorbe the cultures of civilised countries that have given the world cultured nations like Greece, Italy, France, Germany & yes UK. When you are there if you can get a Visa that is you might just learn some good manners, like how to stand & wait patiently in a que for example. You obviously have no concept of culture & how it has developed over the centuries, where is your equivelent of the Palace of Versailles, the Coliseum, the Parthanon, Stone Henge, St Petersburg, the Pyramids etc etc etc, reading your simplistic post I  doubt you even know what they are or where they are & what is their historical impact to world history, bit more to them in significance than a friging Vietnamese  drum FFS!

Sorry my dear! I have lived in France (10 years) my family still lives in France; my sister lives in Nice, USA (40 years), Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland (few years) and Vietnam (visit Thailand, Laos, Myanmar & Cambodia, even India)! While in France, went to Monaco, Italy, Spain, Germany.... for vacations every year! I have friends in UK and Ireland. For business, Qatar, Dubai, Oman. Right now I am in Romania! Traveling to Hungary, Bulgaria and Poland for business and pretty soon must go to Bangladesh! Therefore, do not underestimate people you don't know! Please!
You are the one who is ignorant.

zabrinale wrote:

When the Khmer kings were building the city if Angkhor (one of the wonders of the world)  more than 1000 years ago, the best the Vietnamese could come up with was simple buildings made of wood, thats why you have little or no structures of any consequence, nothing to do with bombs & wars. Germany & UK & France & all Europe have fought much more ferocious wars going back thousands of years & fought 2 world wars that were far bigger & devistating than anything Vietnam experianced with lots of bombs being dropped but still managed to keep their beautiful & culturaly significant buildings, artifacts & structures. So dont tell me thats why you have none, truth is you did not have any in the first place.

To Colinoscapee,

This is the work of the communist government; they even destroy all cemeteries of the last century to make space for parks and buildings.

zabrinale wrote:

You need to travel more & absorbe the cultures of civilised countries that have given the world cultured nations like Greece, Italy, France, Germany & yes UK. When you are there if you can get a Visa that is you might just learn some good manners, like how to stand & wait patiently in a que for example. You obviously have no concept of culture & how it has developed over the centuries, where is your equivelent of the Palace of Versailles, the Coliseum, the Parthanon, Stone Henge, St Petersburg, the Pyramids etc etc etc, reading your simplistic post I  doubt you even know what they are or where they are & what is their historical impact to world history, bit more to them in significance than a friging Vietnamese  drum FFS!

Sorry my dear! I have lived in France (10 years) my family still lives in France; my sister lives in Nice, USA (40 years), Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland (few years) and Vietnam (visit Thailand, Laos, Myanmar & Cambodia, even India)! While in France, went to Monaco, Italy, Spain, Germany.... for vacations every year! I have friends in UK and Ireland. For business, Qatar, Dubai, Oman. Right now I am in Romania! Traveling to Hungary, Bulgaria and Poland for business and pretty soon must go to Bangladesh! Therefore, do not underestimate people you don't know! Please!
You are the one who is ignorant.

for someone who thinks so highly of the culture in Vietnam, its interesting to see you got out & lived in the West when things got hot!! & if you have truely actually visited all these culturally inferior countries in the West it just shows how ignorant you are to even suggest that Vietnam can even be mentioned in the same cultural, historical, world influencial context.
Are you sure you have visited all these countries or have you just passed through their airports in the transit lounges.

Anyone know the answer to my original question?

colinoscapee wrote:

Wait, I need to Google it!!

colinoscapee wrote:

(I've been out all day, just now checking the forum).

It's Đồng Nai River, which originates in the Central Highlands in Lâm Đồng and ends in Cần Giờ before flowing into the East Sea.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

(I've been out all day, just check the forum now).

It's Đồng Nai River, originates in the Central Highland in Lâm Đồng and ends in Cần Giờ before flowing into the East Sea.

I was wondering if any of the expats knew that answer. Im sure the first thing that came to mind for most is the Mekong, which as you know starts outside of VN's border.

colinoscapee wrote:

I was wondering if any of the expats knew that answer. Im sure the first thing that came to mind for most is the Mekong, which as you know starts outside of VN's border.

You're absolutely right.  I would say 99% of expats' knowledge is not very deep no matter how long they've lived here. 

I've refrained myself from participating in these "fun" threads as they should be aimed at expats, not a repatriate (although I'm not sure I'm a repatriate as the government classifies me as a "foreigner with Vietnamese roots", which means I'm neither fish nor fowl.)

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

You're absolutely right.  I would say 99% of expats' knowledge is not very deep no matter how long they've lived here. 

I've refrained myself from participating in these "fun" threads as they should be aimed at expats, not a repatriate (although I'm not sure I'm a repatriate as the government classifies me as a "foreigner with Vietnamese roots", which means I'm neither fish nor fowl.)

Have you been to the Oc Eo culture, residence and grave site in Cho Gao, Tien Giang?

colinoscapee wrote:

Have you been to the Oc Eo culture, residence and grave site in Cho Gao, Tien Giang?

Only once, 15 or 16 years ago.  I should go back and see it again with fresh eyes.

The defeat of the Khmer Rouge in spite of nearly universal international condemnation was a fairly significant contribution to recent world history.

Hello everyone,

Please note that i have put aside some posts and would request that you participate only if you have some positive sharing experience to post. Some information that could actually be of interest to everyone.

For the rest, all the negativity etc, leave it outside the forum please!

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna