My Vietnamese gf is pregnant

I have recently learned that my Vietnamese gf, living in Hanoi is pregnant. I am from South Africa, living in SA right now. I don't want them to come live here, and I would rather go and live over there as the cost of living is cheaper, less crime, etc. If I have a child in Vietnam, what does that mean for me that would like to move there? I don't have a Degree, so work would be difficult. I was teaching english in Vitenam for 3 months in 2018, but I didn't need a Degree for that type of VISA. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Have a look at this:

The Complete List of Online Teaching Companies
http://www.goodairlanguage.com

Well, congratulations!

Congratulations.
You will be fine here.

IamCharlie wrote:

I have recently learned that my Vietnamese gf, living in Hanoi is pregnant. I am from South Africa, living in SA right now. I don't want them to come live here, and I would rather go and live over there as the cost of living is cheaper, less crime, etc. If I have a child in Vietnam, what does that mean for me that would like to move there? I don't have a Degree, so work would be difficult. I was teaching english in Vitenam for 3 months in 2018, but I didn't need a Degree for that type of VISA. Any assistance would be appreciated.

First thing you should do is confirm that she is pregnant with your child and when is the expected due date.  You said you were in VN in 2018 for 3 months.  We are in October 2019 so the months don't add up mate.  If you got her pregnant in 2018 and even early 2019, the baby would already be here.

vndreamer wrote:
IamCharlie wrote:

First thing you should do is confirm that she is pregnant with your child and when is the expected due date.  You said you were in VN in 2018 for 3 months.  We are in October 2019 so the months don't add up mate.  If you got her pregnant in 2018 and even early 2019, the baby would already be here.

Glad to see someone had the bottle to lay it on the line, just hope no money has been sent. mmmmmmmmm. Sort of runs parallel to the corruption posts too.

in 2018, I worked there for 3 months, giving a background with my bit of experience over there. I was back there in September for vacay, and I was with her then. Sorry for the misunderstanding

I was there in Sept 2019, so she's about a month pregnant. Haven't sent money, and won't do any of that until the child is born. The 2018 visit was a mere indication that I worked there for 3 months before. I'm just curious about what's next for me that's all

Not really sure what to tell you Charlie, just good luck really. Thing is unless you can get legit work with permit & TRC, I am sure you already know, you are gonna have to make visa runs every 3 months & it all takes money. Not knowing yours or her circumstances (family, job etc) unless they are well off & you can stay with her family its not going to be easy thats for sure. Just for her hospital bill for having the baby is min 30mil (my Viet friends tell me). I have lived here for 12 years & recently I have seen the costs of living here go up. When I first came here you could live quite well for 500usd a month, but now if you take into account in rent etc & living expences you really need to be budgeting for at least 1,000 usd in my opinion & thats not living the high life.
Another thing is that most Vietnamese women & their families think that all forigners are loaded & they expect to be taken care of "better than average"
Anyways sorry for laying it on the line  good luck, be careful & hope it works out.

Naah all advise and info is appreciated. Thanks for the taking the time to reply. Thanks

Hey Charlie!
First congratz!

Few tips off topic but that you need to keep in mind:

I guess you're not married yet as you're talking about your "significant other", so I don't know about South Africa rules, but in my country I can declare that the child is mine BEFORE getting borned (to avoid a LOT of problem later, DNA test included, blablabla...).

Although, as far as I remember, VN or SA will ask a DNA test to make sure you're the real dad as you're not married. (to be confirmed)
You should contact your embassy in VN as soon as possible to know what to expect.

By the way, if you want your child to have both citizenship, make sure the child is first VN then SA (as VN doesn't allow multiple citizenship), but again, talk to your embassy first to know if it's doable or not!

+ VN force you to put a have Vietnamese firstname/name on the certificate of birth/ID card/passport of the baby, so you need to check how to name your child in Vietnam & in South Africa.
Don't put the name of the child on the certificate of birth you'll receive from the hospital!!!!! Just ask them to put your girlfriend name and yours as parents.
So you'll be free to give a VN name in VN passport and a SA name in SA passport

Don't underestimate the administrative stuff in both country!
It can quickly become a real pain!
So, both, you and your girlfriend, have a lot of work to prepare to avoid any administrative issue!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BUY A HEALTH INSURANCE FOR HER (maternity) (and for the new born)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially if you want her to deliver in a good international hospital (french hospital, international sos or family medical practice)
You can probably easily afford for it!

Good luck and enjoy the delivery :cheers:

I wouldn't take out health insurance for that.

And I would leave it to her girlfriend in which maternity clinic she wants to give birth (e.g. in the clinic where family members have already given birth to their children).

I was with my wife first in an international clinic where the birth would have cost about 30 million. But then she wanted to go to a Vietnamese clinic.
For me as a Wester it was not very comfortable but for my wife and her family it was okay. A single room was available for 800k Dong per day. Everything together costs between 8 and 15 million depending on whether it is a cesarean birth or not (I don't have the exact numbers for my wife's cesarien birth in my head anymore).

In pregnancy and after the birth there are still monthly examinations. The consultation in a Vietnamese clinic costs about 150k Dong and an ultrasound about 350k Dong. In an international clinic it costs about 3-4 times more. For vitamin preparations you have to add about 300-500k Dong per month.

I don't know what it looks like in Nha Trang, but in Saigon there are 3 large children's clinics with which I have had good experiences.
Also here a consultation costs about 150k Dong.
Our baby was brought to the children's hospital a few days after the Caesarean birth because she didn't drink enough milk. She was feeded up there in 10 days.
The cost for these 10 days was less than 1 million dong.

So I think for these low costs there is no need for expensive health insurance.

By the way, you must not underestimate the cost of good baby food and diapers. We spent about 3 million dong a month on it.

If you absolutely want to take your wife to an international hospital because you don't trust the Vietnamese clinics you should take your girlfriend to your home country to give birth and live there.

I can agree on what's you're stating AkaMaverick and I do understand your point of view (especially for the girl to fell good with VN staff in her own language), but a health insurance for maternity is peanuts, especially in Vietnam....... only few €/$....

Ok, if there's no issue and the mum & baby are fine, then the money is completely "lost".
But if there's any trouble for the mum or the baby....................................... prices can rise up like crazy... and in those kind of time, you want the best no matter what, no matter the price!
Especially if it's a question of death or life!

One month ago, I was wondering if I should renew my international health insurance as I'm often travelling to VN to see my girlfriend (4 times per year). ==> 120€/133$ yearly... (europ-assistance that you know as a swissman)
I finally decided to do it just before leaving AND I just broke my malleolus 2 weeks ago!

I was so happy to have renewed it, especially when I saw the bill that my insurance is gonna pay...
Ok, maternity is different, but still... You never need an insurance until..................................................... boooooom!

Anyway it's up to our South African buddy to decide if he's willing to take the risk :top:

AlexFromBelgium wrote:

...but a health insurance for maternity is peanuts, especially in Vietnam....... only few €/$....

Ok, if there is a cheap Vietnamese insurance only for maternity, why not.
But I think you can't apply for such an insurance  when the woman is already pregnant.
And a cheap Vietnamese insurance will definitely not pay for international clinics.
And if you go to a Vietnamese clinic, the costs are low. How much is this insurance for maternity?
I know that noone from my wife's family had such an insurance.

Make sure you do a DNA test on the child once it is born...

My advice would be to forget about it.  Go on with your life.

roy little wrote:

My advice would be to forget about it.  Go on with your life.

Sure, cowardly to shirk responsibility.
That already says everything about you.

If you have a VN baby or not, this don't make any difference for your visa and living in Vietnam.
Only be married make a difference.
My baby's name is Nguyen Declercq Li, mothers family-name, my family-name and we would name her Liz, but that they didn't accept, so Li on the documents and everybody call her Liz. I think every city will be different. Good luck

Thank you for the info, much appreciated

tonydeclercq wrote:

If you have a VN baby or not, this don't make any difference for your visa and living in Vietnam.
Only be married make a difference.
My baby's name is Nguyen Declercq Li, mothers family-name, my family-name and we would name her Liz, but that they didn't accept, so Li on the documents and everybody call her Liz. I think every city will be different. Good luck

The same with us.
We still call her by the non-vietnamse given name.

But this counts only if you want the Vietnamese citizenship for the child.