Question about working remotely in Mexico.

I make $2400 per month (after taxes) in California. I work for a manufacturing company. I recently moved to this state 6 months ago and had to take whatever job I could find. I'm not making much right now.

I worked in web design/development from 2013-2017 and am really good with it. My goal is to move to mexico and work remotely doing web design (not freelance but employed by a company) for a company in the USA.

But I'm a little troubled. The visa requirements to get a temporary resident visa for mexico seem to be too high level for what I currently make right now. So it seems that I dont meet the requirements to be allowed to live in mexico and work remotely.

The income required for a Temporary Resident Visa is $1620 per month. I'm going to get a remote web job while I'm in California, but I will not work that web job in California. I'm going to get hired, quit my manufacturing job and then move to mexico - where I will begin working the remote job. The $1620 month requirements means that you have to be receiving $1620 per month from consistent foreign sources (like pension check, etc). So the fact that I have been making $2400 month doesnt count, because I'm going to quit my job when I move to mexico. Therefore I will not be having any income coming in.

Im going to get hired as a remote web guy and THEN move to mexico where I will begin working. What do I do?

What visa should I get? I will not be having any income coming in when I move to mexico. But I will be starting a remote web job anf will be paid within 3 weeks of starting. I also only have $5000 saved up so I don't meet the requirement where you have to have enough cash piled up for the 180 days.

I'm sure people quit thwir day job and move to mexico to work remotely without having any income coming in.

My goal sheet is:
1. Get remote web job
2 quit my day job, transfer my savings to mexican bank, set up cheap apartment.
3. Go to the mexican border and get visa there
4. Go into mexico
5. Start working remotely for web company.

Okay,here goes. What you are considering is going to be difficult because of the visa requirements. So you at first will not be able to live just anywhere you want. Unless of course you find a visa you qualify for.
However if you work in California and want to live in Baja California they do have a visa for that where they do consider your earnings. Also many expats if not most who live here and work in California do so without a visa or with a tourist visa. So if your manuf. job is in SanDiego I would not quit it but would keep it until I was satisfied with the remote job.
So you can check this out by going to the Mexican consulate in San Diego. There they will give you the requirements.But you must tell them that you are after the visa for people living in Baja and working in Ca. Also you will want to check out their web page you may find the info there also.
Good luck.

Thanks so  much.

Have you considered just going on a tourist visa for the first 6 months? That would give you time to get your new job, health insurance etc. all organized so that by the time you apply for a temporal visa you will have everything in place.

Move to Mexico, work remotely and enjoy life. I work online and I have lived in Mexico for 3 years. No one asks questions and you don't go around telling anyone.  Work remotely, blend in, have a drink and enjoy life.

I would not open a bank account in Mexico, though.  Supposedly, if you have a Mexican bank account, you need to file a Mexican tax return, although not necessarily pay taxes. 
We've tried repeatedly to open a bank account in San Miguel de Allende and ran into bankers who were either stupid or just didn't want to deal with us, or both, so we gave up.  We have our old bank account in the States and just withdraw amounts from the ATM as we need them.  Caution:  not all ATMs are created equal.  Some charge relatively high fees and let you withdraw relatively few pesos.  But we found one where you can withdraw up to $9,000 MX for about 60 pesos service charge.

Well, Steve and Marty,

I don't know how long you have lived here or what your visa status is, but I have had a Mexican account for many years.
The trick with taxes is what is your balance. There are balances that will trigger an automatic tax evaluation. So if you have your retirement deposited in Mexico you will get immediate attention.

You may have also been discounted because some visitors opened accounts then left the country which tends to annoy banks.
There is also the fact that many of the popular banks do not have their headquarters in Mexico and act as American, Canadian, British or Spanish branches, not Mexican banks. You might want to research that and see who those banks are in your area. Of course, they follow the Mexican bank rules, but on top of that they have all of their own twists and turns.

If you're essentially going to be a digital nomad with your web design work, my advice would be to establish yourself as an S-corp. get a year or two of income/tax/revenue records going while you simultaneously visit Mexico for chunks of time. That way, when you're ready to make the move, you have proven records of revenue for your business and yourself, through which you should be able to attain your visa.