Documents for work permit (for germans only)

Hi,
I'm Walter from Germany. I am trying to work as an English teacher in Vietnam. But I have problems getting my work permit. I am in Vietnam now and the german embassy in Hanoi told me that I have to legalize my documents (bachelor, TEFL, criminal record) in the vietnamese embassy in Germany.
Is there really no other way than going back to Germany? Is it the same in all provinces?
Thank, danke

Hello, we also learned it the hard way but that is the normal path to legalize documents that origin from another country: you have to go to the embassy of the target country located in the origin country (because they are familiar with the government stamps of the origin country).

However, you need to be carefull and read/contact VN embassy in Berlin, because they wont accept ALL documents per se - sometime the need a pre-legalization.

If you have friends or familiy in Germany you can give them a power of attorney to go and do the legalization for you in VN embassy (in my case the embassy did not even check the permit..).

Good luck!

Hello Walter, nothing to do with your question on WP, but why dont you teach your native tongue German here in Vietnam? My information from a friend who is Vietnamese & teaches German here in HCMC is that there is a growing market from Vietnamese to learn German as a second language & then go work in Germany.

Thanks for your answers. I am considering teaching German. However, does anyone has experience with companies doing the legalization process for you? Is it possible? Is it trustworthy?

JensRFFM wrote:

Does anyone has experience with companies doing the legalization process for you? Is it possible? Is it trustworthy?

Experience = no (as explained I sent a colleague with a power of attorney letter to the VN embassy for legalization)
Is it possible = it does sound like a legal service a company in Germany could provide
Is it trustworthy = a little google research on a specific company name should reveal this to you