Malaria in South (Mekong) Vietnam

I recently went to the travel clinic to see if I needed anything for my 6-7 months stay in Vietnam. The "biggest" danger, believe it or not, seems to be Japanese encephalitis when staying long term in South East Asia. I told the nurse "Eh but I'm not going to Japan!" but she said it's really not about Japan.

Anyhow, the thing I was surprised the most was the map about malaria. She said that in the Mekong I didn't need malaria pills, that if I sleep with A/C on and use anti bug spray if out at night I should be fine. The "dangerous" malaria zone are rural areas between Saigon and Hanoi, but outside of touristy areas. The funny part is, as soon as you look at the map of Cambodia, it's all "red" (meaning danger). I told her it was hard to believe that close to the border to Cambodia all was fine, and suddenly when crossing the border to Cambodia you get malaria. As if mosquitoes required a VISA to get into the Mekong.

Sorry for this long post, so my question is: have you ever heard of anyone contracting malaria in the Mekong or South West Vietnam? My ex Vietnamese wife told me there's some news that malaria is back, but all the info I find online (Like disease prevention institute) shows that this region of Vietnam is safe. I got a month worth of malaria pills for when I'll visit Cambodia, but that's pretty much it.

You should also do some research about the side effects of the specific malaria pills that you have obtained. Some people have some very serious reactions to the various anti-malaria medications.

Experience: my anti-malaria drugs made me psychotic
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl … -psychotic

Also, as far as I know, dengue fever is a much more serious and common problem in this region. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone contracting malaria.

Japanese encephalitis is serious but your chances on contracting it are very small. You can google and find in 2017 there were 325 cases of encephalitis in Vietnam, more in the north than the south, all or almost all in rural farming areas, only 10% caused by Japanese encephalitis, and 90% affecting kids under 15, 10% older people. That boils down to like 1 chance in 10,000,000. If you're on farms much.

There is no malaria in cities, again it is way out in the rural areas, and simple precautions drop the possibility down. I had hepatitis and typhoid shots (which cost me $100s in the states, cheap here!). I got dengue at a cafe in Q7, I was sick, it was of severity (not symptoms) of a bad flu, but no need for hospitalization, and there is no vaccine or treatment.

Don't worry about it. Do pack imodium and a bacitracin ointment though, there are alien organisms in the tropics that can get in your body through your mouth and skin.

Thanks for all the info,

Since the vaccine for Japanese encephalitis was CAD$250 but covered by my drugs insurance (80%), I went for it.

I've taken anti-malaria pills before and I don't have any side effect. Well, I might be psychotic but that's my standard behaviour :lol: I'll definitely take them for Cambodia.

I personally don't want to take anti-malarial pills of Japanese Enc. vax. Just make sure to be careful with what you eat or drink, and have an insect repellant handy. Otherwise, if it still makes you anxious, there's no problem getting those anti-malarial pills and vax. It's a personal decision. Cheers.