Expat.com gathering in Saigon - September 26 (Ambassador needed)

Hello all  :cheers:

We are back in the city!
Let's meet up at Speakeasy in Saigon on Thursday, September 26 from 6pm.

Vietnamese or new expat, resident or about to move away, it is a perfect occasion to meet new people from all around the world, share experiences and good tips.

Our ambassador will be out of town on this date, so we are looking for someone who would welcome our guests :) Please, send me a message if you are interested.

----------------> More info and registration this way:top:

Hoping you have a successful event. I don't know yet if I'll be able to break away from Vũng Tàu for this.

Your post is a perfect example as to why the "Saigon" and "Ho Chi Minh City" threads need to be combined:

I am fairly certain that the majority of members in the HCMC area are subscribed to only one of the threads.

So, when you post in the Saigon forum, those who subscribe only to the HCMC forum will not be notified.

While it's true that many (most?) expats refer to the city as "Saigon", in the international business community, the metropolis is definitely known as "Ho Chi Minh City".

Perhaps a name such as "HCMC/Saigon" might be an appropriate compromise for a new combined thread? Just an idea.

Because I know that Expat.com is very careful about Host Nation Sensitivity regarding the content of the Vietnam forum, I think any changes would preferably be in line with the desires of the government.

Also, reading the title of your OP, "Sài Gòn" or "Saigon" is the correct spelling.

Perhaps "Saïgon" is a typo?

Cheers!

This is important to me because a while back I created a cross post in both the Ho Chi Minh City forum and the Saigon forum, hoping to get the attention of the greatest number of subscribers.

Without comment or notification, an ADMIN deleted my post from the Saigon forum, leaving only the HCMC forum post active.

Yet you are choosing the Saigon forum for your official announcement.

At best, current policy is inconsistent.

Thanks for considering my responses.

I really wanna come to this but you guys chose a not so great venue -- Speakeasy in q7. Much better bars in the surrounding area.

I am in th US for a month so missing this but I do want to attend one in the future.  Nice to put a face with a name for some of the regulars.  Are these normally well attended?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Hoping you have a successful event. I don't know yet if I'll be able to break away from Vũng Tàu for this.

Your post is a perfect example as to why the "Saigon" and "Ho Chi Minh City" threads need to be combined:

I am fairly certain that the majority of members in the HCMC area are subscribed to only one of the threads.

So, when you post in the Saigon forum, those who subscribe only to the HCMC forum will not be notified. (...)

Hello,

Thank you for your message. Indeed it would be much easier to have only one page HMC/Saigon. Unfortunately,  for technical reasons, it is not doable at the moment. It does make things a bit more complicated for events promotion, but we will do our best to include everyone.
Everyone registered either in HCMC or Saigon has received an invitation for the event.

"Saïgon" was indeed a typo, thank you for pointed it out.

As for your last question regarding your post on both forums, I think your post has been deleted because it was exactly the same post. The platform automatically recognize when a text is copy and paste and consider them as spams (which they are most of the time). A small message to our Admin team to let them know about this particular situation would do the trick.

We hope that we will be able to have only one thread in the near future. In the meantime, I hope to see you at our next event.

Warm regards,

Helene

Nielsen Flute wrote:

I really wanna come to this but you guys chose a not so great venue -- Speakeasy in q7. Much better bars in the surrounding area.

Hello,

Thank you for your message.
Please let us know if there are bars you'd like us to organize events :)
Any help is more than welcome.

Warm regards,

SteinNebraska wrote:

I am in th US for a month so missing this but I do want to attend one in the future.  Nice to put a face with a name for some of the regulars.  Are these normally well attended?

Hello,

Thank you for your message. It depends on location (and weather sometimes) but there are usually about  25 people attending.
Hope you can make it :)

Warm regards,

thanks helene for your posts