What's the nightlife like in Saigon, any pubs, live musics venues?

What's the nightlife like in Saigon?

I don't care much for nightclubs but are there a good range of bars, pubs, and live music venues?

Places playing different music styles and stuff going on 7 nights a week?

Hello Scotsman84  :cheers:

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post, so as to better share infos regarding this subject with other members too.

Hope there will be a lot of infos that will make this thread a sticked one on the forum!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi there
if you are interested in instrument music,then try Piano cafe 27 ho xuan huong street.ward 6.district 3.show starts at 7.30.finishes at 19.30.
show includes piano.guitar.cello.and you can order songs you want to hear.
T.

OP, ironically, I came across this article this morning and then just saw your post. (I'm an avid live music fan myself)

http://www.citypassguide.com/vietnam-tr … ues-saigon

Another decent one not on the list is Accoustic Bar, but it's a very young crowd (think teens - early 20s)

Overall, the live music scene here leaves a little to be desired but it could be worse; it's gotten better in the 3.5 years I've been here and should only get better.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the information.

What are the local crowds like at bars, clubs, concerts etc?

Similar to the Thai's in that they just sit / stand round their table drinking and talking or do they mingle and dance and jump about to the music?

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/As … G-C-1.html

Dejavu.dot wrote:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Vietnam/Thanh_Pho_Ho_Chi_Minh/Ho_Chi_Minh_City-1470720/Nightlife-Ho_Chi_Minh_City-TG-C-1.html

Thanks for the link.

Are all these places aimed at tourists and expats or are there some local bars on that list too?

I'm sure Apocalypse Now, Q Bar, Underground are places I can remember from my previous 2 visits to Siagon and isn't really what I'm looking for.

If it's a backpacker bar or a full blown expat hangout then it's not really the sort of place I like.

Which of those bars are more local hangouts?

Thanks

Dude, you're over-thinking this.

The bars you list are not expat or tourist hangouts.  I know many locals who go to those places, and it seems like somebody always wants to meet at Apocalypse Now (Apo).   I'm talking young, professional Vietnamese who live and work in the area, male and female, single and otherwise.  They all enjoy the same things we do -- music, drinking, dancing, eating, etc.

I would not worry about whether a place is for locals versus foreigners, because for the most part, the young Vietnamese that hang out in them don't think of them that way.  They go there to have fun and hang out with their friends, regardless of who else is there.

Dude, you're over-thinking this.

The bars you list are not expat or tourist hangouts.  I know many locals who go to those places, and it seems like somebody always wants to meet at Apocalypse Now (Apo).   I'm talking young, professional Vietnamese who live and work in the area, male and female, single and otherwise.  They all enjoy the same things we do -- music, drinking, dancing, eating, etc.

I would not worry about whether a place is for locals versus foreigners, because for the most part, the young Vietnamese that hang out in them don't think of them that way.  They go there to have fun and hang out with their friends, regardless of who else is there.

I'm not over thinking it I just know what I like and don't like.

I definitely don't like your typical 'backpacker bar' anymore. Been there and done that and it's not for me anymore.

And most of the generic expat / british / irish / american sports bars you find in SE Asia (and around the world) just aren't my thing.

Usually overpriced and poor imitations of bad pubs from back home.

I like the find local spots and scenes.

go to Sax on Le loi Boulevard, D1. They play there Jazz every night.

Some that others may want to try...

Seventeen Saloon

Hard Rock Cafe

Vuvuzela

Beer Kingdom

Xu

Carmen

There is no night-life in Ho Chi Minh - unless you like a lot of noise, lots of lights, lots of smoking and  [moderated: can be offensive] but no night life.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Lion bar German restaurant, good German bier brewed on the premises: http://www.lionsaigon.com/home/en.html

Bernies bar: http://www.berniesirishpub.com/

May restaurant: http://may-cloud.com/en/

Me and You bar (AKA May bar) - used to be the zanZbar: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R … _City.html

Maxim - meet local artists and musicians as well as professional young Vn folk; drink cocktails, wine, beer, dance the night away: http://www.maxims.com.vn/

Smile bar: http://www.vietnamonline.com/yp/ho-chi- … e-bar.html (take condoms with you).

There are hundreds and hundreds of bars and small restaurants in Saigon. Google is your friend.

Dr. G wrote:

There is no night-life in Ho Chi Minh - unless you like a lot of noise, lots of lights, lots of smoking and [moderated: can be offensive] but no night life.

Sounds like my kind of place. Does it have a website?

Is Sax on Le loi Boulevard, D1. good? I would like to try. Is there any classical guitar music in the town? Thanks all.

I prefer Brozeit beer club in Kumho tower, Le duan street.

I have read your topic, u can go to Pham Ngu Lao street, there are a lot of bar, the best y should join at 9pm, so fun and many vietnamese girls. There are also local. I don't remember address but i will give you address after i ask my friend.

Just saw the topic, I'd like to recommend Xu restaurant and lounge at 71 -75 Hai Ba Trung, come to enjoy your time in the bar downstair. There are live/DJ music every Friday and Saturday, so it is pretty busy those days. Many local people and expats come there. By the way, remember to wear shoes and polite shirts since they don't welcome guests who wear sandals or slippers.

Carmen is known for flamenco guitar. Piano in Ho Xuan Huong is great for piano, guitar and violin. For jazz or blues, you can go to Sax. To enjoy rumba or other upbeat dances, the bar in caravelle hotel is also a deserving place.

Has anyone here mention about Lush? The music is so good. Last sat I was there. 2 blond female Djs did an awesome music nite. Everybody got high!
Highly recommend if you wanna have real fun!

You should change in to "Night life in bars" otherwise it's little scary  :)

If you are in to Rock Music, i recommend you try to google "Saigon Rock Fan Club" , or  "Acoustic", those places are quite unique with good music

Hi Scotsman84

That seems you wont find any bars as what you want in city center. You may like to sit down drinking something and enjoying the melody of music. This kind of bar is located in the surrounding districts, not in city center or foreigner place as dist 3 and dist 2. Most of bars in city center are decorated by western style and all over price...

If you are living nearby Thu Duc district, I can recommend you to try "khong dat ten cafe". They play different kinds o music everyday. You can check their schedule and decide which day of week to go there. They play both English and Vietnamese songs. Guest can drink coffee, fruit smoothy, etc while listening to music

Your kind of bar is like a cafe with live music for local people. :-D

Hope you did find your favourite one

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Scotsman84,

Glad to know that you are interested in the nightlife of Saigon. Well, it is, firstly, traffic, traffic jam everywhere and noisy after 5:00-6:00pm :-) Secondly, hm.. The Vietnam local (especially the youth) often go to coffee shops, not bars/ pub. Bars are popular in Sai Gon due to foreigners and because of the remaining culture/ style after 1975. If you would like to experience the hang-out place of the local with concert performance, you can drop by Coi Rieng in Nguyen Trong Tuyen Street, they play piano & violon from 8:00pm. Black & White coffee (Den Trang cafe) is also an option, they display a big violon at the corner near the black piano, Den Trang located in Tu Xuong Street, District 3 I think. In case you prefer a windy place, let try the 9th floor of Caravelle hotel, comfortable atmosphere and nice view to Saigon nightlife, smoking & non-smoking area.

Hope this is 'workable' for you. Explore & enjoy hah!

Ps.: any query or 'complain' about my recommendation, please let me know :-) ;-)

Cheers,

Nga

The best bars are the ones where the locals drink, good place to mingle and network

Hi

I am Ashok travelling to HCNC from 26 Dec-2014 to 2nd Jan-2015 and looking for company to have dinner, drink coffee and beer.

Thanks

I will try...

Hi,

You can search for some bars that offer live music. Actually, most of places in Saigon offer live music, aka, guitar playing is also counted. :D You can try use some apps to search for places to head for in Vietnam. Such as Foody (places to eat and drink, Vietnamese only though), Clingme (English version available)...

I am not sure this may help! :D

Please, some advice of Nepal restaurants??

hi all, is there much in the way of theatre, been to water puppet and opera house, any more ? local artists, not keen on loud pub stuff!!

Hi, I think Chill sky bar and Lush is good places to be.

Scotsman ;

I was told there were good nightclubs , but most of the people I talk to do not hang out there .
Oddly I 've been told that the streets empty out and night time is ?? Not the time " good elements " are out . This can be said of any city I was ever in though .  I live in USA, so am spoiled a bit . Hey our Cops are tough though
Here NO drink and drive not even motor scooter . No .
Hope Saigon is better .

Cheers ,: VV

Not much of a help I know but a few years back I visited a couple of night clubs in Saigon, now admittedly I am getting on a bit but I have never heard noise like that, it made the clubs back in the UK seem quiet, sort of jet engine loud and one for each ear, you could not order a drink by speaking, you had to write it down and the waitress handed you the pen and paper to do it, my whole body was shaking and I just could not wait to get outside, I tell you it scarred me for life and something I never wish to experience again, how in gods name people can put up with that is beyond me, certainly cant be to healthy.

Daveinvietnam :
Sounds like most dance Techno , or Indie Bars in Seattle .
Here music is not good if you cannot be absorbed by the experience ... hey ... that is the point after all .
In Anacortes ( San Juan Islands ) things are more sedate .
I like Classical performances , Jazz , and Techno if beat is good and I am 54 .... OMG !
Hooch aside good music is good music .
Love that .
Hope to find it there . Cheers . VV

VietnamVenice3260 wrote:

Daveinvietnam :
Sounds like most dance Techno , or Indie Bars in Seattle .
Here music is not good if you cannot be absorbed
Into the performance .
In Anacortes ( San Juan Islands ) things are more sedate .
I like Classical performances , Jjazz , and Techno if beat is good and I an 54 .... OMG !
Hooch aside good music is good music .
Love that .
Hope to find it there . Cheers . VV

Once again going slightly of topic [people get upset about that] haha, I was in Hanoi once and very near to the big lake I strolled into this jazz club and had one of the most enjoyable nights ever in Vietnam, turns out Thursday nights was a sort of amateur night and anyone could get up and perform, well these guys where good and what a relaxed and chilled evening I had, great memory.

Brother from another Mother :

Dave , yeah that would be real , just cool , people given it a go , spontaneity , the relaxed and friendly atmosphere would be great . Yeah ...
Off topic , but VERY eye opening . The big brassy clubs an pubs are not the best . No .
Just gotta dig brother .  V.V.

I'd like to go the next time I'm there.