Payment methods in Ireland

Hello everyone,

Once you're settled in Ireland, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Which are the most common payment methods in Ireland? Why would you prefer some forms over others?

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Ireland?

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Ireland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Ireland is nice basic payment is cash you can pay with card nearly on every shop if need any help before moving let me know

Hi Priscilla,

Usually, Visa and Mastercard are the most accepted cards here.
It wasn't easy to open a bank account here, they wanted my pps number (It is your social security number here) and a proof of address. (I just skipped the pps number, and they sent a code in post to verify my address, and it was easy and flawless).

Contactless cards are also accepted almost everywhere (except public transport, where you can pay by cash or their local leap public transport card.

I was able to open a bank account in the mobile application of AIB even without them.

They also accept euros everywhere.

Some places accept other cards as well, like American Express, but this is not everywhere.

Maybe others can tell more. I'm curious because this is what I tried so far.