Payment methods in Brazil

Hello everyone,

Once you're settled in Brazil, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Which are the most common payment methods in Brazil? Why would you prefer some forms over others?

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Brazil?

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Brazil?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Once youre settled in Brazil, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Which are the most common payment methods in Brazil? Why would you prefer some forms over others?
Cash, Credit card and after becoming a PR can make payments at bank or bank app.
Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?
Yes. Only allowed to transfer a certain amount of funds into BR, so cash needs to be held. CC are accepted in most places.

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Brazil?
Yes bank apps allow paying online via pagmento feature on app.
Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?
No. Some contractors will take U$D and they exchange to reals

Yes. No checks. Can have many utilities paid automatically through banks and as said can pay via bank app on many bills.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Once youre settled in Brazil, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Credit cards for restaurants, entertainment and groceries because I get a 4% cash back on certain purchases. I carry cash to pay other bills and also to pay "boleto bancarios" and at places where "cash only" is demanded.

Yes. I hate counting money and then receiving heavy coins as change and putting them in my pocket. I have jars of coins in my possession and need to be deposited in a bank. So, a credit card implementation is necessary... And then I receive monetary gratification just to use them.

Yes. There are apps that you can use from banks and even from supermarkets/grocery stores.

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments? No. Only after converting them to reais.

Not really. In Brazil, the use of checks has literally been abandoned. Some stores specifically mention
"checks not accepted" - only cash or credit cards. I have not used Apple Pay or similar apps to pay.

Priscilla

We pay cash for small purchases, like water for the water cooler, and the offering at Mass.  We also pay cash for Uber - the drivers appreciate it, and then it's out of the way. 
Here in the North there's a chronic shortage of coin (and sporadically, even R$2 and R$5 notes!), so we use our debit cards for most other purchases, including groceries and R$5-R$10 purchases that we'd otherwise pay with cash, because of the difficulty in making change.  Supposedly, we'll see a discount on our IPTU next year for providing  CPF at point of sale, so we've been doing that; we'll see at yearend whether it's worth the trouble.
We pay boletos of all kinds, including our health insurance and condominium assessments, through the bank's app or online by computer.  We also pay contractors and craftspeople that way for work in the apartment, if they have bank accounts:  it's safer for both parties than carrying wads of cash around.
People without bank accounts can pay utility bills in cash at any Lottery outlet.  Boletos can also be paid at the bank that issued them.
All payments by law must be in Reais; occasionally someone might be willing to skirt that a little, but there's not much point.
We've found acceptance of US credit cards to be limited here.  Our gym membership is the only recurring charge I've been able to put on one, the credit card price is usually higher, and I've had cards rejected more than once for major purchases.  Amazon.com.br does accept them, though.  In contrast, debit cards generally get the cash discount, which is normal here.
As others have said,checks are obsolete, and not used.  The banks don't even issue checkbooks anymore, unless requested.
In summary, the bulk of our major billpaying is online, as it was in the US.  We use debit cards more, cash somewhat less, credit cards a lot less, and checks not at all.

It's interesting the differences in the regions. Here, being a large tourist area, international cards are accepted in many places. Many use debit cards at the bank ATM's. Many do not enjoy using debit cards here due to many unsecured WiFi connections and less protection of their money in the banks.
Yes coins are not being used. Parking meters have gone to "ticket machines". A few years ago many places would just reduce the bill to a rounded amount due to Mercado's and lojas not having enough coins for change.  I would go to my mercado and give them all my change for paper money. Manager now calls me "Americano amigo!" (But no discounts.... but having friends is just as well.)

Tex

Very true about debit cards - we ONLY use the debit cards associated with our Brazilian accounts for purchases, never my US card.  Before I had a Brazilian bank account, I only used that card to get cash from ATMs within bank lobbies, not at malls, and certainly not in shops.  Too many stories of those machines being fitted with clandestine card readers.
Now, it lives in a RF-blocking pouch in my wallet, and never comes out to play.

Same here. I do not use BR debit unless paying at a bank. Did relied on it before CRMN

I use Cash, Debit and Credit...There is a Time Payment in most Stores even the Pharmacy.....Most Stores offer Payment plans for 10 to 12 months here in Northeast Brazil State of Bahia, the catch you must have a Brazilian Bank Issued Credit Card...even though it Maybe a "International Debit or Credit Card" it must be a Card Issued by a Brazilian Bank. The Problem with Time Payments is "The Corporation " Blocks Foreign Cards"..it is funny when I make a 100r purchase I am asked if I would like to Pay on Time Payment Plan and I be like "It's Only $25.00usd" smh.... and that's when the fun begins....lol...I use only Visa and Mastercard. ..

My lady.👄 use's Checks .....lol... :/

My Cards Block Sketchy Loja Credit and Debit Card Machines, the only Problems I have had are with a Particular Card Reader, we will leave it namelss...lol...Most Merchants have the Card Machine now that is Secure and Accepts International Chpped Cards, I guess the guy at the little Sushi Restaurant got tired of making my Sushi and his Prior Card Reader wouldn't Accept, I allways have Cash, he got the 1 that works now....

Well no sushi today , but I will think of you when grilling salmon and bone in sirloin steak. Smoking low and slow a couple "yard birds" for tomorrow.
Neighbors will go crazy trying to figure out what I am cooking with the mesquite (soaked n Jim Beam) smoking chips.

At least, your neighbor has learned that he won't get any love by coming to the door and complaining about the smoke.  :lol:
Sounds like the folks down in the Sul Maravilha have an easier time with foreign credit cards than we do upcountry.   Not surprising, I guess.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Well no sushi today , but I will think of you when grilling salmon and bone in sirloin steak. Smoking low and slow a couple "yard birds" for tomorrow.
Neighbors will go crazy trying to figure out what I am cooking with the mesquite (soaked n Jim Beam) smoking chips.

I'll be the 1Upper (Alaska monicker the "Upper 1"/smh).
Okay Festa my house somewhere in Bahia...Barbeque  Leg and Ribs of Goat, Sundried with a delicate dusting of Himalayan Salt, cooked slowly over a bed of lump charcoal, with Chicken Grilled and a bevy of local fruits and Vegetables,  paid  Cash for all, don't want to dilute the Topic :dumbom::/:offtopic: ..lol...No JD only Coconut and Orange Peel maybe throw in a banana leaf on the coals for good measure, my neighbor will ride his moto over to complain about the smoke and I will say it's from Para and the 72,000+ fires in the Amazon and he can call Jair and throw him a bone ,cauz I am that kinda neighbor...lol.. I am thinking Chutney or Mango Barbeque Sauce with a smidgen of Orange Cognac and chase it with a Adult Beverage and Fire Contol by Heineken. ..or a Local cerveja...and that's how you barbeque...I'll send the desert menu by PM....lmbo

abthree wrote:

At least, your neighbor has learned that he won't get any love by coming to the door and complaining about the smoke.  :lol:
Sounds like the folks down in the Sul Maravilha have an easier time with foreign credit cards than we do upcountry.   Not surprising, I guess.

Us in Barrio Alta de Maravilha are having a good time with the Cards here and we have no problem with change after they round up/ down the price (Brasil)  My lady.👄 sister runs a small store, she brings the coins to our place, my girl counts and takes to the grocery store as they dread her and say here comes the "Gringo's Wife"...lol... ..they allways ask me for change and I be l I ke I got a girlfriend she takes all my change..smh...

Your plastic under VISA & Mastercard is good here.  In using debit accounts, you need to make sure your local banker is aware you will be pulling funds to make purchases in Brasil.  Otherwise they can block your debit based transations at a moment's notice without warning.   

While sitting before the branch manager, who will be making the entry at his/her desk, be mindfull to establish how much and for how long this will take place. 

As far as withdrawling cash, then it gets a little more complicated,  not all banks process withdraws from foreign plastic. Your best choice then  is to set aside some cash funds and pre purchase a prepaid pre loaded debit card that works here so that you can make circumstancial withdrawls. 

If you elect to start a banking account in Brazil, you will need to get an individual Tax ID, similar to the US Social Security Number. 

For all intents and purposes, assuming FATCA considerations and your peace of mind, start withdrawing what you need from your country of origin banking accounts.  Be frugal in your spending patterns,  thought.

We use Credit card, Debit Cards and Cash.
I use mainly my local debit card, for all normal use, but if it is big purchases, we use credit cards.
To take cash from ATM, I normally take it with a foreign debit card or credit card, and then put it i to my brazilian bank account, and then use the local debit card.
I transfer some money to brazil, from abroad, mainly to pay all my monthly bills.
For Uber I like to use cash, but I also use either uber cash or a credit card, because the driver never has any change.
I normally withdraw cash from Bradesco ATM.
I use ITAU as my local bank, but their ATM is only for ITAU cards.
To se a debit card, i need to push credit card, in the bradesco ATM. If i puch on debit card, i will not get anything. It is the same if i go to the supermarket, and pay vit a foreign debit card..then i say credit card, when they ask.

In Sao Paulo, most convenience stores and some public places house multi card ATMs where you can use your debit/credit card.  You will see them at subways, train stations, public venues.  Gas Stations also have them in their C-Stores