Power Cuts in Vung Tau

sanooku wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
sanooku wrote:

Seems the power company always says '2 hours', and power returns way before more often than not.

The manager of my building relays us messages from power company and his messages always says '2 hours'.

Beware.

If they ever say "3 hours"...

Are you more worried that 10 minutes will become 15 minutes, or 3 hours will become 3 hours?

Yes, the latter.

I'm thinking they've always been taught to say 2 hours as a way of keeping people satisfied when the job takes 10 to 30 minutes.

When I worked in sales in a department store in California, when we would put someone on hold, we were instructed to always tell them it would be two or three minutes before we got back to them.

And we were told we would lose our job if we kept them on hold for more than a minute

So I'm thinking if they say 3 hours, they are going off script.

It could really be 3 hours OR it could be they have no idea in the world how long it's going to be.

That's my paranoid thinking 😉

I'll guess that the power near Hem 97 on Phan Chu Trinh went out shortly after 5 AM this morning.

I woke up about 5:20 AM with my CPAP mask seemingly suffocating me.

Now it's 8:30 AM and this is the longest power outage I've experienced here so far.

Unfortunately, the solar power reserves in this building are also failing at the moment.

It's been great to have a few lights and a couple of electrical outlets functioning during power outages in the past.

Even the backup lights in the stairwell aren't on.

Fortunately the weather is pleasant this morning, so I can survive without air conditioning.

As far as I know, the power is scheduled to be off until late afternoon.

Not sure if this affects the whole town or just certain areas, which is usually the case.

I'm going to shave by candlelight and take a refreshing cold shower, then head out in search of a place with some power.

johnross23 wrote:

As far as I know, the power is scheduled to be off until late afternoon.

Not sure if this affects the whole town or just certain areas, which is usually the case.

I'm going to shave by candlelight and take a refreshing cold shower, then head out in search of a place with some power.

Fortunately there are places cooking with gas.

Since my housekeeper can't do much of her usual work in the apartment, we've headed down the street to The Travellers for coffee and an omelet.

http://pcvungtau.evnspc.vn/Th%C3%B4ng-t … %E1%BB%87n

Down here they are about 98% accurate.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:

http://pcvungtau.evnspc.vn/Th%C3%B4ng-tin-m%E1%BA%A5t-%C4%91i%E1%BB%87n

Rick

Thanks for that, Rick.

Even translated I can't decipher the reference areas very well.

If this was scheduled, I wonder why I didn't get a notice?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Thanks for that, Rick.

Well OB what you can do to get your location is read it off the EVN bill you get every month and match it with the areas that are scheduled to be cutoff, or a better way is to get your customer ID# off the bill and put it in the box on the right side of the web page that's marked:

Khách hàng có thể tra cứu chính xác thông tin lịch ngừng cung cấp điện bằng cách nhập Mã khách hàng vào ô này:

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Thanks for that, Rick.

Well OB what you can do to get your location is read it off the EVN bill you get every month and match it with the areas that are scheduled to be cutoff, or a better way is to get your customer ID# off the bill and put it in the box on the right side of the web page that's marked:

Khách hàng có thể tra cứu chính xác thông tin lịch ngừng cung cấp điện bằng cách nhập Mã khách hàng vào ô này:

Rick

Ah!

Very good.

Thanks, Rick!

So much for 6 to 5. 12 hours without power is just a bit over the top!

zincity wrote:

So much for 6 to 5. 12 hours without power is just a bit over the top!

Agreed.

Now it's 6:25 PM and I'm having dinner at Belly's because they have a good generator.

This happened to me once in Quy Nhơn, but my landlord was able to warn me 48 hours in advance.

Then I made the choice to drive down the coast to a resort outside the planned outage area and spent two nights in comfort before heading back to the city.

If this was a planned outage, I'm more than a little upset that no one gave me the opportunity to make a similar choice this time.

Looking at the list of streets on the EVN notice, it's obviously a major repair.

colinoscapee wrote:

Looking at the list of streets on the EVN notice, it's obviously a major repair.

Power back on at about 7:14 PM

Something like 14 hours

Exactly 14 hrs. We had packed a bag and were 2 minutes away from booking a hotel. Right now I am not sure I am more relived or more pissed!
14 freaking hours and no notice from our apartment!
You got to think the service techs though they were only doing a tummy tuck and it turned out to be a triple heart bypass.

colinoscapee wrote:

Yes, that's true. However, at the same time a large portion of the town was not affected. If you head out to areas that still have power, you can still enjoy a pretty good day in spite of the powercut.

I had lunch and ran into an old friend at the Offshore. That area was fine. Afterwards, headed up Le Loi, which was normal, then onto Le Hong Phong (normal) and spent a couple hours at Highlands before returning around 4 with the expectation that the electricity would come on a bit early.

Once it started getting dark, I gave up and went to Kozak for dinner, where everything was also normal.

colinoscapee wrote:

while coming home from VT centre to Phuong 10 around 6 pm, the motorbike lane was closed from the roundabout at 3 tháng 2/Nguyen An Ninh. There was a sign with writing 'điện' and some trucks parked on the motorbike lane at that roundabout. motorbikes had to use the lanes reserved for cars and other vehicles up to the next intersection.

Looked like they were working on the powerlines that go alongside the 3 tháng 2. certain areas didn't have electricity (as I couldn't see any lights. No street lights either). Was worried that when i got home there won't be any electricity, but as I approached home there were street lights and it turned out we weren't affected.

To make things more strange. The manager at my apartment sent us a message last week saying that there is a scheduled power cut on 25/11 (yesterday) between 08:00 and 15:00 by order of notice 114097.

So I made all preparations and ensured I wasn't home between these times. Called him around 4pm yesterday to ask if power had returned. He said power cut never happened.

After I came home around 6:15 pm, cooked dinner, and as I was finishing eating there was a small power cut for about 10 minutes. That was around 7 pm.

Another power cut announced for today (02.12.2020) between 0800 and 1500 didn't go ahead as planned. Manager of apartment building notified us about it on 28.11.2020.

Soon after 0800 I went on the evn website and checked power cuts scheduled for today. Two entries came up. Neither of them was for our street.

About this:

Budman1 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Thanks for that, Rick.

Rick

I've asked managed for our EVN customer code so that any further announcements can be checked on the evn website on the night before and on the morning of the scheduled power cut.

He's sent me customer code. Enteed it on evn website. But an error comes up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzaqgair1cmueih/vung-tau-electricity-cuts-search-using-customer-number---.png?raw=1

Can someone tell me if they've been able to access their power cut schedule using their customer code?

The PB number I'm entering has 11 digits. However, the example given on website (see screenshot above) seems to have 12 digits. i.e. PBXXXXXXXXXXXX.

As a test, I tried adding 1 digit and also tried removing 1 digit from our 11 digit customer number. Then I get this error:

Mã khách hàng không hợp lệ (Invalid customer code)

So, it seems the 11 digit customer code I'm entering is correct. It's just not returning the result due to some database permissions issue. I'd be grateful if someone can confirm they are facing same issue.

sanooku wrote:

Another power cut announced for today (02.12.2020) between 0800 and 1500 didn't go ahead as planned. Manager of apartment building notified us about it on 28.11.2020.

Soon after 0800 I went on the evn website and checked power cuts scheduled for today. Two entries came up. Neither of them was for our street.

About this:

Budman1 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Thanks for that, Rick.

Rick

I've asked managed for our EVN customer code so that any further announcements can be checked on the evn website on the night before and on the morning of the scheduled power cut.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzaqgair1cmue … .png?raw=1

Can someone tell me if they've been able to access their power cut schedule using their customer code?

The PB number I'm entering has 11 digits. However, the example given on website (see screenshot above) seems to have 12 digits. i.e. PBXXXXXXXXXXXX.

As a test, I tried adding 1 digit and also tried removing 1 digit from our 11 digit customer number. Then I get this error:

So, it seems the 11 digit customer code I'm entering is correct. It's just not returning the result due to some database permissions issue. I'd be grateful if someone can confirm they are facing same issue.

Beer time right now. I'll tell you how tomorrow.
Rick

sanooku wrote:

About this:

Budman1 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Thanks for that, Rick.

Rick

Was that a leading zero you added to make it a 12 digit number? That's what I would try

Budman1 wrote:
sanooku wrote:

About this:

Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Rick

Well you need to register online first, here (I think) is a link to it:

http://pcbariavungtau.evnspc.vn/

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
sanooku wrote:

About this:

Rick

Rick

Well, there is only an option to register to buy electricity - Đăng ký mua điện (register to buy electricity).

Anyway, if it was to do with registering I'd say the error message should be something like "Customer - please ensure you register' - not some SQL server gobbledygook.

BTW, I've dug out a EVN Ba Ria Vung Tau letter from a previous apartment I stayed at. Customer code is PB then 11 digits. When that customer code is entered, same story. Same gobbledygook.

sanooku wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Rick

Well, there is only an option to register to buy electricity - Đăng ký mua điện (register to buy electricity).

Anyway, if it was to do with registering I'd say the error message should be something like "Customer - please ensure you register' - not some SQL server gobbledygook.

BTW, I've dug out a EVN Ba Ria Vung Tau letter from a previous apartment I stayed at. Customer code is PB then 11 digits. When that customer code is entered, same story. Same gobbledygook.

Ya it's there you just have to work at getting to that point. Open the web page up, convert it to English. Then click on the online services tab, the tab itself not any of the drop downs. Then close the pop up off when the new page opens. Then click on the VN flag  on the far right top, that should drop down the the English flag. After that page opens on the right of the English page next to the search symbol is the thing you need to click next and it should open to the registration  part of the site. Fill it out and you should be good to go IF you have a valid customer code.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
sanooku wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Ya it's there you just have to work at getting to that point. Open the web page up, convert it to English. Then click on the online services tab, the tab itself not any of the drop downs. Then close the pop up off when the new page opens. Then click on the VN flag  on the far right top, that should drop down the the English flag. After that page opens on the right of the English page next to the search symbol is the thing you need to click next and it should open to the registration  part of the site. Fill it out and you should be good to go IF you have a valid customer code.

Rick

We are registered already. Can't register again.

When I go through the convoluted steps you told me then enter Username (I want to use), Customer code, Password, Re-enter password, phone number, email, how I'd like to confirm setup (email or phone), capcha code. Then hit 'ĐĂNG KÝ' (Register)

message is shown in red.

'Bạn đã có một tài khoản được đăng ký theo mã khách hàng này PBXXXXXXXXXXX'

which google translate translates as:

'You already have an account registered under this customer code PBXXXXXXXXXXX'

Note: I've substituted X's where our customer code would normally appear.

p.s. It could be that I need to login first, before checking power cut schedule using customer code. Has anyone actually been able to check power cut schedule using customer code? (be that after logging in or not)

convoluted steps??? your on your own dude.
Rick

Budman1 wrote:

Rick

What?

Not charmed?

You deserve  :one because you held in there so long...

;)

Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Not your convoluted steps buddy - the evn website's.

When i tried it this morning (while completly sober), it took me a while to figure out where to click initially. Then I got the hang of it and got to the registration bit, thanks to your instructions.

For where to click initially, I was going by my limited Vietnamese skills.

Anyway, has someone managed to check their power cut schedule using thier customer code after logging in or without logging in?

You are a champion 🏆 if you can answer the above.

sanooku wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

When i tried it this morning (while completly sober), it took me a while to figure out where to click initially. Then I got the hang of it and got to the registration bit, thanks to your instructions.

For where to click initially, I was going by my limited Vietnamese skills.

Like me, if any expats or foreigners don't have the convert to English feature for the whole EVN webpage.

Look (or search) for the button at the top 'dịch vụ trực tuyến' (literally translates to 'service online').

In Vietanemse 'dịch vụ' means service. So, for example, customer service is 'dịch vụ khách hàng' or 'dịch vụ quý khách' (literally translates to 'service customer' - other way round to English)

I only knew the phrase 'dịch vụ' so guessed that 'trực tuyến' must mean 'online'.

So, like a fellow forumite has quite correctly said, click on the button that says 'dịch vụ trực tuyến' (not the options listed on the drop-down list when you hover over that button)

sanooku wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
sanooku wrote:

Rick

We are registered already. Can't register again.
p.s. It could be that I need to login first, before checking power cut schedule using customer code. Has anyone actually been able to check power cut schedule using customer code? (be that after logging in or not)

Judging by the radio silence, I take it nobody has actually tried?

Don't worry. I've checked after logging in. Same result:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'spc_traCuuKHMatDien', database 'SDDT', schema 'dbo'. at SonVTCSKHHelper.Database.MSSqlDB.CallProcedure(String spName, IDbDataParameter[] sqlParams) at TTCSKH_OMS.OMS.GetLichCatDienByCustId(String CID) at TTCSKH_OMS.TTCSKH.GetLichCatDienByCustId(String CID) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Back where I come from we say 'Don't knock it until you've tried it'. I think the opposite should also be true 'Don't praise it until you've tried it'.

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : offensive comment

Power went off at 7:30 today at back beach area but nothing showing on the website.

zincity wrote:

Power went off at 7:30 today at back beach area but nothing showing on the website.

My landlord alerted me last week that our apartment building near 182 Phan Chu Trinh would loose power today, so I'm spending a couple of days at a Back Beach hotel, north of the flagpoles, where power is uninterrupted.

I'm guessing any Back Beach power outage was limited to the area south of Hoàng Hoa Thám?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
zincity wrote:

My landlord alerted me last week that our apartment building near 182 Phan Chu Trinh would loose power today, so I'm spending a couple of days at a Back Beach hotel, north of the flagpoles, where power is uninterrupted.

I'm guessing any Back Beach power outage was limited to the area south of Hoàng Hoa Thám?

You must be a little farther north than we are. 172 Hoàng Hoa Thám is without power.
Still wondering why nothing on the website for VT city today if you had that much notice?

Power cuts have become much better over the years in VN, although it's common to have scheduled power cuts mostly during the weekend, and can take en entire day to restore. 

Unscheduled power cuts can also happen from time to time, ranging from just a few minutes to a few hours for maintenance and during storms, heavy rainfall etc..

Recently the electricity rates have been reduced by 10% for households consuming less than 300 kWh per month all over VN.

Investing in a generator and high capacity chargers can help quite a bit during these outages!

zincity wrote:

Kế Hoạch
Đột Xuất

Just in case you didn't notice there are two tabs on the website to check the outages. I looked at it today, but I'm not familiar with the Vung Tau area. It appears though that there were two scheduled outages starting at 0730hrs today.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
zincity wrote:

Kế Hoạch
Đột Xuất

Just in case you didn't notice there are two tabs on the website to check the outages. I looked at it today, but I'm not familiar with the Vung Tau area. It appears though that there were two scheduled outages starting at 0730hrs today.

Rick

Your about the 2 tabs but there was nothing scheduled for VT city today and tomorrow's is not near back beach.

(Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2020
Long Dien    07h30 - 12h00    An Thanh Hamlet - An Ngai Commune - Long Dien District    Medium voltage transmission line XDM and 3x25kVA substation Power supply for Viêt Kim Fishery Company Limited - An Ngai Commune - Long Dien District and coordinate green tree clearing to prevent storms
Date: Wednesday 30/12/2020
Vung Tau city    08:00 - 15:00    Part of the odd number 30/4 street (from No Trang Long to Ẹo Ong Tu) in Rach Dua ward, ward 11, 12    Clamp maintenance, cleaning and inspection of TU-TI dedicated substations. Maintenance, clamping, cleaning LA, FCO of public transformer stations. Replace the medium voltage wire branch of Cat Dia port)

Its strange, in 12 years of living in one house in Australia, not one single outage. In Vietnam and many other SEA countries it's a common occurence....why?

colinoscapee wrote:

Its strange, in 12 years of living in one house in Australia, not one single outage. In Vietnam and many other SEA countries it's a common occurence....why?

I was actually going to just reply that in the two years I've been in D2 we have had exactly one outage that lasted for more than two minutes, maybe two more that were blinks for a minute.  Check that, there were two.  One was someone that drove into a transformer and knocked it out for an hour.

The sad thing is the one couple hour one that we had just happened to be on one of the weeks that I wasn't here in Vietnam.  It was out when my wife and daughter woke up.  The electric roll up security door was closed overnight and they couldn't open it so my daughter missed the one annual field trip at school that year.  She was bummed.  She was really bummed when I talked to my wife that night and explained to her that the chain on the side was a manual door raise.  She said she tried it and it didn't do anything.  Well, she just didn't realise that it pulled through the gear reduction drive and a lot of pulls on the chain loop moved the door very slowly and it did in fact open the door.  She just didn't notice it moving.  I was sad for both of them.  They were "stuck " in the house until close to noon and she missed the field trip.

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I was actually going to just reply that in the two years I've been in D2 we have had exactly one outage that lasted for more than two minutes, maybe two more that were blinks for a minute.  Check that, there were two.  One was someone that drove into a transformer and knocked it out for an hour.

The sad thing is the one couple hour one that we had just happened to be on one of the weeks that I wasn't here in Vietnam.  It was out when my wife and daughter woke up.  The electric roll up security door was closed overnight and they couldn't open it so my daughter missed the one annual field trip at school that year.  She was bummed.  She was really bummed when I talked to my wife that night and explained to her that the chain on the side was a manual door raise.  She said she tried it and it didn't do anything.  Well, she just didn't realise that it pulled through the gear reduction drive and a lot of pulls on the chain loop moved the door very slowly and it did in fact open the door.  She just didn't notice it moving.  I was sad for both of them.  They were "stuck " in the house until close to noon and she missed the field trip.

Are you living near Thao Dien?

colinoscapee wrote:

I'm across the highway in An Phu.  About 1km from Mega Market.

SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

There must be someone powerful living in your area, very few powercuts.

colinoscapee wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

There must be someone powerful living in your area, very few powercuts.

Literally hundreds of houses in the 30-50billion range so I suspect that is true.  Ours is a small house and it's 17 billion based on the one right behind us that sold for that last month.  4×20 meter lot.

sanooku wrote:

About this:

Budman1 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Thanks for that, Rick.

Rick

For checking power cut schedule with customer code, use this link instead:

https://cskh.evnspc.vn/DichVuTTCSKH/Dic … PC?index=7

WHy? I hear you ask. Well, I contacted owner of our apartments and asked her to report the error with the previous link to the power company. She got back to me with the link above. I checked it about three weeks ago using our customer code. It said 'THÔNG BÁO! Từ ngày 08-12-2020 đến ngày 23-12-2020 quý khách không có lịch ngừng giảm cung cấp điện.'. (means no power cut between those dates)

Funnily enough, even if I put 'testing' in to the customer code field it would come up with the same message. Anyway, we didn't have a power cut during that period so it seems link is working. Yesterday, I checked the link again. Put in our customer code and this time it's telling me that we have a scheduled power cut next week. So, again, link seems to be working. No idea if the power cut will actually go ahead though. Guess I'll check the night before and on the morning of the power cut to see if it's still showing.

If you wanna use the above link best to have customer code. Our building owner (nice lady) provided me this after I asked politely. If not you can still use the 'To' and 'From' dates to try and figure out when your power cut is. For that, click on the tab 'tìm kiếm theo công ty Điện lực - Điện lực'.

In the next screen select 'Công ty Điện lực Ba Ria - Vung Tau'  and 'Điện lực Thanh Pho Vung Tau'  then hit 'Tra Cuu'. To be honest, this look way more complicated than using the previously discussed link:

http://pcvungtau.evnspc.vn/Th%C3%B4ng-t … %E1%BB%87n

because the old link by default shows you everything without having to select items from drop down lists.

Another difference is that, with the old link the kế hoạch (plan) and đột xuất (unexpected) are in seperate tabs, whereas with the new link they are together.

No idea how long the entries hang around during/after the event, if they do still appear while the power cut is happening, you could visit website on the day, then put that day for 'From' and 'to' then from the entries that come up figure out your address from the 'Phạm vi mất điện' (power failure range) field. Copy your streetname as it appears on there, then whenever you do a search for specific dates look for the text that you copied.