Power Cuts in Vung Tau

colinoscapee :
sanooku :
colinoscapee :

Trust me, they do get power cuts on PCT.

only occasionally - as posters currently living there have confirmed.

Even then they last 5 seconds/minutes, not 8+ hours.

We had powercuts there last year that lasted 9 hours.

Yes. I've lived on Hem 84 PCT for almost two years and can confirm we've had several 'all day' power cuts. Usually these are scheduled from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. However, the power can go off any time from 7:50 to 9:00 am and come back on any time between 4:00 to 6:00 pm.

The unscheduled power cuts can be any time of day and last from a few seconds to eight or nine hours... or more if there's a strong tropical storm that is only a couple of km/hr short of being classified as a typhoon - like Usagi last November.

It's Vietnam. You never know what's going to happen.  ;)

cruisemonkey :

Yes. I've lived on Hem 84 PCT for almost two years and can confirm we've had several 'all day' power cuts. Usually these are scheduled from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. However, the power can go off any time from 7:50 to 9:00 am and come back on any time between 4:00 to 6:00 pm.

The unscheduled power cuts can be any time of day and last from a few seconds to eight or nine hours... or more if there's a strong tropical storm that is only a couple of km/hr short of being classified as a typhoon - like Usagi last November.

Sounds like your PCT experience is somewhat different to your 'neighbour' who lives on the same street. Although, I presume she may not be living on a side street (like you) or perhaps on a side street but on a different part of PCT  (See post #13):

On PCT, our last power outage was supposed to be in May but was cancelled, so the last actual cut was in March.

She has not had a power cut since March. Could be that the PCT main street ( as opposed to hems) is less affected.

I suppose the pizza oven at Luca Pizza and Italian Restaurant needs electricity to run, and those expats/foreign tourists at Belly's bar watching sport would be so sad even if the power is off for 5 seconds.

sanooku :
cruisemonkey :

Sounds like your PCT experience is somewhat different to your 'neighbour' who lives on the same street. Although, I presume she may not be living on a side street (like you) or perhaps on a side street but on a different part of PCT  (See post #13):

On PCT, our last power outage was supposed to be in May but was cancelled, so the last actual cut was in March.

She has not had a power cut since March. Could be that the PCT main street ( as opposed to hems) is less affected.

I suppose the pizza oven at Luca Pizza and Italian Restaurant needs electricity to run, and those expats/foreign tourists at Belly's bar watching sport would be so sad even if the power is off for 5 seconds.

Have you heard of an invention called a generator.

colinoscapee :

Have you heard of an invention called a generator.

No. Not until I arrived in Vietnam.  :lol:  :lol:

Another long one from 08:00 to 16:00 couple of days ago. But at least this one we had notice beforehand. Hotel manager messaged me about 4 days beforehand to warn. He must have received warning from power company or checked their website (seems it's back in business with a revamped website showing current (pun intended) and future power cuts).

Also, when i called him at around 16:20 that day, the power had returned. So, seems power company stuck to the time scales.