Getting in Early

Ok, I'm looking to go somewhere on the coast (or open to suggestions) between say Danang and Vung Tau (or HCM) for the Tet Celebrations next year. Where would you suggest would be a great place to experience these celebrations and to join the locals in doing so?  Will look at all options.

Wadey

Well firstly, you would need to book way in advance for transport and accommodation wherever you decide.

Nothing really happens over the first few days of Tet as it's family time. After that it's a free-for-all of drinking,polluting and dangerous driving.

Try and find a VN family to hang out with and enjoy the time, try and stay off the roads.

Saigon is great over Tet as it's basically a ghost town.

"Ok, I'm looking to go somewhere...    ..for the Tet Celebrations next year...
                ..and to join the locals in doing so?"                                                         :o

Col (as usual) is correct.   I should have known better, but...

(Trying to) travel (and eat?) during Tet was a (Big mistake!!!) I made only once -
   - and (luckily?) survived.   Barely.    Never again.

Where to begin..?   Last year, (more than) 7 MILLION CHINESE were on the road,
  rail, sea and airways, clogging ALL transport, (any) accomodation, EVERYWHERE
in (and beyond) S.E. Asia.  ( I tried to book on a speed train (3 months before)
and no, my money was not returned...)

Returning to family, tourism, all going 'somewhere'  just the same as you...

Why?   Because the (Chinese) Lunar New Year (Tet) is when (ALL OF CHINA)
  has the 'time off' to return home from working in the cities, have money,
  will travel, will fill EVERY TRANSPORT/TRANSFER/TRANSIT TERMINAL, having
  booked months before.   More?   Deliveries cease.   Taxis are like hens teeth.
  Restaurants are (mostly) closed, as are ALL services like laundry, hairdressers,
  ALL Govt. offices, Banks, ATM's empty (you get the idea?)...   
         ..and that's only the Chinese side of the story...   Other innocents exist...

(Yes, the 7/11's saved my skin)

But hey, go for it.   We'll listen to YOUR experience...   

..without judging...     :whistle:

Bazza139 wrote:

"Ok, I'm looking to go somewhere...    ..for the Tet Celebrations next year...
                ..and to join the locals in doing so?"                                                         :o

Col (as usual) is correct.   I should have known better, but...

(Trying to) travel (and eat?) during Tet was a (Big mistake!!!) I made only once -
   - and (luckily?) survived.   Barely.    Never again.

Where to begin..?   Last year, (more than) 7 MILLION CHINESE were on the road,
  rail, sea and airways, clogging ALL transport, (any) accomodation, EVERYWHERE
in (and beyond) S.E. Asia.  ( I tried to book on a speed train (3 months before)
and no, my money was not returned...)

Returning to family, tourism, all going 'somewhere'  just the same as you...

Why?   Because the (Chinese) Lunar New Year (Tet) is when (ALL OF CHINA)
  has the 'time off' to return home from working in the cities, have money,
  will travel, will fill EVERY TRANSPORT/TRANSFER/TRANSIT TERMINAL, having
  booked months before.   More?   Deliveries cease.   Taxis are like hens teeth.
  Restaurants are (mostly) closed, as are ALL services like laundry, hairdressers,
  ALL Govt. offices, Banks, ATM's empty (you get the idea?)...   
         ..and that's only the Chinese side of the story...   Other innocents exist...

(Yes, the 7/11's saved my skin)

But hey, go for it.   We'll listen to YOUR experience...   

..without judging...     :whistle:

My bus at tet in February had 2 deep people sleeping in the aisles. Best to sit tight and enjoy the empty streets wherever you are.

I probably should have made it more clear, I will be there for 3 months arriving app early January. So looking for longer term rental. I will not be traveling 2-3 weeks prior or until 2 weeks after Tet.
Wadey

Wadey wrote:

Ok, I'm looking to go somewhere on the coast (or open to suggestions) between say Danang and Vung Tau (or HCM) for the Tet Celebrations next year. Where would you suggest would be a great place to experience these celebrations and to join the locals in doing so?  Will look at all options.

Wadey

You are travelling around Vietnam, nothing at all during the Tet Holidays. The best way to find a good friend who is living in the countryside and visit he/her cities and you can get an experience of how Vietnamese celebrate the Tet.

I was there this year in Danang, it was oh so quiet, parties? Celebrations???? Certainly not where I was. First and last TET, I would leave next time to a neighbouring country.

You should be aware that next year Tết falls approx. 24 - 30 of January. I agree with Colinoscapee above

Saigon is great over Tet as it's basically a ghost town

although, I would say it's not as much of a ghost town as it was in the past as more bars and restaurants are staying through the holiday or for most of it. Anyway, it is quite relaxing during Tết and of course offers the most in terms of nightlife, but staying there for a month or so may be too long, as the noise, air pollution, crowds, etc. can start to wear you down.

Vũng Tàu is quite dead during the first part of the holiday and then quickly becomes completely jam-packed (beaches, restaurants, hotels, streets, etc.) for the second part.

Waldey, go somewhere far away during TET... PAI  (hope they will stop the burning) in Thailand.

NEPAL - am excited about going there soon.

I see Tet as four parts in Saigon:
- The weekend and week before is preparation week. People are out shopping at night, lots of decorations, Chinatown buzzing, the flower and tree boats come up from Mekong. Happy people, fun time.
- The day before Tet (Thursday or Friday in 2020) half the city hits the roads/buses/trains to go back to their villages. Don't travel then!
- The first three days of Tet are very quiet in the city. So easy to motorbike around on empty streets. You won't starve, there is food around.
- Then people start trickling back and after the next weekend back to normal.

The cycle is probably similar in other big cities. What gets Vietnamese excited about Tet is the family and food stuff and traditions. As a foreigner, the food isn't special and I have no warm childhood memories triggered by the holiday and no relatives here. So the interesting part to me is the week before.

Christmas to New Year's is more fun. Over-the-top decorations downtown, Catholic churches get crazy decorated, and again good vibes with everyone out on the town every night.

I went to Da Lat for Tet in 2019. It was over-the-top crazy. The traffic between Saigon and Da Lat was very bad. The traffic in Da Lat was unbelievable. The motorbike traffic spilled over onto the sidewalks. There was two-way motorbike traffic on the sidewalks. We sat at one intersection for 15 minutes because the motorbikes were inextricably entangled. My stepson had to get out of the car and threaten some of the recalcitrants before things could move. The road on the north side of the lake was worse than a California freeway at rush hour.
I did enjoy my visit to Da Lat. I ate the most intensely-flavored strawberry smoothies ever. And I thoroughly enjoyed walking the streets of Da Lat. The weather was beautiful, not at all what you would expect of Vietnam.

Canman63 wrote:

I was there this year in Danang, it was oh so quiet, parties? Celebrations???? Certainly not where I was. First and last TET, I would leave next time to a neighbouring country.

My experience as well this year in Đà Nẵng.

There's no shortage of tourists in the eastern beach areas, but there was a shortage of staff as most workers went home, away from the city.

Restaurants either closed or used a limited menu. There was a shortage of fresh produce in the places where I can usually get salads and veggies.

Not sure where all the Korean and Chinese tourists were staying.

My hotel at My Khe beach was deserted, yet I'd walk out the door and be confronted with crowds seeking an open restaurant.

To ocean beach: I am quite sure I saw you on several occasions sitting along the beach sidewalk relaxing on a bench as I rode my bicycle past you.?????

Canman63 wrote:

To ocean beach: I am quite sure I saw you on several occasions sitting along the beach sidewalk relaxing on a bench as I rode my bicycle past you.?????

A good chance, as my hotel was one block from the beach, behind the Holiday Resort.

Did you ever check out Vertigo Bar?

No, where is vertigo bar?

Canman63 wrote:

No, where is vertigo bar?

Also behind the Holiday Resort

I had no idea of it , I frequented the area, I googled it, seems like a nice place, I'll have to give it a go.
Thanks for the info

The price of domestic flights around that time is absolutely ridiculous. It was cheaper for us to fly to Thailand but we settled for a return flight to Siem Reap for about 1/2 the price of a one way ticket to saigon from hanoi.

phikachu wrote:

The price of domestic flights around that time is absolutely ridiculous. It was cheaper for us to fly to Thailand but we settled for a return flight to Siem Reap for about 1/2 the price of a one way ticket to saigon from hanoi.

See this thread here on the forum:

Airfare Comparison Tools vs. Airline App

Also, my cousin in Thailand seems to get low-cost results using Trip.com

First year back in VN at TET time, back in 2012, stayed in Sai Gon alone,  :/:(:sleep 
The city seemed almost deserted compared to any other time of the year. Have my own motorbike so getting around was never any problem.
Since then, TET with the wife's family down in Ben Tre - much more enjoyable time. With family around, it's a much more enjoyable holiday time. 
Whatever you decide to do, book everything as early as you can - traveling on the roads during TET and for about a week leading up to the first day of TET can be a bit of a nightmare.

I like skyscanner for flights.

Ibizamari wrote:

I like skyscanner for flights.

I don't think you bothered to follow the link I posted above and read the thread in context

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=849396